Denmark v Finland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
    Eriksen has been a bit off the boil the last few seasons, certainly compared to how good he was five or so years ago. Is it possible he's had some kind of condition for a while? Do players get checked up for these things regularly (i.e more regularly then the standard population)? Or can a heart attack just strike a 29 year old who comes through such checkups with flying colours?

Whatever about football, I hope he lives to be a great grandfather.
    The most common result in the US from outwardly similar incidents is the diagnosis of a structural heart anomaly that had previously gone unnoticed. They are the kinds of things that even general MRIs and cardiac stress tests can (and do) miss.

Comment

One thing that I was wondering about and was answered by a report from the Denmark trainer is that Eriksen had not contracted covid at any point (and given the testing taking place in professional leagues, this would have to be a fairly certain thing).

I had to turn the game off after the feed started trying to capture his treatment through the legs of his teammates attempting to protect his privacy, I just couldn't take it anymore. Absolutely don't feel that the game should have been restarted today, hopefully the Danish team (and likely the Finns as well) get the mental health attention they need/deserve after a traumatic event like that.

One small silver lining is that a high-level football match that's 500m from the best hospital in Denmark is possibly the safest place in the world to have a medical emergency. (Even safer than the hospital itself, given how fast the pitchside medics got there.)

Comment

Originally posted by RobM View Post
        Closest thing I can think of that could compare to that was Heysel hosting the game an hour or so after the deaths there.

Seemed utterly pointless and a bit numbing both times.
        I had a similar comparison in mind, but only because I didn't know what had happened on each occasion. In 1985 I was in a backpackers hostel, and only knew that kick off was delayed (the delay was probably being explained on TV, but in Chinese). Felt annoyed. Then they started showing the footage. Felt sick.

Today I slept through the game (early morning) and checked the score first - Finland, get in ... then read the rest, felt sick again.

Comment

There is at least one anti-vax muppet on Twitter pushing a completely false narrative that Eriksen had dad COVID and recently been vaccinated,

Comment

That was one of the most harrowing things I've ever watched. I assumed I had just seen a young man die on BBC television. I felt sick, and hopeless, and devastated. Watching his distraught teammates protect him as they did, in the state they were in, made me cry. I'm still choking up thinking about it.

Thank you to anyone who has had any sort of medical training at all. Thank you for devoting your time to protect ours. What incredible, selfless, heroic people.

Comment

This is five years old but I think it’s current. There’s no accurate way to screen for these issues and a lot of the possible strategies would yield a lot of false positives.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art.../#!po=0.666667

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                That was one of the most harrowing things I've ever watched. I assumed I had just seen a young man die on BBC television. I felt sick, and hopeless, and devastated. Watching his distraught teammates protect him as they did, in the state they were in, made me cry. I'm still choking up thinking about it.

Thank you to anyone who has had any sort of medical training at all. Thank you for devoting your time to protect ours. What incredible, selfless, heroic people.
                Well said. I’ve not known what to post on this thread, but you’ve done it for me.

Comment

So Simon Kjaer had to be subbed because he couldn't play on. That game should not have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

The most common result in the US from outwardly similar incidents is the diagnosis of a structural heart anomaly that had previously gone unnoticed. They are the kinds of things that even general MRIs and cardiac stress tests can (and do) miss.
                    When players sign for a club they go through more stringent medical tests I believe than during the pre season medical tests. That might have changed now.

The late Antonio de Nigris had his playing licence in Turkey cancelled while at Ankaragücü due to a heart condition that was picked up in a medical.

However he was then allowed to sign for Larissa in Greece and died from a heart attack aged just 31 that was caused by the same condition, according to reports in Turkey.

Comment

That does still tend to be the case, at least for clubs of Inter's status, but my understanding is that even those tests would generally not be sufficient to uncover such a congenital issue unless the attending cardiologist had reason to run special tests.

Comment

For Antonio de Nigris he would have had at least three medicals before signing for clubs in Turkey, as none of them were loans, and I'm not sure when exactly the condition was picked up, I think during a pre season training camp and not before a transfer.

With Antonio de Nigris the shock, in Turkey at least, was that he was allowed to continue playing in another country with the condition he had and that he even passed a medical there.

I've no idea, or wish to speculate, on Eriksen.

Comment

It is shocking that he was allowed to play in Greece, and I wonder if they would have been equally dismissive of results from a country with which their relations were less fraught,

Comment

It is shocking that he was allowed to play in Greece, and I wonder if they would have been equally dismissive of results from a country with which their relations were less fraught,
                            There's that to consider along with his own understanding of the results. He died at home, not in a training session or a match, but was it caused by them?

A tragedy. Perhaps avoidable, perhaps not.

Comment

I’m finding it difficult not to recollect the incidents involving Marc-Vivien Foe and Fabrice Muamba. Clearly those conditions and outcomes were very different to one another. Just hope Eriksen has a complete recovery, but that’s bloody obvious. Playing again is secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                https://twitter.com/JohnBennettBBC/status/1403811431590551556

So it appears UEFA gave players choice of playing today or tomorrow. No duty of care at all, I hope the players are all getting looked after.
                                if this is correct is anyone surprised about this?UEFA are just like FIFA,a vile organisation whos only concern is money

Comment

Several very moving posts here. OTF the place to go, as usual, for helping to 'process' an occurrence like this. I'm also shocked the game was allowed to (had to) continue. On the other hand, once it was announced it was going to, I found I wanted to keep watching it. It somehow seemed the only way for a helpless onlooker to show solidarity with Christian Eriksen's mates, as they tried to do what he should have been doing with them. No surprise at all that some couldn't manage it. The result feels oddly appropriate too, just because a Denmark win would have been tritely portrayed as them 'paying the best possible tribute to Christian' etc etc.

I'm another for whom the night brought back a painful memory. I hope this isn't going to be too long, or hijack the thread, so please ignore if appropriate...

When I was in lower-sixth, I was in our school's rugby 1st XV squad, sometimes starting games, sometimes replacement. One Wednesday of that autumn (1986), I was replacement for a game against a team from Stafford. We couldn't get a neutral referee, so our games teacher, Mr Lynn James (affectionately known as Jesse) was the man in the middle. Mr James was a Welshman, and almost the cliche of the Welsh rugby fanatic. He was an unforgettable character, with a remarkable voice and an eccentric sense of humour. He was also a generous, sensitive man, by any standards really, but definitely by those of an 80s boys' grammar school PE teacher. He was one of the few teachers I had back then who made you feel better after an individual interaction with him than you'd felt before.

Anyway, the rugby game in question had been going about 20 minutes, with the score still 0-0. A boy from the opposing team took a knock. Mr James checked on him and was about to restart proceedings when he suddenly collapsed. As with Eriksen last night, I had a very confused few seconds, not quite understanding how a person could be prone on the ground like that when they'd been running around just moments before. People rushed on from the sidelines, including parents (my dad was one, and I think one of the opposition dads was a doctor) and other teachers. An ambulance was called, but it would have taken precious seconds to even get to a phone, as the pitch we were playing on was the furthest from the changing-rooms. Plus our playing fields were in a rural location and it must have taken the ambulance a good 20 minutes to get there. It was all in vain. Mr James passed away there on the rugby pitch. He was 52.

Our school processed the collective grief pretty well. There were assemblies and a memorial service. At the latter, our RE teacher actually said what we all knew Mr James would have said ; that, rather than sitting in church, we should have been back on the rugby pitch playing out the abandoned match. But individually, there was no professional help, and I guess a few of us could have used it. Most of the other lads in the team were a year older than me, and there was only one I could have described as a friend. I don't really know how any of them coped with it later on.

But around a year ago, I got the chance to recount the experience. I'm a teacher now myself and the head at our school had asked us for reflections on teachers who had inspired us as students (or done the opposite) as part of a training on how to motivate our own students. I don't think he wanted 1,000 words, but that's about what I wrote about Mr James. At almost the same time, it transpired that my old school was rebuilding the old changing-rooms at the playing-fields (they hadn't changed since Mr James' day and must have been in a disgusting state) and that one ex-student of my generation had offered a sizeable donation towards the renovation on condition that the new facility be named the 'Lynn James Pavilion'. All this was publicised on the school website, and they asked for former students' memories of Mr James. I sent my article in, and there were some other lovely memories there.

What to add to bring this back to where it should be, with Christian Eriksen? The events are 35 years apart, but I know I felt much the same ; the despair of the onlooker hoping desperately that someone lives, but knowing very well they might not. In both cases, everything that could have been done was done, even if the outcomes, initially at least, were different. Whether Christian Eriksen plays football again is probably the least relevant thing now, but I hope he will recover and get to spend lots of happy times with his family, loved ones and team-mates. Also that everyone there last night - players from both teams, officials, medics, fans - will get whatever help they need and that having to play out the game hasn't worsened the trauma for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Well said. I’ve not known what to post on this thread, but you’ve done it for me.
                                    Yes, thanks also to EIM . Describes my feelings far better than I could.

Comment

Thanks for that post jameswba

Comment

Morning all. Thanks for all the comments above

Comment

IIRC that was the case with Fabrice Muamba and also Clive Clark who collapsed during a Nottingham Forest-Leicester game. Both Muamba and Clark lived (and still do) but neither played ever again.

Comment

This was the first time I saw anything like this - Hank Gathers of Loyola Marymount in 1990. (VERY tough viewing, especially it came after an amazing alley-oop.)
                                            ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kia8j3TDyL4
                                            Loyola Marymount had a former title-winning Lakers coach named Paul Westphal, and that team was described as needing to use bicycles to keep up with them from how much they ran.

Coincidentally, Eric Spoelstra of the Miami Heat was a sophomore on the Portland team in that game. He would deal with the same issues with Chris Bosh as a coach. https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...04-column.html

When I saw the chest compressions on Eriksen, there never was a time I saw a player survive that.
                                            Last edited by jason voorhees; 13-06-2021, 11:27.

Comment

No way were these poor young men in any state to decide whether to play a game or not, let alone play it.

Comment

I didn't watch the game, thankfully. I was a spectator at the York v Lincoln game back in 1990 when David Longhurst collapsed and died andit's an incident that still holds a clear place. Obviously there wasn't the medical backup there that you have now, even at the lower level of the game and I do wonder if he might have survived had those facilities and training been available.
                                                I'm disappointed but not surprised that UEFA pushed to get the game played, the soulless cunts. The schedule is far more important to them than the welfare of the players.

Comment

Originally posted by jason voorhees View Post
                                                  This was the first time I saw anything like this - Hank Gathers of Loyola Marymount in 1990. (VERY tough viewing, especially it came after an amazing alley-oop.)
                                                  ​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kia8j3TDyL4
                                                  Loyola Marymount had a former title-winning Lakers coach named Paul Westphal, and that team was described as needing to use bicycles to keep up with them from how much they ran.

Coincidentally, Eric Spoelstra of the Miami Heat was a sophomore on the Portland team in that game. He would deal with the same issues with Chris Bosh as a coach. https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...04-column.html

When I saw the chest compressions on Eriksen, there never was a time I saw a player survive that.
                                                  If the heart stops, the survival rate with manual CPR is like 8%, IIRC. But there are lots of factors. A professional footballer is not a typical case of sudden cardiac arrest.

And the medical staff at a stadium are well-trained and possibly experienced at it. They usually treat spectators, of course, but are ready to treat participants.

Of course, if the heart stops and no CPR is tried, the survival rate is zero, so it’s good to learn it. And AEDs are widely available now, which helps a lot.

We saw the lifeguards doing compressions on somebody at the beach in Delaware last year. No idea how that ended, but we didn’t see anything in the paper, so maybe it worked out.

Comment

They definitely used an AED yesterday. Those are also mandatory for every school to have and every teacher to be trained in.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X