No announcement yet.

Denmark v Finland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are more important places to have them than in schools, but it can’t hurt.

They’re at lot cheaper than they used to be. The first ones for the mass market came out about 15 years ago and were $4,000. Now they’re $1,500 or less.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

If the heart stops, the survival rate with manual CPR is like 8%, IIRC. But there are lots of factors. A professional footballer is not a typical case of sudden cardiac arrest.

And the medical staff at a stadium are well-trained and possibly experienced at it. They usually treat spectators, of course, but are ready to treat participants.

Of course, if the heart stops and no CPR is tried, the survival rate is zero, so it’s good to learn it. And AEDs are widely available now, which helps a lot.

We saw the lifeguards doing compressions on somebody at the beach in Delaware last year. No idea how that ended, but we didn’t see anything in the paper, so maybe it worked out.
      but important to have a go even if no AED, I was lucky, manual CPR was sstarted and someone went for the AED. The indeed the fitness sound ago have helped as just one use for him. I was told CPR was given to me for about 40mins in total and a few shocks from the AED. I was then in an induced coma for about a week so it sounds much more promising for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
        This was the first time I saw anything like this - Hank Gathers of Loyola Marymount in 1990. (VERY tough viewing, especially it came after an amazing alley-oop.)
        ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kia8j3TDyL4
        Loyola Marymount had a former title-winning Lakers coach named Paul Westphal, and that team was described as needing to use bicycles to keep up with them from how much they ran.

Coincidentally, Eric Spoelstra of the Miami Heat was a sophomore on the Portland team in that game. He would deal with the same issues with Chris Bosh as a coach. https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...04-column.html

When I saw the chest compressions on Eriksen, there never was a time I saw a player survive that.
        I think the first video is too harrowing, even with a warning.

Comment

They have a defibrillator outside the coroner's court in Loughborough, which while eminently sensible, does make me chuckle every time I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I think the first video is too harrowing, even with a warning.
            I was watching it live when it happened and I can still see it when I close my eyes, really heavy stuff.

Was doing a little bit of reading on cardiac arrests and while the survival and disability numbers are very frightening, Eriksen is in a subset of patients that have the best chances -- attention given almost immediately, very short period of time without a pulse, regained consciousness fairly quickly, hoping he'll have many many years yet to enjoy his family and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

I was watching it live when it happened and I can still see it when I close my eyes, really heavy stuff.

Was doing a little bit of reading on cardiac arrests and while the survival and disability numbers are very frightening, Eriksen is in a subset of patients that have the best chances -- attention given almost immediately, very short period of time without a pulse, regained consciousness fairly quickly, hoping he'll have many many years yet to enjoy his family and friends.
              A plus of this situation is that it is giving further publicity and hopefully it will encourage people to take courses to learn CPR,there are also various charities helping to provide defribs as well as the CRY charity :https://www.c-r-y.org.uk that people might like to take a look at.

As you say the survival rates are grim, but you can survive and ICD tech can help give you some assurance, but it is a real B*gger when it goes off, but the alternative is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by wishis View Post
                As you say the survival rates are grim, but you can survive and ICD tech can help give you some assurance, but it is a real B*gger when it goes off, but the alternative is worse.
                Yes, my cousin has one because of a congenital issue that they luckily found when she was fairly young, it's gone off once and while she was badly shaken, she is effectively living normally now.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

Yes, my cousin has one because of a congenital issue that they luckily found when she was fairly young, it's gone off once and while she was badly shaken, she is effectively living normally now.
                  I was in a chair, felt dizzy next thing I'm on the floor surrounded by broken glass and dazed, then took a few days for the rate to settle down and getting my daily alarm call until I could get to hospital to have it reset.

As you say there is then the worry.

Comment

Very glad to hear that it did its job, hopefully that does afford some peace of mind.

Comment

Seconded wishis

Comment

but important to have a go even if no AED, I was lucky, manual CPR was sstarted and someone went for the AED. The indeed the fitness sound ago have helped as just one use for him. I was told CPR was given to me for about 40mins in total and a few shocks from the AED. I was then in an induced coma for about a week so it sounds much more promising for him.
                        That's amazing... Great that you pulled through. I'm glad I learned CPR at school. But that was last century. Time for a refresher course! Thanks for making us aware about the need

Comment

Good God, that is harrowing! Fantastic result.

Comment

I think it i was more harrowing for those carrying it out on me and having see me drop, I don't remember anything of the actual event, and only some weird drug induced dreams whilst in the coma, probably when they were looking to wake me up. And of course for my family hearing about it and seeing me in hospital.

it does.take something used to, and seeing the him to down on the TV, was surreal as was a bit like watching what had actually happened to me, albeit for some one much fitter and about 15 years younger than me.

Comment

This has got me thinking about footballers and heart health. There seems to have been several retired footballers dying of heart problems at a young age. A few weeks back ex-Shrewsbury player Steve Jageilka died after collapsing. Should more be done about heart health with footballers?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                This has got me thinking about footballers and heart health. There seems to have been several retired footballers dying of heart problems at a young age. A few weeks back ex-Shrewsbury player Steve Jageilka died after collapsing. Should more be done about heart health with footballers?
                                Justin Edinburgh was around the time I had my episode as well. I would not put myself in the same fitness bracket as professional footballers....

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  I've been thinking about that, too.

You seem to hear a fair bit about sportspeople with heart issues (even if you discount 1990s cyclists, for which there are other explanations). And I was wondering what the reason is. I've come up with all kinds of possible hypotheses, but don't know what's true:

- It's actually nothing to write home about. With something like 4,000 professional footballers in England alone, you'd expect these things to happen from time to time. It's the same proportion as what would happen in the general population, except professional footballers are in the public eye?

- Being a professional sportsperson obviously puts loads more pressure on the cardiovascular system than would happen to a "normal" person and this highlights defects that don't show up in people who spend their days at desks and in the pub until much later in life?

- There's something about training hard that actually creates problems. Does training hard thicken blood?

Comment

The controversy around playing the game is growing. I'd like to see UEFA have to answer for it, even though it's unlikely.

Comment

The thing is that UEFA presented the decision to restart at 2030 as being 'according to the wishes of the Danish team'. Statements from the Danish team later revealed that they were given a choice of restarting that evening or the following afternoon. UEFA couldn't even tell the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                                        The thing is that UEFA presented the decision to restart at 2030 as being 'according to the wishes of the Danish team'. Statements from the Danish team later revealed that they were given a choice of restarting that evening or the following afternoon. UEFA couldn't even tell the truth.
                                        That's the most telling bit for me, that UEFA weasely tried to make it seem like they were doing what the Danish team wanted when it was them who had given them an impossible choice. Absolute failure in terms of leadership and/or humanity; I doubt anybody familiar with how UEFA operates would be surprised though.

ETA: The Athletic has two articles up today on the incident, one on the medical setup at the stadium (the two main doctors both work for FC Copenhagen, are brothers, and were international-level badminton players) and one on the experience of Derek Rae and Efan Ekoku as the ESPN commentators. Both articles are excellent.
                                        Last edited by scratchmonkey; 14-06-2021, 15:43.

Comment

https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1404333673978155010

Comment

From what I understand, athletes have a lower chance of heart attacks than the general population due to overall superior cardiovascular health. But when they do get struck by a heart attack, they are more likely to occur on live TV or get reported in the news (due to the celebrity status). So perhaps it just seems to our perception to occur a lot in footballers.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I've been thinking about that, too.

You seem to hear a fair bit about sportspeople with heart issues (even if you discount 1990s cyclists, for which there are other explanations). And I was wondering what the reason is. I've come up with all kinds of possible hypotheses, but don't know what's true:

- It's actually nothing to write home about. With something like 4,000 professional footballers in England alone, you'd expect these things to happen from time to time. It's the same proportion as what would happen in the general population, except professional footballers are in the public eye?

- Being a professional sportsperson obviously puts loads more pressure on the cardiovascular system than would happen to a "normal" person and this highlights defects that don't show up in people who spend their days at desks and in the pub until much later in life?

- There's something about training hard that actually creates problems. Does training hard thicken blood?

There is at least one more plausible explanation that I really don't want to direct at any particular player (because it couldn't ever be said to explain any particular case), but is there and with other issues Football has wouldn't be all that surprising. I'm thinking of high rate of heart issues in middle age suffered by those who formed the 90s professional cycling peleton...

Comment

Too soon?

Comment

Another remarkable read

https://www.theguardian.com/football...life-was-saved

Comment

Amazing stroke of luck, that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X