No announcement yet.

Austria v North Macedonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another sumptuous assist for an Austrian goal.

Comment

Assist of the tournament by Alaba.

Comment

Two friggin' scorchers of goals made up for the Ringling Brothers one they gave up.

Comment

Keeper should have cut out that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
            Keeper should have cut out that chance.
            As goalkeeper's advocate, I am asking for full exoneration and full blame on the defender.

The cross came in fast and picked up speed as it was traveling, and the keeper still made his way 5 yards out to get to the 6 yard box. Even if he jumped at an angle and attacked the cross, it still was traveling at such a velocity and Gergoristich was coming with such speed that it still would have scored.

That defender needed to do one of those flying slide volleys to knock it out for a corner. No way a near post cross that far from the goal should be blamed on the keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
              Assist of the tournament by Alaba.
              I think the one for Austria's opener is in pole position so far.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post

The cross came in fast and picked up speed as it was traveling
                Can that actually happen? It's a long time since I studied physics...

Comment

At least the closeness is justification for admitting the "D stream" teams.

Comment

RE: The second Austrian goal, I think we're often spoiled by getting to watch some top-level keepers in terms of athleticism to go with response speed, I could see Alisson or Neuer getting out fast enough to block the shot; it would be exceptional though and would tend to agree with jv that primary fault there is with the defender.

Comment

And as I say that, amateur hour in the Macedonian defence.

Comment

Entertaining game from what i've seen. Who's the ITV commentator?

Comment

Osterreich or OtherBrasil?

Backheelin' wheelin' dealin'....this ain't 2008

Comment

Did something that I missed prompt that trash talk and gesticulation at the Macedonian players from Arnautovic in his celebration?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              Did something that I missed prompt that trash talk and gesticulation at the Macedonian players from Arnautovic in his celebration?
                              Was that who he was aiming at? Some seemed to be at the crowd, some at his own team-mates. Was Alaba trying to shut him up? That was the oddest goal celebration I've seen for a bit.

Comment

I think he got kicked at some point. Also he's a tremendous ass, which cracked me up when he was stonefaced talking crap to Aliovski and mockingly ruffled his hair on the ensuing kickoff.

Comment

That was a good game, rambunctious but punctuated with some moments of real quality.

Comment

North Macedonia played better than a Nations League 4th tier side might have been expected to but not well enough to look significantly better than the weakest sides of recent tournaments (like that Ireland one that got thrashed in 2012).

Comment

I just assumed he was mouthing off about being left out of the starting XI - the guy has a massive ego

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post

I just assumed he was mouthing off about being left out of the starting XI - the guy has a massive ego
                                        A bit much to have a go at the Macedonian keeper and/or defenders about that though.

Comment

Best game so far. I was laughing at the Grigoritsch substitution because I've seen him come on in the Bundesliga so often and then miss a golden chance to save or swing or win the game. I expertly pointed this out, but luckily by the time he scored no one could remember me saying it, or probably weren't listening in the first place.

Comment

It's Arnautovic, I don't think he discriminates in who he's angry at.

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/...383978499?s=09

Comment

I wondered if he was making a Balkans conflict-related point to the Macedonians, a la Swiss Kosovans v Serbia

Comment

It's possible Arnautović was making a Balkan point although he's Austrian born without the political prisoner/refugee family heritage that Xhaka has. Perhaps he was racially abusing the ethnic Albanian Macedonians (such as Alioski). He does have form for racial abuse from his Twente youth days, but then he has form for most things.
                                                I liked Alaba's "shut the fuck up" face grab, and the other player who slapped his face. I wonder how many times he's been beaten up by team mates? Double figures at least.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe. I just watched the BBC highlights and it looked like it may have been aimed in Aliokosi's direction.

Also this came up first on a Twitter search for "Arnautovic celebration" though I can't vouch for it's veracity :

https://twitter.com/xhuliano23/status/1404174561747288064?s=21
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-06-2021, 23:06.

Comment

I must admit that my first thought was that it was a racially-charged rant towards the North Macedonian players, given the direction of his verbal volley and the associated body language.

He was angry because he didn't start the game, said Clive and/or Ally
                                                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 14-06-2021, 00:31.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X