Your Favourite Individual Performance In Euros History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Was Motson even in the ground in 1984 or was it a studio job?
    The commentary was one of those old-school 'phone-line jobs, so I'm pretty certain Motson was there in person.
    Last edited by Jah Womble; 09-06-2021, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
      Pat Bonner v. England in 1988. He was absolutely immense and I was utterly captivated, and this undoubtedly triggered my lifelong nerdy obsession with goalkeeping (and proclivity for supporting Irish national teams). No coincidence at all, I'm sure, that this was about the first match I remember sitting and watching with my (Irish, former Sunday league goalkeeper) father.
      I love Packie Bonner, like anyone who was 9 at the time of euro 88, but Watching the match back years later, most of the shots are straight at him. It's good positioning and all that, but players back in the day struggled to put the ball either side of the goalkeeper.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I love Packie Bonner, like anyone who was 9 at the time of euro 88, but Watching the match back years later, most of the shots are straight at him. It's good positioning and all that, but players back in the day struggled to put the ball either side of the goalkeeper.
        Reminds me of the so-called great save Stepney made from Eusebio back in 68. It was straight at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Reminds me of the so-called great save Stepney made from Eusebio back in 68. It was straight at him.
          looking back at old games really kills them I'm afraid. I was watching Leeds 4-3 liverpool on sky the other night, in its entirety. I remember this being a terrifically exciting game filled with aggressive attacking football. It really wasn't. It was a laughably primitive shitfest, marred by terrible refereeing, that fundamentally tilted the game towards the home team. Viduka was a metre offside for the fourth goal leeds goal, but woodgate should have been sent off for a last man foul on heskey shortly after the first liverpool goal, and by about the quarter hour mark, bowyer should have been sent off for a horrific two footer, where one foot played the ball, and the other took out a liverpool player above the ankle.

The game as well involved people getting the ball up the pitch as quickly as possible, and there would be a manly battle between two direct opponents, with the forward losing it two out of every three attempts, but the third time something would happen which would invariably involve the ball being crossed into the box, or a speculative long range, low probability shot. If the ball came into your allocated part of the pitch, there would be quite a violent battle, but players didn't move up and down the pitch in any recognisable way, which looks really strange when you compare it to now where players move up and down the pitch in unison and at great speed.

To be honest, I can't imagine what that game would look like to a young player today. My suspicion is that they'd barely recognize it as football.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            Davies disappointed me with how biased he was in the 1986 QF. No attempt at objectivity and just said nothing about Maradona being hacked down and elbowed. OTOH seek out his dignified coverage of Heysel, where I thought he was top class, unlike the studio pundits going on about the cane and national service.

Was Motson even in the ground in 1984 or was it a studio job?
            I'll have to defer regarding the whole game, but his commentary for Maradona's 2nd goal is really good imo. The line 'you have to say it's magnificent' kind of encapsulates the entire relationship between English football and that goal.

Comment

Pavel Nedved vs Holland, 2004.

Zidane vs England, 2004

Zidane vs Spain, 2000
              ​​​

Comment

It’s an obvious choice but having just watched the whole game for the first time, van Basten’s hat trick really is a work of beauty. England really weren’t bad, they just got their biggest weakness (a rather slow central defence, with a young Donkey looking particularly out of his depth) exposed so beautifully and ruthlessly by the master.

Comment

No, England weren't 'bad' against the might of Van Basten et al - we still had another three days to wait to see just how bad they could really be.

That third defeat to Russia was probably the worst England performance I'd ever seen, well up until Algeria in 2010. (And then Iceland five years ago.)

Comment

It was a dead rubber, though. I felt they had been worse, in context, in the first two games of Mexico 86, which were World Cup games which seemed like must wins at the time (but actually weren't in the event).

Comment

Working...
                    X