It's 1870 and 1982 all over again - France v Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's 1870 and 1982 all over again - France v Germany

Surely the biggest tie of the opening round of games? Will France's World Champions justify their role as tournament favourites, and will Germany stumble again like they recently did against North Macedonia? Or will the tables turn inexorably once again when these two giants meet?

France beat them 6-3 in the 1958 WC and won two of the last three competitive games between them, the other being a draw. I'll take another 6-3.

Comment

Sorry to be the pedantic historian but 1870 was the Franco-Prussian war, Germany did not come into being till 1871.

Comment

Not feeling too confident for my adoptive country.

55% of Bild Zeitung readers think France will win, if that's anything to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
          Sorry to be the pedantic historian but 1870 was the Franco-Prussian war, Germany did not come into being till 1871.
          And they did not like it up them, Captain Mainwairing!

Sorry, I'm the first one on here to ridicule the nonsense of dragging up WW2 or anything before or since in relation to a football match so I went with the Franco-Prussian War to accentuate that nonsense.

Harald Schumacher, however, will never be forgiven, along with Jordan Pickford.
          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 15-06-2021, 16:15.

Comment

This really could go either way. My pessimistic prediction is it will be tedious shite.

(Come on footballing gods, prove me wrong!)

Comment

Sorry Rogin the Armchair fan , I just like showing off my knowledge of nineteenth century Mittel Europe,

Comment

Sorry Rogin the Armchair fan , I just like showing off my knowledge of nineteenth century Mittel Europe,
                I can state with confidence that I would rather have a discourse with you on this thread about that than about anything that will happen in Munich tonight. Unfortunately I'm totally shattered so might not even make it to half time after all but, yeah.
                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 15-06-2021, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  France beat them 6-3 in the 1958 WC and won two of the last three competitive games between them, the other being a draw. I'll take another 6-3.
                  Just Fontaine scored four of his record-knackering thirteen in that game. A similar outcome tonight would amuse me.

Comment

ITV have, to all extents, just echoed my opening post. So yeah, fuck Schumacher and fuck that "victory".
                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 15-06-2021, 18:45.

Comment

Germany are in white shorts...

Germany need to be white, black, white. France should be blue, white, red. It's just not that difficult.

Comment

Merde, that French shirt is toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                          Germany are in white shorts...

Germany need to be white, black, white. France should be blue, white, red. It's just not that difficult.
                          Spain seems to be one of the only countries following that tradition in this tournament

Comment

Hummels deflects in the Hernandez cross intended for Mbappé.

Comment

Brilliant volley into the top corner

Comment

Oops. Hummels OG via das left Boot.

Comment

I'm not clear what Hummels was trying to do there, presumably it wasn't scoring.

Comment

Looked like a dive, that?

Comment

That goal might open the game up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

Spain seems to be one of the only countries following that tradition in this tournament
                                        Probably because both their main colours are considered dark, which appears to be the tournament finals edict now for one side with the opponent wearing an all light kit.

Comment

A Bavaria/Baden/Hessen team would be pretty strong

Comment

Gundogan is having a fucking shocker. He's been the cause of about 10 moves breaking down.

Comment

Pogba is playing very well here. I haven't seen him play this well for years. Kante again is amazing, a true great, maybe the best player in this French generation and the best EPL player of the last 5 years or so.

France don't have to justify being favourites - World Cup holders and by no means too old or in decline - but if I were watching them for the first time, with no prior knowledge, I'd say they were very impressive. OTOH Germany are providing clues that they could be opened up by a team with better quality up front than Germany have (Belgium or England essentially).
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-06-2021, 19:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                Pogba is playing very well here. I haven't seen him play this well for years.
                                                He's with a team where he has to pull his weight, unlike his club one where he can stroll around doing fuck all and nobody says anything.

Comment

pogba regularly plays well for man utd.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X