X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milan in Zilina colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

The name Pique came from ‘picante’, Spanish for spicy peppers, a taste very characteristic of the Mexican cuisine, while a football next to it
      Picante means spicy and not just peppers.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

(I was referring to the pass that set that pass up).
        Now a "pre-assist" apparently :

https://twitter.com/euro2020/status/1404930873024290824?s=21
        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-06-2021, 23:24.

Comment

I wonder how long it will take for them to adopt the "secondary assist" from ice hockey

Comment

Which is where scratchmonkey came in.

Comment

Secondary assist in the NBA apparently has strict parameters (2 seconds one dribble) which makes me wonder first whether it's more suited to very quick passing sports with 5-6 players per team and second whether football just has a greater variety of ways of creating a goal that will always leave some ambiguity as to the most crucial pass. Also, the perfect goal (such as Argentina v Serbia 2006) is sometimes 10 or more passes where each is of equal importance. However, I agree that the killer ball is often the one preceding the final pass and it does need some recognition.

Comment

in the NHL, where they have existed for decades, awarding one to the player who makes the penultimate pass before a goal is left to judgement of the official scorer.

It isn't supposed to capture importance.

Comment

Is the most famous modern example of this Messi to Jordi Alba, the latter cuts the ball back and somebody scores?

Comment

In this century: Zidane, Iniesta, Pirlo?

Comment

They would all have recorded a significant number of these, yes

It may be worth noting that they aren't tallied separately in ice hockey, rather they are aggregated with "primary" assists (the pass before the shot) in tables of assists and added to goals in the "scoring" tables (where goals and either kind of assist all count for one point).
                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 16-06-2021, 07:17.

Comment

Working...
                      X