Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Queen of the South then

through to scottish cup final

anyway, their name. is it just a more middle class hunish attempt at embracing britishness?

complete layman

Fantastic name, sound like a pub team.

Enjoyed that game.

Comment

Gordon Chisholm manages em apparently.
      RD: Chisholm was at Sunderland in the 1980s but may have left by the time you arrived for your Pascoe studies course. iirc Lawrie Mac chased him.

Comment

the mighty pascoe played for them? f**k. he didnt mention that to me

Comment

I don't mean to be disparaging to Scottish football in saying this, and I made the analogy several times on the old board with no real dissent, but the Scottish League is pretty much similar to - if one can imagine it - a Lancashire League.

You have two giants - Liverpool and Manchester United, in Lancashire's case - several other "big" teams who have enjoyed varying moments or periods of success - for Man City, Everton, Blackburn and Bolton, read Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United - then you get down into the likes of Wigan, Oldham, Bury, Preston, Blackpool playing the parts of Dundee, St. Mirren, Kilmarnock, Motherwell ...

by the time you're into the middle of the Scottish second division you're talking about Bamber Bridge playing Chorley.

One of those sides has just reached the Scottish Cup Final today, it seems, and I applaud them for it.

Comment

er and my question

Comment

rick derris wrote:
              er and my question
              QoS are an amalgamation of 3 local teams. The name comes from the annual carnival when a local girl is crowned as the carnival queen but is crowned as "Queen of the South".

I was told this by a Scot so it could be a total wind up attempt on an Englishman!

Comment

From When Saturday Comes: The Half Decent Football Book - "The town of Dumfries acquired the alias Queen of the South in 1857 when a local poet, David Dunbar, coined it during his campaign to be elected to Parliament. Queen of the South was selected as the name of a new club formed from several existing local sides in 1919. They are the only team given a name check in the Bible, during the Old Testament tale of the Queen of Sheba, proving that Mr Dunbar was a man who knew his scriptures."

Everyone on OTF should own that book for such useful information. Now get back over to the Scottish football thread, where they've been talking about this game all day. Though I suppose they do deserve a thread of their own, despite only being good enough to get to the Lancashire Cup final...

Comment

Everyone on OTF should own that book for such useful information.
                  What, the bible?

Mind you, it'd be a better world if a witness in court could lay a hand on the Half Decent Football Book and intone "I swear by the almighty Andy Lyons..."

Comment

the Scottish League is pretty much similar to - if one can imagine it - a Lancashire League.

I think it is not always remembered how small Scotland is. There are just over five million people in the entire country. That's fewer than Denmark, and far fewer than Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria or Greece. None of those countries has a particularly amazing domestic league either.

People like to have a go at the general standard of Scottish football, but it is exactly what you would logically expect it to be in a country of that size -- arguably even better.

Comment

Exactly - if anything, Scotland over-achieves when it comes to the strength in depth of football.

What's the 40th best team - the East Stirlingshire - of Greater London, which has about twice the population of Scotland? You must be looking way down in the sixth or seventh tier.

Not that Rogin was arguing any different, mind. I think it's a very interesting perspective.

Comment

i once got pissed with the east stirling chairman

Comment

yep great to see the usual attacks on the quality of Scottish Football and its leagues. As Bosch says we are a nation of only 5 million. Yet we beat France TWICE home and away. And in our qualifying group came close to qualifying for EURO 2008 even though we had both World Cup Finalists in our group, while England had the mighty Israelis, Croats and Russians to contend with.

A Few of you state that Scotland has two big teams and thats it - but at least our leagues are a lot more competitive at the moment than the 'GLORIOUS' English Premier League (more money than sense) you have FOUR Teams that challenge for the title, well I say four but Liverpool usually fall back into the pack on cue usually around xmas time. So in fact you have the Big Three!

Both Celtic and Rangers (plus other Scottish teams) have played competitively against English teams for years in Club competitions (mainly in europe however) and for the most part the Scots come out on top why is that? Celtic in 2003 beat Blackburn and Liverpool on the way to the UEFA Cup Final. They have also beaten Leeds Utd (the days of Bremner), Man United (2007) and various other top flight clubs as have Rangers.

So before slating Scottish Football you have to remember that for the most part up north we see the English National side as entertainment - when we aren't watchin Billy Connelly swearing left right and centre and tickling our funny bones, we laugh at the English commentators lording up the latest England side that is going to win the World Cup or every other tournament they enter.

And just to be a bit pedantic - when was the last time England won any sort of trophy?? well aye obviously the World Cup in 1966 (the only thing you lot have to gloat about - time you lot moved on isn't it)Scotland won the Kirin Cup in 2006 so GIRFUY!!! lol okay not as big as the World Cup but still a trophy mateys - and btw tell Motson that he is a bit boring - nearly as bad as a Barry Manilow record - have you ever noticed that every game he commentates on for England within the first 5 minutes he always mentions 1966!!! Is it me or is he stuck in that year!

Always look forward to Scottish teams playing English teams so we can wipe the smiles off the commentators and fans faces

Heres to the resurrection of the Home Internationals!

And congrats to QoS for their victory great to see the small clubs triumphing its what the Cup Competitions are all about - huge upsets, great games and goals galore!

Comment

We could have played the 40th best team in Khazak-fucking-stan today and still lost

Comment

Jesus fucking Christ.

I bought this for £5 from an antique shop in Warwick around a year ago.

Comment

Fuck's sake, Scotzine. I've just read this thread through a couple of times to make sure, but I'm buggered if I can see any attacks on the quality of Scottish football, never mind the "usual ones".

Comment

cheers ab. what i was thinking. I started it and I am welsh

Comment

HEY!! what about that fucking english cup final

one of them thems not even english!!

Comment

Ah, but we're forcing you to sing OUR anthem about OUR queen.

Comment

So stick that in your Welsh pipe and smoke it, Taffy.

Comment

totally

thats the sweetest bit

Comment

Chippy buggers them Scots...

Anyhow, I just learned that QotS is the team from Dumfries!

Comment

Always depressing when general discussions on Scottish football have to lead to a disparagement of the English game.

I've always been fairly proud that Scottish football has generally always punched well above its weight, indeed, in the 1955-75 period it traded blows on equal terms with the very best in the heavyweight division.

Comment

Broken Clock wrote:
                                                Gordon Chisholm manages em apparently.
                                                RD: Chisholm was at Sunderland in the 1980s but may have left by the time you arrived for your Pascoe studies course. iirc Lawrie Mac chased him.
                                                This will be Gordon Chisholm's second Scottish Cup Final in 4 seasons. He was Dundee United manager in 2005.

Comment

And in our qualifying group came close to qualifying for EURO 2008
                                                  Were ye still in contention on the final matchday?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X