• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absent Injured

Virgil van Dijk - still in rehabilitation from injury

Harry Maguire is a doubt.

Others?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-05-2021, 09:16.

Ibrahimovic

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
      Ibrahimovic
      As good as he is to watch, there's a certain justice in this. I'm never impressed by players who come out of retirement in time for a major tournament after the rest of the squad do the donkey work in the qualifiers.

Comment

Nick Pope ruled out due to requiring knee surgery.

Comment

Just out of interest, could Emiliano Mart?nez qualify for England?

Comment

He would qualify if he applied for citizenship, having been in the country for 11 years, but he's been in Argentina squads and is far more likely to play for them.
            I'm not sure if it would be a good idea anyway, imagine the uproar if he made a costly mistake.

Comment

If he applied for UK citizenship, would he be eligible for any of the 4 home nations?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                If he applied for UK citizenship, would he be eligible for any of the 4 home nations?
                Old duvet head himself, Eric Young, played for Wales (21 times), being eligible because he was a British citizen born overseas, and therefore eligible for any of the UK's national teams. Wiki claims he was nicknamed "ninja" because of the duvet he wore on his forehead, though he certainly wasn't called that at Wimbledon.

Comment

I know it works if your parents are British citizens living outside the UK. There were a few players like that back in the day. Pat Van Den Hauwe was recruited for Wales by Kevin Ratcliffe and Neville Southall. Richard Gough was another player who could technically have played for any of the home nations although his Dad was Scottish so it was less likely he would turn out for anyone else. I just don't know if it happens when people become citizens through choice, as it were.

Comment

John Barnes could have played for any of the Home Nations

Comment

The main players ruled out for Scotland are Ryan Jack, Kenny McLean and ......rather less harrowing for yer average Scot.... Oli McBurnie. All three would probably have gotten some pitch time although only Jack would have been likely to get a start. This significantly reduces our penalty shootout prowess, although there's a fair chance that will not be an issue (because we'll be winning all our knockout games in 90 minutes....).

Comment

McBurnie is a plank of wood, but I'm gutted that McLean is missing out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

As good as he is to watch, there's a certain justice in this. I'm never impressed by players who come out of retirement in time for a major tournament after the rest of the squad do the donkey work in the qualifiers.
                          They got further in the last World Cup than they ever did with him leading the team anyway.

Comment

DeBruyne expected to miss Belgium's opener thanks to his 'collision' with Antonio Ruediger in the CL final. No doubt his ruddy wee cheeks will be concealed by a Ruediger-style face mask. I'm sure he'll be texting the German defender for tips. "Hey, Toni! Mate, what brand of face mask have you been using? Gonna need one for the Euros. Preferably one that doesn't hinder my eyesight and cause me to accidentally crash into opponents and, you know, put them out of the game and break their bones. Any ideas? Love Kev xxxx."

Comment

Ermm...Trent Alexander-Arnold?

Comment

"Somebody's been reading their previews" department:
                                Ilija Nestorovski, North Macedonia's best player not called Goran Pandev, misses out through injury.

Pandev expected to be up front on his own, a tough ask for a 37 year old, even one as good as him.

Comment

Working...
                                X