Euro "2020" and coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro "2020" and coronavirus

Errm, the various host countries' official stances on crowd capacity limits are looking a little, er, bold, in the context of current pandemic levels less than two months before tournament kick-off. Hungary in particular claims it will allow full capacity, subject to spectator status requirements. Really? I mean, OK their new case numbers have fallen a fair bit already from the peak, and may continue to fall substantially but that's not guaranteed and they are currently very high (per capita).

UEFA Euro 2020 - Wikipedia

Hungary Coronavirus: 736,982 Cases and 24,521 Deaths - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

I suspect that there is a chance of some games being played in empty stadia. I'm not sure the travelling can be made totally safe. And who knows what will happen if there is an outbreak in a team hotel, although hopefully all the players will be vaccinated by then.

Comment

I wonder if they need to think about expanding squads and keeping half of each squad in a different hotel?

Comment

They've had a year to say "nah its too risky, we're going to go to one country, lock everything down and play in bubbles". But it's UEFA and, well.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
          I suspect that there is a chance of some games being played in empty stadia.
          I bit like Euro 96 then.

Comment

Received an email from UEFA this morning telling me that they'd cancelled my ticket for the last 16 game at Hampden after a ballot of all those who'd not sent their tickets back. Disappointing, I was quite prepared to put up with all the precautionary faff in order just to see a game.

Comment

How many squads have not been vaccinated? Spain are already in deep shit with the squad in quarantine.

Comment

We will never know

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  How many squads have not been vaccinated? Spain are already in deep shit with the squad in quarantine.
                  The Spanish government has now given the go-ahead for all players to receive vaccinations.

Comment

Well, that's comically and redundantly late, isn't it? Some time a little after their second match they'll start to develop some immunity...

Comment

The decision to vaccinate or not has been delayed.

There is some debate here as to whether a group of young footballers should receive preferential treatment when a sizeable number of older and more vulnerable people are still waiting for the first jab.

Comment

Countries whose players have been vaccinated: Italy, Turkey, some French, some Belgians and Dutch, Russia. This isn't a definitive list.

Comment

I’d have thought that people - young or not - who are obligated to travel and to mix with people travelling from all over for their work should be fairly high up the priority list. I’d also have thought that UEFA (and the IOC for that matter) would make vaccination a condition of competition at this summer’s events.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                            The decision to vaccinate or not has been delayed.

There is some debate here as to whether a group of young footballers should receive preferential treatment when a sizeable number of older and more vulnerable people are still waiting for the first jab.
                            On one hand I kind of get this, but on the other hand, it's 30 vaccines, which would delay people getting them in the correct order, by a minuscule amount spread across spanish society as a whole. Also there has to be an argument that the european championships is kind of important.

Comment

Working...
                            X