No announcement yet.

Other club mentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we had Cheltenham Town yet? If not, then just then.

Comment

Shockers getting us loads of mentions - makes Cheltenham sound big time.

Apparently, and the Irish guys on here can clarify, his name is pronounced O'Shognessy not Shornessy. He was very firm in this belief when interviewed by our local journo.

Comment

Scunthorpe's hopes of a mention rest with a series of injuries/positive Covid tests for Pickford and Henderson, and the commentator then picking us out from the other six loan spells Sam Johnstone had from Man United.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
          Shockers getting us loads of mentions - makes Cheltenham sound big time.

Apparently, and the Irish guys on here can clarify, his name is pronounced O'Shognessy not Shornessy. He was very firm in this belief when interviewed by our local journo.
          I could be wrong but I think Jude Bellingham's dad briefly played for Cheltenham Town in the 90s. He was a prolific non-league striker so whenever Bellingham gets on I'm waiting for a load of non-league mentions. Alas, not to be, so far.
          Last edited by Jon; 23-06-2021, 23:11.

Comment

Mark Bellingham did - our local journalist likes to tweet about it whenever Jude comes on.

He played for us in 96/97 which was when Steve Cotterill took over and we went up to the Conference due to Gresley's ground not being up to code. I can't say I remember him at all.

Comment

It's interesting how many internationals are late bloomers, despite academy systems.

Comment

Not unlike "five star" recruits in US gridiron and basketball.

Projecting 17 and 18 year olds is an inherently risky business and talent will always slip through the cracks.

Comment

Players who were or have been consistently world class or near enough from the age of 18 or so until their early or mid thirties are perhaps more difficult to identify than one might think. I'm talking season after season brilliance with only the occasional drop in form.

Comment

Tyldesley just mentioned York City, but I wasn't really listening to what he was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                      Tyldesley just mentioned York City, but I wasn't really listening to what he was talking about.
                      Lubo Satka, whose error started the chain of calamitous events that led to Spain's first goal and has generally had a stinker in this match, was one of Jackie McNamara's cavalcade of dreadful loan signings back in our last League 2 relegation season.

Comment

Mark Bellingham did - our local journalist likes to tweet about it whenever Jude comes on.

He played for us in 96/97 which was when Steve Cotterill took over and we went up to the Conference due to Gresley's ground not being up to code. I can't say I remember him at all.
                        Ah thanks for confirming that for me, Simon. I was checking out Mark Bellingham's twitter feed to try and find out if he had or not. I've only ever heard nice things about him and his tweets and retweets confirm that.

Comment

Once upon a time International teams were listed with the player's club side beneath his name. Not sure when, or why, the practice ended.

Comment

About the same time when referees stopped being listed with their home towns.

Both of those were always more of a thing in the UK, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              About the same time when referees stopped being listed with their home towns.
                              Yeah that too. But I do especially miss the club reference.

Comment

They used to have the club name in the Panini albums but they've dropped that detail.

Comment

And I'd always feel sorry for that one player who was listed as "unattached".

Comment

Indeed. Why mention his romantic status but nobody else's?

Comment

Just catching up with the last three pages of the thread, I only just spotted this from last week:
                                      Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      The Loons (yes, really)

Pleasingly, footballwise, the common loon is what's known to UK birders as the great northern diver. It's fair to say that no club here are likely to use it on their badge and be known as The Divers, considering.

Comment

Swindon get mentioned, a slip of the tongue when it should have been Sweden.

Comment

"former Sunderland man" (Czech)

Well, they've been "other" for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                            Bristol City just got a mention
                                            They've been mentioned at least three times on German television. Each time as "Bristol".

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                              Chippenham and Ipswich mentioned for Tyrone Mings.
                                              I only recently found out that Adie Mings, who made me look like a carthorse in ankle shackles every time I played against him 30-odd years ago, is Tyrone's dad.

As you were.

Comment

That's Gloucester City Legend Adie Mings.

He's currently acting as Director of Football or something similar at Gloucester City these days.

Comment

That's Gloucester City Legend Adie Mings.

He's currently acting as Director of Football or something similar at Gloucester City these days.
                                                  Yes, that's him. One of the physically strongest players I've ever had the misfortune to have to mark. I bet he'd give his son a hard time even now.

Comment

Port Vale get a namecheck for being the last club Zinchenko scored against.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X