Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this turn out to be the worst tournament ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
    [

Sorry, I cannot let this one pass, what lesson did you learn here.
    She invited you around for 90 minutes of action, extra time and penalties (if required) and you did a Michael Laudrup in Euro 92?
    Yeah, I just wanted to concentrate on my club form, and I wasn't happy with the position she wanted me to play.
    It was a very late call up (c.6pm), so I obviously wasn't in her initial plans.

(And she was quite a recent ex [they were together for the group games] so it was a bit John Terry/Wayne Bridge. And it was France v Brazil, I really wanted to watch the game.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
      I think Scandinavia deserves a go.
      Not really fair to exclude Finland.

Comment

Or Tallinn, esp if Club Alcatraz and the Depeche Mode bar are still around

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
          This has been a fabulous tournament, but I've loathed the games being played in different countries (for aesthetic reasons alone, let alone environmental ones). There has been no ability to appreciate any local colour from each area. It's just 'here's a game in Spain. Here's a game in Azerbaijan. Oh, I had no idea Switzerland and Italy were playing at Wembley tonight'.
          The problem isn't really the different countries, but how poorly i was thought out. Some teams had to criss-cross Europe, playing in Baku and then in Rome and then Baku again, or St Petersburg and Seville, while other teams had loads of home-games (in England's case, this is virtually a home competition). While it is accepted that one or two teams will benefit from home advantage in normal years, here that wasn't the case. Add to that the (unavoidable) travelling restrictions that applied to some venues and not to others, and you have a heavy distortion of fair competition, what Germans call "Wettbewerbsverzerrung". Is it a coincidence that all four semi-finalists could play all their group games at home (and in England's case, two knock-out games as well)?

Superb as this competition has been, that will always be a footnote that bothers me.

I reckon Euros 2000 was better, by the way, with bizarre drama throughout (Yugoslavia's crazy stuff in two group games, Holland vs Italy, the last minutes of the final).

Comment

Agree that 2000 was better - and arguably 1984.

This tournament is running about third, marginally ahead of 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
              It's playing havoc with my depression, but unless it prompts a full on nervous breakdown it won't be as bad as Euro 96.

Living in a city that is hosting a major sports tournament is fucking horrible. They should build a big island in the middle of an ocean and have all the Olympics, World Cups, Euros etc. there.
              Sorry to hear this, dm. It's all over in 5 days.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-07-2021, 11:51.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

Yeah, I just wanted to concentrate on my club form, and I wasn't happy with the position she wanted me to play.

(And she was quite a recent ex [they were together for the group games] so it was a bit John Terry/Wayne Bridge. And it was France v Brazil, I really wanted to watch the game.)
                They still count if they're in on the rebound.

Comment

2000 was another of those tournaments where Netherlands fell short. That was an awesome squad.

Comment

Netherlands 2000 were not dissimilar to France 2021; always liable to have that one bad game. And of course another SF where Italy beat a better technical side. Abysmal penalty shoot-out.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-07-2021, 12:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Netherlands 2000 were not dissimilar to France 2021; always liable to have that one bad game. And of course another SF where Italy beat a better technical side. Abysmal penalty shoot-out.
                      Or magnificent Toldo

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                        I think Scandinavia deserves a go.
                        Sweden has hosted a World Cup and a Euros. Copenhagen was a host city this time round.

If you're doing a proper Scandi cup, some teams will be playing in Reykjavik.

Comment

Again, Nordic not "Scandinavian". Especially as that's what the group of countries have termed themselves when including Finland and/or Iceland in tournament bids before.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 07-07-2021, 14:40.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

Maybe you weren't keen on the toss-up for the choice of ends?

Comment

Sorry for the pointless comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                Again, Nordic not "Scandinavian". Especially as that's what the group of countries have termed themselves when including Finland and/or Iceland in tournament bids before.
                                Good call on the differential. I see Finland included in "Scandinavia" occasionally and it always grates.

I guess Iceland is pushing the boundary away from the traditional 3 as well but it's language/ history/ culture is more closely linked.

Nordic is much better.

Comment

England are in the final, could still be the worse tournament ever.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                    Sorry for the pointless comment.
                                    Don't apologise dm, I know this is genuinely affecting you. I hope you are doing ok and coping with it.
                                    Take care.

Comment

Thanks Satchmo and Sean. I feel a lot better today, only one match to go and I'm finally able to feel pleased for all the decent people who are getting joy from it, as well as a bit of schadenfreude towards Patel and the other horrors desperately trying to pretend they supported England all along.

Comment

Great to hear this, dm.

I'm also hopeful that, should they win, Sterling and Rashford will be thinking up some creative ways to say "fuck you" to the Tories.

Comment

Working...
                                        X