No announcement yet.

Denmark v Finland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazed this game is going ahead. Really hope it was genuinely the players' decision and they weren't pressured to play it.

Comment

Finland score

Comment

Decent header. Poor Schmeichel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
          Amazed this game is going ahead. Really hope it was genuinely the players' decision and they weren't pressured to play it.
          UEFA originally said that the game was suspended and wouldn't be replayed.

Comment

Penalty to Denmark - looks like VAR should overturn it.

Comment

And justice is done after it didn't even go to VAR.

Comment

Rubbish penalty. A Gerry Gow special...

Comment

elguapo,.do you have a link to that UEFA statement?
                  ​​​​​​

The first one I saw was this, which is rather different

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403765507682193409

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    ​​​​​​

https://twitter.com/UEFA/status/1403777945567744009?s=20

Comment

Suomi!

Comment

Closest thing I can think of that could compare to that was Heysel hosting the game an hour or so after the deaths there.

Seemed utterly pointless and a bit numbing both times.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          ​​​​​​

I'm not on twitter, I'm sure it came up on the screen, during the BBC coverage, just before they cut back to the studio.

Comment

Comment

I obviously mis read it.

Comment

No worries

Comment

Just caught up on this. I was offline for about 5 hours and am really shocked by the news. Thank God Eriksson is OK.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JohnBennettBBC/status/1403811431590551556

So it appears UEFA gave players choice of playing today or tomorrow. No duty of care at all, I hope the players are all getting looked after.
                                    Last edited by RobW; 12-06-2021, 20:48.

Comment

Not sure how much of a choice the Danish players really had given this from their head coach ;

"We had two options to play the game [today] or tomorrow at 12pm and everyone agreed to play today. You can't play a game with such feelings. We tried to win. It was incredible they managed to go out and try to play the second half.

“Honestly, there were players out there that were completely done. Emotionally done and emotionally exhausted.”

Comment

This whole thing is horrendous. And it’s only a small thing, but a historic win for Finland has a question mark next to it, too

Comment

Everybody in our household was surprised the game was allowed to go ahead today. As it seems was everyone in the BBC studio. A baffling decision to me. And one I'd say the players were in no state to make for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            Not sure how much of a choice the Danish players really had given this from their head coach ;

"We had two options to play the game [today] or tomorrow at 12pm and everyone agreed to play today. You can't play a game with such feelings. We tried to win. It was incredible they managed to go out and try to play the second half.

“Honestly, there were players out there that were completely done. Emotionally done and emotionally exhausted.”
                                            I just read this - ok, so UEFA gave them hobson's choice. Nice.

Comment

I hope Denmark can recover enough to beat Russia, whom they'd normally overcome fairly easily, but am not optimistic.

Finland can certainly beat Russia.

Apparently this was Finland's first win over Denmark since 1949. Huge asterisk, sadly, which is not their fault.

Comment

Eriksen has been a bit off the boil the last few seasons, certainly compared to how good he was five or so years ago. Is it possible he's had some kind of condition for a while? Do players get checked up for these things regularly (i.e more regularly then the standard population)? Or can a heart attack just strike a 29 year old who comes through such checkups with flying colours?

Whatever about football, I hope he lives to be a great grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  I hope Denmark can recover enough to beat Russia, whom they'd normally overcome fairly easily, but am not optimistic.
                                                  Yes, agreed, especially after Russia not taking the knee and their fans booing Belgium for doing it. Well, I assume it was that and not Belgian fans booing the Russian team.

Comment

Bloody hell, just watched the footage of the Danish players coming back onto the pitch and being applauded by the Finns and I am in bits so I have no idea how they managed to complete the match.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X