Return of the 'alte Herren'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return of the 'alte Herren'

Last-stand Jogi has, as expected, swallowed his pride and recalled Thomas Mueller and Mats Hummels to the German squad. Not that he regrets dropping them two years ago, oh no. That was the right thing to do because it gave him the chance to blood young players. Now, though, young players are no longer quite so important, the priority is to win the tournament. For the country, of course, not Jogi's legacy.

In other old men news, Marco Reus pronounced himself unavailable yesterday despite a return to form in recent weeks, because he needs time to recuperate (like all of us old men). Wolfsburg's Max Arnold has been overlooked yet again, despite a great season and despite being the kind of non-luxury player the German team really needs in midfield (that is, he works hard, and doesn't swan about failing to play champagne passes like Kroos/Guendogan). Then again, if he picked players according to form Timo Werner would be out on his fat diving arse. No place for recently recalled Eintracht play-maker Amin Younes, no doubt thanks to his cunting coach Adi Huetter having dropped him to the bench for the past few weeks after the two reportedly had a tiff.

Any other countries dusted off players past their international sell-by dates?

In my mind Hummels is around 35 and Mueller 25. But then the calendar says it's 7 years since they won the World Cup which can't possibly be true.

Comment

32 and 31 respectively. France, meanwhile, have called up Benzema, six years after he was dropped for trying (allegedly) to blackmail a team-mate. It's lovely that's all baggage off the carousel now. Except that the trial for said affair is scheduled for October. Main thing is - win the tournament!

Comment

Zlatan is back for Sweden. I imagine there are some people who have choked on the cobwebs.

Comment

He's not back back

Though he is hinting that his injury may not be as disabling as he thought last week

Comment

The Italians are persisting with, rather than dusting off, Giorgio Chiellini (36), who has been an irregular performer for Juve in recent times, restricted to just 20 league games over the past two seasons, but he is Chiellini so you can't leave him out, can you? I still have his Euro 2012 sticker in my wallet.
            His junior partner Bonucci (34) also makes it. I'd make room for Buffon too.

Comment

38 year old Maarten Stekelenburg definitely counts here, having gone from sitting on his arse at Everton to being number 1 at Ajax and, at the very least, making the provisional squad.

Comment

Working...
              X