No announcement yet.

Other club mentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are most of these mentions ones that a non-UK broadcaster wouldn't bother doing, such as the Moyes one, or is it common across many nations to mention the clubs of players? Similarly, are British commentators mentioning every club on every player's CV irrespective of the league, or only if the CV has a British club on it?

Comment

See ad hoc's mention of the Romanians getting a Poli Timisoara link in.

Everyone does it in my experience.

Comment

I don't know the answer to Satchmo's question. But it's understandable for commentators to try and make the link to a team people may have heard of it. They love their factoids that show their deep knowledge of the game.

FC Dallas (mentioned in HUNPOR) was a bit of a stretch but in that case there was an explanation attached too - "plays in the MLS with FC Dallas".

Comment

Montreal Impact getting a mention following Finland's latest substitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
            Just as well you beat me to it, as despite only hearing the name a few minutes ago, I'd already misremembered it as Montreal Slammers.

Which sounds better, in fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
              A club that hasn't existed for more than six months (now Club de Foot Montréal)

Comment

Peter Drury was more onto it, just said "Montreal" and then quit while he was ahead.

Comment

Ooh. Truro City and Dorchester Town.

Comment

Kieffer Moore is going to own the thread (Nathan Blake on radio gave us Forest Green in the last game). Also rejected by Torquay and Exeter.

Comment

Plus Paignton Saints, Torquay United, Yeovil Town and "played in Norway"

Comment

Tangential coverage of Wednesday as the nation gets to see Rob Page scoring against us in 1999. BBC disgrace, scrap the licence fee etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                          Kieffer Moore is going to own the thread (Nathan Blake on radio gave us Forest Green in the last game). Also rejected by Torquay and Exeter.
                          The BBC website has a "name Kieffer Moore's former clubs" quiz

Comment

And still no mention of Rotherham United.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                              And still no mention of Rotherham United.
                              It's about other clubs GO, not the elite.

Comment

I had to look up Kieffer Moore's wiki, as I get him confused with the sort of similarly named Kemar Roofe, who rose to prominence at around the same time.

Quite a career, he's like a West Country Jamie Vardy. And I was intrigued that he was exploring eligibility for China through a great grandparent, before settling on a Welsh grandparent.
                                And I was further intrigued by his middle names, Roberto Francisco. I presume his parents were fans of Kieffer Surherland, but perhaps also Roberto Baggio and Silvino Francisco?

Comment

Middlesbrough get a mention as their former player gets booked

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

Blimey, talk about a blast from the past. I really liked him when he was here and yet I'd forgotten about him so thoroughly that it took me a good 5 minutes to place him even after reading his name. As you can probably tell from this I didn't watch the Holland game though so no idea
                                    Hurrah! Well done Jonathan Pearce (something I never thought I'd say).

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                      I had to look up Kieffer Moore's wiki, as I get him confused with the sort of similarly named Kemar Roofe, who rose to prominence at around the same time.

Quite a career, he's like a West Country Jamie Vardy. And I was intrigued that he was exploring eligibility for China through a great grandparent, before settling on a Welsh grandparent.
                                      And I was further intrigued by his middle names, Roberto Francisco. I presume his parents were fans of Kieffer Surherland, but perhaps also Roberto Baggio and Silvino Francisco?
                                      Kemar Roofe IS an anagram of (sounds like) Kieffer Moore

Comment

Clive Tyldesley gave Middlesbrough another mention in the earlier game and told us that Martin Brathwaite had gone from playing with Jonny Howson and Britt Assombalonga to Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann.

Comment

Martin Brathwaite is like a name Dickens would give to a factory worker.

Comment

Barnsley (Ian Darke on John Stones).

Comment

Some discussion about QPR relating to Dykes earlier.

Comment

Hereford, Tranmere and Hull. All previous loan destinations for the Hungary goalie.

Comment

Pafos of Cyprus just got mentioned as Arajuuri of Finland's club, which also prompted a mention of his team mate there Jason Puncheon.

I was in holiday there last summer and spent a fruitless time trying to see pre-season games for them and Ergotelis.

Comment

Cheltenham get a mention!

Simon G

Comment

Working...
                                                    X