Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interim friendly report: England v Germany

EVIDENTIALLY SUPERIOR ENGLAND BIFF GERMANY IN WORLD WAR SIX 2-1

It will come as little surprise to those who are acquainted at me, be it through my memoirs, through the capacity of servitude or simply having been on the sharp end of my riding crop for some impertinence or other that I am strongly inclined to take a dim view of the German people, as those of my generation are wont to. I refer, naturally, to the 1970s, when the country recoiled into a barbarism without precedent in its recent history. This was the era in which all the talk was of the Baader Meinhof and the like, when the Germans, once proud, clipped, erect, properly suspicious of usury in their midst and boasting a tidy record in such hygienic matters as racial homogeneity fell victim to a queer, hirsute madness. I myself was taken hostage in 1972 during a visit to the city of Düsseldorf, where I was due to meet up with a certain claque of middle aged, discreet sympathisers in a certain Bierkeller, entry to which could be obtained by uttering the password “Wessel”. Owing to a surfeit of Schnapps partaken in my hotel room, however, I found myself suddenly short of bearings in my unsteady perambulations around the town, and ushered into a dark, shadowy basement in which I was forced to sit cross-legged and endure a torture beyond the imagination of less hardened civilians - I was made to listen to a fellow in a headband play the flute at me for what seemed like three days, without sleep.

I was eventually released, thanks no doubt to the intervention of the SAS. However, when eventually brought round, representatives of the German police fabricated the assurance that I had inadvertently stumbled into a pop concert of some sort by a collective of musicians of the so-called “Krautrock” genre, that the flute solo to which I had alluded had lasted a mere three hours, reasonable for the times, and had only been terminated upon my shooting the tanktopped perpetrator in the knee with my service revolver, for which the group themselves had had the brass gall to press charges. Fortunately, since Seppings, my manservant, had wrested the revolver from my hand following my discharging of it, it was decided in open court that his fingerprints proved he had been the one to fire the bullet in question and, white man that he is, he bore the brunt of the subsequent prison sentence. The slightly pained gait with which he walks to this day can be ascribed to his period in that Teutonic gaol, where the social lives of inmates was questionable, to say the least, and lubricants were often in painfully short supply, even on the black market.

It was against this backdrop of prison sodomy, the perils of inebriation and the justice meted to the musically incontinent that tonight's fixture took place. The national anthems told their own story. The home fans booed our rendition - resentful, perhaps, that we had borrowed and then refused to return the epitome of charm that is Germanic royalty – well, finders keepers – while the German anthem was intoned by their team with all the hollowness of the already-thrice vanquished. Each umlaut was winced, reminiscent of Seppings during his incarceration anticipating another perilous visit to the communal showers.

There was criticism of the import of this game, a certain downplaying of its undoubted historical significance – I can think of no recent international political event which has had more resonance than this fixture, or whose outcome was more keenly anticipated by a watching world. However, it is no exaggeration, but rather an imaginative simile, to compare this game to World War II – World War II, that is, minus the participation of Churchill, Field Marshall Montgomery, Adolf Hitler, Herman Goerring, and Douglas Bader, who, like our own, absent Frank Lampard, suffered from the handicap of not being able to use his legs in any effective way.

My one regret upon watching this game was that the England team did not line up and deliver, as they did in 1938, the Nazi salute before the start of the game. No doubt the political correctness of the liberal elite quashed this sensible proposal. However, it would have had the felicitous effect of wiping the slate of the 1940s clean, signifying a new beginning based upon the happy assumption that the events of 1939-45 never happened. Certainly, viewing the German team's first half performance in particular, one entertained the thought that if this had been the best they could muster back in 1939, they would have been as well off restricting their global military adventures to running to the Czech border, throwing pebbles at the guards on patrol then swiftly running away again, leather shorts squeaking with fretfulness between their thighs. Tonight's was not a great vintage.

As for England, their every onslaught had the Germans scurrying about in a somewhat pitiful, crybaby panic, the way their citizens did in Dresden in 1944 (in similar circumstances, John Bull, his wife Joan and their children Johnny and Joanetta would doubtless have stood in the streets, square jawed, waving their fists in contempt at the oncoming Dorniers). It was no surprise when we went ahead – by this point, the Germans would have had a better chance against Blighty in a joke-telling or irony-getting or sunbed-reserving-fairly competition. Come the second half and only Darren Bent's mistake in failing to stay upright prevented England from attaining a second goal. Bent was in no way to blame for the mistake personally - it was racial in origin. Unfortunately, in a calamity of which more later, the Germans fortuitously gained parity. Thankfully, John Terry, our Captain and guarantor of patriotic viscosity, headed the winner with but minutes to spare. Seppings, bending over to serve me upon a platter a flagon of restorative brandy, bore the brunt of my appreciation. He is under strict instructions not to wash his face for a fortnight.

Two things emerge from this fixture. The first is that, as a psychological boost to our boys for the next World Cup, that England stage a victory celebration for the 2010 World Cup early in the new year, with the likes of Gary Neville and David Beckham holding aloft the trophy, whether sanctioned by FIFA or obtained by the SAS from their headquarters, as the bus wends its slow way through Regents Street towards Trafalgar Square.

The second is that the England team learn to shake off the sexual thrall in which they hold their Captain. I have dwelt perhaps in excess in this report on the to and fro of this game, the action as it took place, stressed too little its overarching geopolitical significance. However, indulge me just a little further as I reconstruct the events which lead to Germany's equalising goal. As the ball bounced, apparently harmlessly, towards Scott Carson, it should have been a simple matter either for John Terry to pass back or to clear into touch. However, as he shaped up, presenting his backside in the process, it was clear to me that the goalkeeper could be seen, frozen in infatuation, mouthing the words “marry me”. This only stoked the confusion, of which the Germans, shabbily oblivious to the English horror of sexual ambiguity, took full advantage. For indirectly allowing this unfortunate situation to arise, it is clear that the Football Association take but once course of action. It is clear that this Capello, mysteriously promoted from the capacity of monkey mascot to manager, be fired forthwith. He is the Weakest Link, Arrivederci.

All I could think of as I watched the winning goal was, "Seppings - the barrel!" In the US on GolTV, the world's second worst co-commentator, Ray Hudson (beaten to that title by the illegendary Tommy Smyth) came in his little Geordie Y-fronts at least eight times in the ensuing minutes. "Captain Courageous! Magnificent! Marvellous! We all remember the heartache and the tears he went through, but now what a hero...[on and on until the final whistle]" It was hailed as pretty much the best headed goal of all time.

Comment

wingco wrote:
      As the ball bounced, apparently harmlessly, towards Scott Carson, it should have been a simple matter either for John Terry to pass back or to clear into touch. However, as he shaped up, presenting his backside in the process, it was clear to me that the goalkeeper could be seen, frozen in infatuation, mouthing the words “marry me”.
      I just wish we could read this in tomorrow's papers.

Comment

imp wrote:
        Captain Courageous!
        Did he actually say that, imp? David Pleat used the exact same two words on ITV...

Comment

He said that and a whole lot more. I've got it on DVR - I may transcribe it tomorrow for everyone's delight and information.

Comment

Oh, yes please.

Comment

Yes, I watched it on Gol TV too, and Hudson was every bit as gushing as Imp makes out. "We all remember his tears of despair...".

Comment

when the Germans, once proud, clipped, erect, properly suspicious of usury in their midst and boasting a tidy record in such hygienic matters as racial homogeneity
                Jaw dropped, followed by a nervous guffaw.

Comment

I was interested by Fabio Capello's post-match comments to the BBC:

"I think it is impossible to be better than this," Capello said.

"We have played nine games and after every one I said the players had taken another step forward. This is another one - the players played very well.

But to be honest with you, the only reason we play friendlies like these is so that we can read the humorous post-match report by Wingco on the popular football-and-other-stuff website When Saturday Comes. I'll be straight onto my wireless laptop in the limo home, to see if he's posted it yet."

Comment

We have SO got to, somehow, get an England player to blurt out "Seppings! The Bucket!" in a post-match interview ...

Comment

There are no Bierkellers in Dusseldorf, mind you. Must have been a Hausbrauerei.

Comment

So much amazing stuff... Baader-Meinhof... lubricant... Dresden... Lampard... but this was the bit that killed me:

"Bent was in no way to blame for the mistake personally - it was racial in origin"

Comment

Andreas AND Douglas Ba(a)der...

reminds me of a Fresher's Week experience when we stayed over at a house party and were rambling about Baader-Meinhof and a drunk bloke curled up in the other corner half woke up and said if we had a problem with war heroes like Douglas Bader, we'd have to 'step outside' and he'd 'have a word'.

Comment

So, I take it you all know about the bit on the Chris Morris show on Radio 1 when he interviewed 2 Unlimited and asked them whether the line "There's no limit, we reach for the sky" was a tribute to the British war hero Douglas Bader (whose autobiography was called Reach For The Sky), and Anita Dels and Ray Slijngaard had never heard of him, so Morris pretended to be mortally offended by this, and managed to guilt-trip them into doing an a capella snatch of the song, and shouting "This one's for you, Doug!" ...?

Comment

I didn't know that, ha!

autobiography was called Reach For The Sky
                              as was the film, starring Kenneth More.

Bader had a greater public presence than many other WW2 'heroes', 'cos he used to turn up at televised golf tournaments as an amateur (yes, with no legs).

Comment

wingco wrote:
                                As the ball bounced, apparently harmlessly, towards Scott Carson, it should have been a simple matter either for John Terry to pass back or to clear into touch. However, as he shaped up, presenting his backside in the process, it was clear to me that the goalkeeper could be seen, frozen in infatuation, mouthing the words “marry me”.
                                A small factual point as I didn't see the game. Wasn't Terry attempting to "shepherd" the ball back to Carson? Wouldn't he have "presented(ed) his backside" to the German (if that's not too impertinent an image) in that case?

Comment

The same point has been troubling me all morning although given Seppings' experiences in a German prison I assumed Terry was just being careful.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                    So, I take it you all know about the bit on the Chris Morris show on Radio 1 when he interviewed 2 Unlimited and asked them whether the line "There's no limit, we reach for the sky" was a tribute to the British war hero Douglas Bader (whose autobiography was called Reach For The Sky), and Anita Dels and Ray Slijngaard had never heard of him, so Morris pretended to be mortally offended by this, and managed to guilt-trip them into doing an a capella snatch of the song, and shouting "This one's for you, Doug!" ...?
                                    "You say 'no' sixteen times in a row. Isn't that a liddle negaddive?"

Comment

"Is there anything you would like to see limits on?"

"Yes. Racism."

More excellence from Wingco - I'd like to see these collected in a book one day, but you know, I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

I liked the squeaky leather shorts.

Ray Hudson has to be heard to be believed. He's a caricature of a caricature. That was quite a good header by John Terry, though.

Comment

the British war hero Douglas Bader (whose autobiography was called Reach For The Sky)

We had to read that in our English lessons in the third year at secondary school.

Comment

Thanks very much everybody. To clear up a few queries. Yes, of course there are no Bierkellers in Düsseldorf, I was deeply conscious of that. Hence Seppings's master ending up at the Krautrock gig. And yes, Terry was actually "presenting" to the German player as he attempted to shepherd the ball back to Carson. But it was the fact that he was presenting at all, so freely and casually, never mind to whom, which intrigued and aroused Carson. Here, he thought, is a presenter, a man who presents. Hey big presenter, present a little backside to me. I trust that clears everything up.

Comment

treibeis wrote:
                                              the British war hero Douglas Bader (whose autobiography was called Reach For The Sky)

We had to read that in our English lessons in the third year at secondary school.
                                              Bloody hell. That's just twisted and sadistic. What sort of nation would make their kids...

...oh.

Comment

"Four legs good but no legs best!"

Comment

So Ice-T would be Cop Bruiser?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X