Euro Summits: The Story of the Euros 1960-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    I'd like to read more about the origins and early days of the tournament, though that could be a book in itself. The politics of it: non-participants included England, no surprise there, but also Italy, West Germany, etc. There had been 2 World Cups held in Europe in the 1950s, even TV coverage had arrived, so it's not immediately obvious why this new project was ignored.

And one for the Guardian Knowledge ... the preliminary round tie between the USSR and Hungary had a year's interval between the two legs. Is this a record?
    1987 Anglo-Scottish Cup - once covered by WSC - takes the honour, I would say: https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30...-missing-a-leg

Comment

Hi Bill, Timothy and Andy, hope all of you are well. I'm fine, patiently waiting for the definitive end of this godawful pandemic like everyone else. Might be a while yet, given that our government couldn't pour the proverbial pint of piss out of a boot.

Hi Tee Rex. The origins of the competition and the first three tournaments amount to just over 21,000 words in the book, which I thought was more than enough, given that the actual football witnessed at the time was rather modest. 1968 in particular was one of the grimmest international tournaments ever staged. Someone might knock a full book out of it at some point, but not me.

Comment

Working...
      X