Does It Matter Who Wins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does It Matter Who Wins?

Euros winners don't often go on to win the World Cup or retain their title. With Qatar following only 16 months later and the next Euros only three years away, plus all the players being knackered this year, and the stadia not being full, it feels like bald men fighting over a comb.

The thing of different host countries isn't helping. Though I suppose once the thing gets going, it'll be more meaningful, and there will be a name on the cup. Still, I can't say I'm amped.

Comment

I'm sure that if Scotland or North Macedonia or Finland make unexpected forays to the tournament's later stages, then their fans will begin to feel like it 'matters'. England too.

Comment

It depends also on whether some of the groups start to look fairly even, which I can't really see at this stage (it's been crushed by the seeding) but does sometimes happen unexpectedly.

Comment

As I’ll be doing my best to ignore the next world cup, I really should try and engage with these Euros. But I’m not feeling the urge yet.

Comment

It feels a bit like when someone does the London Marathon wearing a Victorian diving suit or similar and completes the course five days later. It's still an achievement but the atmosphere has dissipated and attention moved elsewhere.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it. I'm not so keen on tournament-free fallow summers.

Comment

If France or Spain or Germany win again it'll be a bit 'meh'. But I expect a lot of people would like to see Belgium's golden generation finally justify their potential if it comes down to them and their big country rivals. And as always if England win we'll never hear the fucking end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  If France or Spain or Germany win again it'll be a bit 'meh'
                  Not here it won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                    I'm looking forward to it. I'm not so keen on tournament-free fallow summers.
                    Yeah, this. I mean, I’ve watched far too much football over recent months but there’s something about an international tournament (with fast turnaround) that kicks up a different level of interest/excitement. Especially if crowds are returning.

That said, I maintain that the multi-nation-venue- idea was always ill-conceived.

Comment

If France or Spain or Germany win again it'll be a bit 'meh'. But I expect a lot of people would like to see Belgium's golden generation finally justify their potential if it comes down to them and their big country rivals. And as always if England win we'll never hear the fucking end of it.
                      For those who follow Germany's fortunes, it will be a minor sensation should Germany. At this stage, I'm concerned Germany will not get out of their group, three home-games notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        That said, I maintain that the multi-nation-venue- idea was always ill-conceived.
                        +1

Comment

And as always if England win we'll never hear the fucking end of it.
                          ’As always’. Okay.

Comment

If Cymru win it will matter a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                              As I’ll be doing my best to ignore the next world cup, I really should try and engage with these Euros. But I’m not feeling the urge yet.
                              Seconded

Comment

I'm sure I'll get into it when it starts, but unlike all other tournaments (WC and Euros) since 74, I never think about it until I see a post like this or someone mentions it, then it goes out my mind til the next time.

Comment

Is that due to COVID or the hosting arrangements?

Comment

COVID fatigue, I think. Like many I'm sure, I've generally been much less engaged with football this season. I'd prefer it all in one country in "normal" times, although it's been shared before. However, as these certainly aren't normal times, and the no fans and relentless schedule this season have taken their toll on me, I'm not overly bothered about multi-nation hosting. I just keep forgetting about it. I'm sure once the domestic season ends and football coverage turns towards the tournament I'll get into it more.

Comment

I’ve lost track of the domestic leagues so I suppose the same applies to football more widely. My consumption of football is OTF, LiveScore.com, and the Guardian and Second Captains podcasts. If a particular goal or incident is mentioned I’ll look it up on YT. In a way it’s not dissimilar to my consumption as a kid: newspapers, Final Score/Sports Report, and MotD.

Comment

I saw a heads up for the WSC tournament special earlier today and that has started to rouse my enthusiasm.

Comment

Ive just reacquainted myself with the format and I’m still not overly keen but votes need to be won I suppose.

Id be all for regular border sharing type multination hosting if it meant some of the smaller nations getting a slice of the pie/expense. I’ve no idea of the minimum number of stadia required to host a 32 team finals but there’s not many of the smaller counties have 10+ off the shelf top class venues and the expense of building these monuments to vanity is stupidity itself.

Belgium-Netherlands-Germany-Denmark or Spain-Portugal-France-Switzerland or Baltic or Uk&Ireland or Mitteleuropa or Scandinavian or Adriatic or Black Sea combinations sound good to me. Host countries automatically qualify and the rest scrap it out. I’ll be retiring in the next few years and once campervans drop down to pre staycation levels I’m fancying these two birds with one stone holidays more n more. Who’s with me?

Comment

Other suggested format - scrap the qualifying groups, just have it as a straight knockout tournament starting at the end of the season, with a preliminary round prior to the round of 32. Draw based on seedings. Lower seed hosts, single games with ET and penalties. QFs onwards played in a single host country over the course of a week-10 days at the end of June.

Better for the environment, cheaper for fans, no boring group games, no white elephant stadiums, fewer exhausted players, greater variety of winning teams. The bloated finals are now just 'events', the football takes second place to the usual corporate bollocks and cash-grabbing.

Comment

Working...
                                            X