No announcement yet.

Penalty shootout - in the group stage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Países Bajos means literally the same thing as Netherlands doesn't it? Pays-Bas in French although most people will informally call them Hollande.

The Dutch seem happy enough to call themselves Holland so I'll take my cue from them

Comment

One curiosity is how Low Countries in English refers to a wider area than the Romance language equivalents

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        One curiosity is how Low Countries in English refers to a wider area than the Romance language equivalents
        Yes.

Comment

The concept of Pays-Bas to talk about the wider area also exists in French but has fallen out of use to avoid confusion with the country, so I guess we'd just say Benelux these days.

By the way the demonym of Pays-Bas (the country) in French is Néerlandais - though again 99% of people will say Hollandais instead

Comment

My reading (admittedly only Wiki) is that English took its cue from the Dutch. One factor might be that from a northern European perspective the area is defined by interdependence of trade, and a common language, whereas for the Roman Empire it was defined by military defence frontiers (but with a buffer zone for trade).

Comment

Working...
            X