Infrastructure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infrastructure

I am currently on the new train that runs from Bucharest to the airport. It's very Romania to wait until they are hosting a couple of international football matches to build something seemingly so essential but hey

The US, of course, still does not have a rail link from its capital to the capital's main international airport.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      The US, of course, still does not have a rail link from its capital to the capital's main international airport.
      What, they still haven't finished the Metro line out to Dulles? The last time I was over (autumn 2018), I thought they were nearly done. When they eventually, reluctantly, approve public transport infrastructure projects in the US, they all turn around and look at each other and say, "So, how do you do one of these things?" And everyone shrugs and says, "Dunno, dude. Anyone got a shovel?"

The Purple Line overland electronic rail line near my old house I went out campaigning for in the 2000s is almost done, seven years after we moved, and 20 years after I naively hoped it would soon allow us to dispense with at least one car.

Comment

I’m pretty sure that it’s still not done. You still need to change to a bus halfway out.

There’s no rail connection to the airport in Boston, either. There’s the “silver line” which is marked on MBTA maps to look like a train. But it’s a bus.

It’s a low bar to cross but Romania seems to be ahead of the US on infrastructure. Perhaps we need to have some Euro 2020 matches here?

Comment

There were some flaws. I asked at Gara de Nord where I could buy a ticket and was told that I could do it on the train. Which was true but it involved the very retro system of the conductor writing out the ticket with carbon paper and everything. It took at least 3 minutes. For a 4 Lei ticket (approx 80 euro cents). Obviously at the moment that's not really a problem since it was practically empty. But I strongly suspect lessons are not being learned

Comment

You'll get transport nerds from northern Europe flocking to Romania for that retro ticket experience.

Comment

The Dublin metro (which will really be just a slightly beefier tram) that is to have an airport stop still hasn't started, the giant burrower was supposed to be turned on in 2021.

I'm not really sure why folk fetishise having a rail/metro link to airports anyway. Most passengers still don't use these links where they are available, their main utility is for folk who work at airports. Obs as a transport nerd I'd prefer shiny tracks over buses or car, but I'd far rather Dublin had something like Prague's excellent metro and tram network, where the subway goes where people actually live, even if it hasn't hit the airport yet.

The car blighted hellscape of Swords north of the airport does need a rail link into Dublin, but the unremitting pavementless grim of West Dublin like Blanch/Ongar I'd put in more immediate need of sexy but useful public works.

Comment

Working...
              X