X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    They would all have recorded a significant number of these, yes

It may be worth noting that they aren't tallied separately in ice hockey, rather they are aggregated with "primary" assists (the pass before the shot) in tables of assists and added to goals in the "scoring" tables (where goals and either kind of assist all count for one point).
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 16-06-2021, 07:17.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    In this century: Zidane, Iniesta, Pirlo?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Is the most famous modern example of this Messi to Jordi Alba, the latter cuts the ball back and somebody scores?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    in the NHL, where they have existed for decades, awarding one to the player who makes the penultimate pass before a goal is left to judgement of the official scorer.

It isn't supposed to capture importance.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Secondary assist in the NBA apparently has strict parameters (2 seconds one dribble) which makes me wonder first whether it's more suited to very quick passing sports with 5-6 players per team and second whether football just has a greater variety of ways of creating a goal that will always leave some ambiguity as to the most crucial pass. Also, the perfect goal (such as Argentina v Serbia 2006) is sometimes 10 or more passes where each is of equal importance. However, I agree that the killer ball is often the one preceding the final pass and it does need some recognition.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Which is where scratchmonkey came in.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I wonder how long it will take for them to adopt the "secondary assist" from ice hockey

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

(I was referring to the pass that set that pass up).
    Now a "pre-assist" apparently :

https://twitter.com/euro2020/status/1404930873024290824?s=21
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-06-2021, 23:24.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

The name Pique came from ‘picante’, Spanish for spicy peppers, a taste very characteristic of the Mexican cuisine, while a football next to it
    Picante means spicy and not just peppers.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Milan in Zilina colours.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Only one team had a coach, judging by who got shown on the TV coverage (soon to be Poland's ex-coach, presumably).

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    First OG and sending off combo by a team since Ned v Cze in Euro 76 SF in Zagreb.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    I used to watch Skriniar when he started at Zilina as a 17 year-old. He often used to fall over his own feet, yet he was always going to make it somewhere. I didn't quite expect him to be a Serie A champion, or be dispatching striker's finishes at international tournaments, but hats off to the lad.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Satchmo, sometimes I wonder what Florida is doing to you

What did you think he was?

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied

Leave a comment:

• steveeeeeeeee
    replied
    Can Emma Hayes co-commentate every game from here on in? She explains tactics like Adam Frost explains plants on Gardener's World. Total breath of fresh air, loved it.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
    All of Poland's chances not falling to the player they'd want to be taking them.
    The issue being that they only have one of those

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Poland had 2 or 3 really good chances towards the end. Result of the tournament so far.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    All of Poland's chances not falling to the player they'd want to be taking them.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    To my shame, I had only recently realized that this is a jalapeno:

Pique (1986, Mexico)

Hosting their second World Cup, Mexico wanted a completely different mascot from their previous one, Juanito, and thereby created Pique, a green jalapeno pepper which had a moustache and a sombrero.

The name Pique came from ‘picante’, Spanish for spicy peppers, a taste very characteristic of the Mexican cuisine, while a football next to it

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Sam Matterface has said this game is like "a night at the opera... you never know what you're going to get next".

On the contrary, most of the time you go to the opera, you're watching a story that has been circulating in the popular consciousness for hundreds of years, and turning up to the opera hoping to figure out on the night is a schoolboy error.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Slovakia looking very nervy now.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by longeared View Post
    Emma Hayes is good on co-commentary, pity they've put her with the appalling Matterface.
    Her pronunciation of Duda as "Doo-dah!" is bothering me but may be accurate for all I know.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Oh wow. That was close.

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    At this point I have to wonder how much of the Polish issues have to be put on the management team, none of their squads have seemed to be that poor when evaluated for the individual players.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X