Squads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks its really, really odd that Southgate told players they weren't in the Euros squad but then had them playing in a Euros warm up game?
    There were a lot of players involved in the various European finals. It makes sense to give the players who weren't involved a chance to show what they can do, and fill out the rest of the team with the other lads you called up. It's not really amazing preparation for the tournament, but it does have value, and it's better than the alternative, if the alternative is no game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

That seems like a very valid but entirely different point.
      Accepted. I overstretched and was being mentally lazy.

Ray, how would you compare the Wales squad to 2016 in strength?
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-06-2021, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

There were a lot of players involved in the various European finals. It makes sense to give the players who weren't involved a chance to show what they can do, and fill out the rest of the team with the other lads you called up. It's not really amazing preparation for the tournament, but it does have value, and it's better than the alternative, if the alternative is no game.
        But they've already been told they aren't going to the Euros and it's ostensibly a warm up for the Euros. I don't see the value at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Accepted. I overstretched and was being mentally lazy.

Ray, how would you compare the Wales squad to 2016 in strength?
          Hard to assess having not seen them live for Wales in so long or watched them an awful lot for their clubs on TV in the recent gawdforsaken season. Also difficult because Wales players have significantly overachieved for the international team against their club form for some time now.

Ramsey, Allen and Ben Davies' (the three key players from 2016) fitness is a major concern as is the passage of time for all of them. We haven't ever replaced Ledley or found a commanding centre half/captain in the Ashley Williams mode either, even though our defensive record recently is very good.

We certainly have a better choice of attacking players with youngsters like Wilson, Brooks, James and Tyler Roberts but I think they are all a bit samey and there will still be a lot of pressure on Bale to score the goals. This will especially be the case if Moore is worked out by opposing centre halves or objected to by refs, though I think he will mostly be used as a sub anyway.

Getting out of the group again will be a good result, frankly.
          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-06-2021, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            No Sergio Ramos nor any other Real Madrid players for Spain. Franco would not approve.
            And only 24 players instead of the permitted maximum of 26.

Comment

Ray de Galles I think that's the least positive I've ever known you about Cymru's chances. Normally it's me being told off for being an Eeyore.

It's not an easy group, but it's also not a group of death like group F. I'd expect Italy to win all 3 of their games and then it's a case of Cymru taking some points off Switzerland and Turkey, which feels doable.

(I think you are 100% right about the squad though.)

EDIT 2 - I also feel more positive about their chances with Rob Page in charge rather than Ryan Giggs
              Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 03-06-2021, 13:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

But they've already been told they aren't going to the Euros and it's ostensibly a warm up for the Euros. I don't see the value at all.
                It's a warm up for the euros, for the players who are going to the euros. Don't focus so much on the ones that aren't going.

Comment

It might have been better use of time to test run playing with 4 right backs.

Comment

3 right backs now.

Comment

Non-squad member Ollie Watkins' sub appearance at least gave Exeter another 37,500 quid (out of 250k which went from Villa to Brentford). Exeter are up to 262k out of a maximum of 750k in add ons.
                      Brentford get a million quid (150k to Exeter) for every season Watkins keeps Villa in the Premier League. So, next May, if Brentford are already down (or already safe), but Villa need to beat them to stay up, Brentford would have a financial incentive to lose. In theory.

Comment

Spain have gone into quarantine after Sergio Busquets has tested positive for Covid.

Comment

Working...
                        X