Three stars on their shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching Ipswich & Man City on the TV at the weekend I got to wondering why they both have three (I think) silver stars on their shirts just above the badges. All answers gratefully received.

Ipswich Town's are for their three trophies (League, FA Cup and UEFA Cup) and are fairly new; Man City's have been part of the badge for yonks and don't have any particular meaning. Stylistically, they echo the three diagonal stripes in the crest, which come from the arms o of the City of Manchester (see also FCUM's badge).

Comment

I think you should only be allowed to do this if you've won the league three times in a row:

Bet then I would, wouldn't I.

Comment

The three stars on City's badge are simply there because the knob-end who designed/fabricated it thought they looked good on other clubs badges so would also compliment the abortion he had come up with. They have absolutely fuck-all to do with anything about the club & its history, & are therefore entirely appropriate as to the context of the badge as part of the cynical re-branding process that conceived it in the mid nineties. It is no coincidence that these events immeadiately preceded the signing of Lee Bradbury & dismal slump into div. 3. It also ruined the otherwise quality white,blue & burgundy Kappa away kit.

Comment

Bolton should have one star for their triumphant 1989 Sherpa Van Trophy win.

Comment

BFC Dynamo (10 East German titles), did this

Causing some controversy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berline...rs_controversy

So now they do this:

All star entitlements in Germany:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdien...Meistervereine

Comment

This article from Wikipedia on the subject is a suprisingly interesting read.

Apparently the stars on the Man City badge are to give it a "more continental feel".

I'm a little suprised that there aren't any offical rules from UEFA or FIFA about this sort of thing (except for the UEFA badge of honour, which is a bit toss).

You've got to give it to Uruguay for displaying four stars, regarding their triumphs in the 1924 and 1928 Olympics as equivalent to their later World Cup wins.

Edit: Bloody Soccer AM, so that's why the England shirt has a star on it.

Comment

Clubs awarding themselves stars is, in terms of shoddy conduct, right up there with giving yourself a nickname.
                As any fule kno, they should both be awarded by those in higher authority in recognition of significant events or acheivements.

Comment

MrCol wrote:
                  The three stars on City's badge are simply there because the knob-end who designed/fabricated it thought they looked good on other clubs badges so would also compliment the abortion he had come up with. They have absolutely fuck-all to do with anything about the club & its history, & are therefore entirely appropriate as to the context of the badge as part of the cynical re-branding process that conceived it in the mid nineties. It is no coincidence that these events immeadiately preceded the signing of Lee Bradbury & dismal slump into div. 3. It also ruined the otherwise quality white,blue & burgundy Kappa away kit.
                  Tell us what you really think!

Anyway, it's as bad as West Ham retiring the no 6 shirt.

Comment

The German rules are particularly obtuse, and clearly the result of intense politicking.

Ursus minor and I have long agreed that we absoultely, positively, do NOT want to be living in Italy on the dark day when Juve get their third star.

Luckily for us, Calciopoli meant that they now need three more scudetti before that happens.

Lenin, the Uruguyans actually have a decent argument, as their two Olympic wins pre-date the first World Cup.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                      MrCol wrote:
                      Tell us what you really think!

Anyway, it's as bad as West Ham retiring the no 6 shirt.
                      I feel much better now, thanks.

Comment

Ursus, I was going to ask if the pre-World Cup Olympics were well contested but then I remembered the turn out at the first world cup. Fair enough I guess.

The USA doesn't seem to be planning ahead. One star per MLS Cup win? Some shirts are going to get crowded in a few years time.

The more i think about it, the more I'm amazed the UEFA haven't weighed in on this, I mean if having a plain field to put shirt numbers on in European games is worht having a rule about, why not legislate for star for championships?

Comment

The 1920, 1924 and 1928 Olympic football tournaments all had more participants than the 1930 World Cup.

My sense is that UEFA isn't very keen on using political capital on this kind of thing when it comes to national leagues (keep in mind that they would be rendering kits "obsolete"). They have tried to monitor their use with respect to their own competitions, via the oval blue badges.

Comment

I've posted this link on here before but I feel it's worth another airing:
                            http://worldcup.gq.nu/

Although I don't think 'winners' of these 'tournaments' should be thinking about embellishing their kits further...

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:

Ursus minor and I have long agreed that we absoultely, positively, do NOT want to be living in Italy on the dark day when Juve get their third star.

Luckily for us, Calciopoli meant that they now need three more scudetti before that happens.
                              As you will no doubt be aware, there are many Juventini (not me I hasten to add) including some at Tuttosport, and on a variety of unofficial Juve websites who still feel that the third star is due on the award of the next scudetto. I imagine many unofficial Juve clothing/accessories/mediums etc will carry a third star at such a point, regardless.

One's Calciopoli is another's Farsopoli after all. As is common these days Moratti and his many many friends in high places will no doubt have the final say (smiley thingimajig). It wouldn't have happened if Gianni and Umberto were still around you know.

I feel the intransigence about calciopoli has given another meaning to "gobbo".

Certainly Farsopoli, sorry I mean Calciopoli, has added another thick layer of enmity between Inter and Juve, as if it needed it.

Comment

Villa put a star on their shirt recently to reflect the fact that we'd won the European Cup, but were told by UEFA that whilst it could be part of the badge, it couldn't go above the badge - only winners of the Champions League could do that. Do Liverpool wear 5 stars on their shirts?

Comment

I think Liverpool's European home kit immediately after the last win (2005-07) had five stars, but no others have, if I recall.

Comment

The star or stars on a league side from Turkey above their badge on their shirt represent how many times they have one the league but in multiples of 5.

Both Galatasaray and Fenerbache have 3, Besiktas have 2 and Trabzonspor have 1.

The race for the fourth star is often sung about on the terraces along with the fact that Besiktas have only two.

What about in other countries?

Comment

The Wiki article that Ricky Lenin linked to above does a very good job of outlining the somewhat suprising variety of practice in this regard.

My favourite is Sao Paulo, who have two gold stars on their shirts for athletics world records set by a member of their multisports club in the 50s.

Comment

Ipswich's stars are a bit of a swizz, to be honest. They were introduced about 4/5 years ago, to celebrate the three trophies we've won, and were initially worn on the sleeve. When we switched to mitre kits, they moved above the badge - but aren't part of the badge itself. They are on the kits the players wear - but only the first few thousand replica kits - in otherwords, if you don't buy the shirt when they were first launched, it looks different to the ones the players wear - significantly so, now the stars are above the badge. I think it's taking the piss.

gt3 wrote:
                                        Villa put a star on their shirt recently to reflect the fact that we'd won the European Cup, but were told by UEFA that whilst it could be part of the badge, it couldn't go above the badge - only winners of the Champions League could do that. And besides, they were lucky to be in the thing in the first place.
                                        Looks like you had a typo in there. Luckily I've fixed it, to save your embarrassment.

Comment

gt3 wrote:
                                          [quote]Villa put a star on their shirt recently to reflect the fact that we'd won the European Cup, but were told by UEFA that whilst it could be part of the badge, it couldn't go above the badge - only winners of the Champions League could do that. Do Liverpool wear 5 stars on their shirts?

Comment

Unfortunately, Forest aren't likely to be playing in a UEFA-sponsored competition anytime soon.

Comment

I was going to reply to Ricky Lenin's Olympic / Wolrd Cup point, but Ursus has saved me the bother. This, though:

gt3 wrote:
                                              Villa put a star on their shirt recently to reflect the fact that we'd won the European Cup, but were told by UEFA that whilst it could be part of the badge, it couldn't go above the badge - only winners of the Champions League could do that.
                                              Was the first thing on the thread that actually made me exclaim out loud. If that's true then it is (relatively speaking) a fucking disgrace.

Comment

Celtic have been sporting one gold star on their badge and I'm pretty sure they've worn it in the champions league this season.
                                                Aberdeen have 2 stars one for the cup winners cup and one for the super cup I think.
                                                Rangers currently have 5 stars on their badge one for every 10 league flags they've won (51 in total).

Comment

SamLKelly wrote:
                                                  I was going to reply to Ricky Lenin's Olympic / Wolrd Cup point, but Ursus has saved me the bother. This, though:

gt3 wrote:
                                                  Villa put a star on their shirt recently to reflect the fact that we'd won the European Cup, but were told by UEFA that whilst it could be part of the badge, it couldn't go above the badge - only winners of the Champions League could do that.
                                                  Was the first thing on the thread that actually made me exclaim out loud. If that's true then it is (relatively speaking) a fucking disgrace.
                                                  I agree. They shouldn't have even been in the European Cup in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X