Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    This has turned into a "Edinburgh is further west than Cardiff" type thread, hasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    Elgin, crossroads of the North, where I spent 3 years in the early 70s, is one of the driest places in Britain

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    I think parts of West Coast Scotland are warmer than the north of England because of the Gulf Stream. The midgies are a fucking nightmare in places though.

When my nephew moved to Dundee and went sailing in the spring he said it was colder than the coldest winter day he'd ever experienced in North Wales or Merseyside. In mid winter the chill was absolutely brutal.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Front pages in Scotland:

Beware hipster men (Times)

Er... what?

Leave a comment:

• EIM
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Also if there had been a goal from a potentially longer range in the tournament that was captured on film it would be relatively easy to assess the distance using that footage.

Did anyone get anywhere with the comparative weather data for Scotland and the rest of the UK? Mine and EIM's plans are rather dependent on it.
    According to this, Rochdale and Inverness are similar in terms of average temperature and hours of Sunshine, but Inverness gets less rain.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/researc...6s#?nearestTo=

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Does anyone know what have the red tops have gone with as the back page headlines today about the Scotland game? I've not been to the newsagents.
    Front pages in Scotland:

Reality Czech (Record).
    We Still Believe (Herald)
    Scots' Lob Story (Metro)
    We're Shick as a Parrot (Star)
    Blank Czech (***)
    Beware hipster men (Times)

Leave a comment:

• Benjm
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Did anyone get anywhere with the comparative weather data for Scotland and the rest of the UK? Mine and EIM's plans are rather dependent on it.
    No, but I had a plot idea for an episode in which EIM brings home a new pet goat that accidentally gets locked in your hat room, with hilarious consequences.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Average monthly temperatures vary by 1.5 C (2.7F) more in London, England. The continentality subtype is truly oceanic for both.
    Read more: http://www.london.climatemps.com/vs/...#ixzz6xrZKoTKS

It looks like London is going to cool down after tomorrow:

https://www.bbc.com/weather/2643743

Glasgow looks like you might need a jumper:

https://www.bbc.com/weather/2648579
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-06-2021, 13:28.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    EIM positively loves being out in horizontal sleet. Have you not seen his jacket collection?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Ah, OK, thanks. ESPN have garbled it by not adding the qualifier "since UEFA (?) started keeping the stats". I suspect that if there had been a longer range goal in a finals, it would have replayed every 4 years, as this one will be.
    Also if there had been a goal from a potentially longer range in the tournament that was captured on film it would be relatively easy to assess the distance using that footage.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Does anyone know what have the red tops have gone with as the back page headlines today about the Scotland game? I've not been to the newsagents.

Leave a comment:

• AMMS
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Anecdotal obviously, but I was in a beer garden outside a pub in Edinburgh on Saturday and a gust of wind blew my nephew's (full) pint clean off the table. I've never seen that happen anywhere else.
    He should have ordered heavy...

David Marshall has gone from national hero to internet meme in a matter of months. Do we get a percentage of England's points under the Barnett Formula?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Ah, OK, thanks. ESPN have garbled it by not adding the qualifier "since UEFA (?) started keeping the stats". I suspect that if there had been a longer range goal in a finals, it would have replayed every 4 years, as this one will be.

As an aside, I notice in the 1980 compilation that Ned were given a pen v WG for a foul that was clearly starting outside the box (Belgium's pen in the final was also very close, the Germans seemingly having a strategy to bring players down around the box but erring with the refs (or poetic justice if you like). I do wonder if that WG defence could have coped with modern strikers under VAR - probably not - you'd need to be Bobby Moore class to get away with trying to time those tackles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34KJ...tball%27sGreat
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-06-2021, 17:04.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Ah, that would explain something else I read earlier about ‘most shots in one half of Euros football’ (Ned/Ukraine last night). I couldn’t recall any game from 1980 that was ‘that’ open - perhaps WG/Ned, but to my memory it didn’t really compare.

Obviously that wasn’t what was meant.

Leave a comment:

• Tommasi
    replied
    ESPN claim there was a longer range goal in Euro 80 but I have gone through a compilation of all the goals and I can't see it. Zoff conceded (another) long-range effort in the 3rd placed game* but it doesn't look like 54 yards plus..
    Maybe because of this

@OptaJoe

49.7 - Patrik Schick's second goal (49.7 yards) is the furthest distance from which a goal has been scored on record at the European Championships (since 1980). Ridiculous.
    Doesn't mean there was a longer one in 1980, just that they only start counting from then for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Originally posted by NHH View Post

Who's his Dad?

eh, naebdy. Had mixed him up with Callum Hendry, whose dad is Colin Hendry.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Le freak, c'est Schick.

Done a while ago, matey.

Have we explicitly had Schick being razor-sharp?

Leave a comment:

• NHH
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Hendry is as shite as his da it seems.
    Who's his Dad?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Le freak, c'est Schick.

Leave a comment:

• anton pulisov
    replied
    Very fancy goal there from Schick.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    ESPN claim there was a longer range goal in Euro 80 but I have gone through a compilation of all the goals and I can't see it. Zoff conceded (another) long-range effort in the 3rd placed game* but it doesn't look like 54 yards plus.

*Brazil should have been pinging in long shots in 1982, in addition to Falcao's.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-06-2021, 15:20.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Unlucky, had a few chances blah fucking blah. Although I'm glad we didn't put ten men behind the ball and try to edge it 1-0 with our only chance of the game. I would prefer to play positively and lose. If you were a neutral, I expect that was a pretty good second half.

Just not quite good enough. As usual.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    You're Schick, and you know you are...

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    Scots were decent with an unfortunately blunt edge, quite a difference having QPR's Lyndon Dykes up front versus having Shick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X