Biggest Injury Absentees in Previous Euro Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest Injury Absentees in Previous Euro Tournaments

1992: Matthaeus, Gascoigne. Not sure if either would have made a difference (Taylor didn't always pick the "refuelling" Geordie).

I'm not sure how many other Euros since 1980 have missed two of the biggest European stars of the previous World Cup, not to mention the Italians or Spanish, who did not qualify, and the banned Yugoslavs. I suppose it's one of the reasons it was expanded to 16 teams (Italy had also missed 1984).

For Ireland in Euro 88,missing Liam Brady and Mark Lawrenson was a big blow. Even though both were heading towards the end of their careers, they would have had a major part to play.

Comment

I don't think I'd ever quite twigged, at any point in the last 25 years or more that I've been aware of him, that Lawrenson played for Ireland. Bloody hell. That is really disconcerting.

Comment

Perhaps because his last cap was in 1987?

Comment

Lawrenson was one of my favourite players for Ireland, a top quality centre back, who could also play in midfield, like Declan Rice except he won trophies.

Comment

I was thinking about the Italy side that nearly won Euro 2000 and it was without Buffon, Vieri, D Baggio and R Baggio. However, only Buffon was injured - Vieri and Baggio were slightly odd omissions but Zoff was apparently trying to replicate a Schillachi-Barros type partnership.
            Last edited by Kevin S; 07-06-2021, 10:21.

Comment

And to be fair. Toldo was by no means a bad GK if Buffon was unavailable.

Comment

Working...
              X