Factlet request, re: DfB vs. FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking for a statistic and a cursory googling isn't helping.

Can anyone furnish me with figures regarding the number of clubs registered with the FA vs. the number of clubs registered with the DfB?

Surprisingly, the FIFA website is useful for once:

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=eng/countryInfo.html

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=ger/countryInfo.html

Comment

25,856 for the DfB.

And 125,000 "FA-affiliated teams" for England, but it strikes me that the standards being used are likely to be different in the two cases.

Comment

English FA in inflating numbers shock.

Comment

OTF wins again!

Thanks for the prompt answer, albeit one that goes against what I'm trying to argue about elsewhere on the internet - namely someone telling me that the Bundesliga is inferior to the Premiership because there are fewer clubs in Germany.

Now that's plainly a wrong-headed way of looking at things, but I have over-eagerly jumped in poohpoohing the notion that there's hardly any clubs in Germany. Ho hum.

Comment

There are fewer clubs in Germany, but they field more teams. The lowest levels of football are populated by second, third and fourth teams of sports clubs, rather than the pub teams and park teams you get in England.

Comment

Ah, I hadn't thought of the multiple teams aspect of things.

Anyway, for anyone interesting in following one-sided reports of another man's arguments, I've pretty much given up as this chap (and bear in mind he is a Manchester United fan from Manchester) has claimed that Manchester has four clubs in the Premiership. The mind boggles.

Comment

AB's observation is born out by the fact that Germany has about four times as many players registered with the DfB as England as with the FA.

Comment

Anyway, for anyone interesting in following one-sided reports of another man's arguments, I've pretty much given up as this chap (and bear in mind he is a Manchester United fan from Manchester) has claimed that Manchester has four clubs in the Premiership. The mind boggles.
                  Is it technically not the case that Bolton and Wigan are in Greater Manchester? Is this perhaps what he was referring to?

Comment

Just to emphasise the point, here's a picture from the St. Pauli 7th team's hotly contested derby against the St. Pauli 5th team.

Comment

I think the argument would have been framed more correctly as English football being superior to German football on account of England's greater number of clubs. And history bears out that superiority. What did the Germans win in 1966? Nothing.

Comment

Glass Half Empty wrote:

Is it technically not the case that Bolton and Wigan are in Greater Manchester? Is this perhaps what he was referring to?
                        Are they balls. Towns like Stockport, Oldham, Rochdale etc. can just about be covered by the 'Greater Manchester' umbrella, but Bolton's really quite a way away, well outside the M60. That'd be like saying Reading is part of Greater London. And Wigan's only slightly closer to Manchester than it is to Liverpool...

Comment

saucy tramp! wrote:

I've read somewhere that there was a third Manchester club called Manchester Central who tried to get a place in the League around 1930... but United and City conspired to keep them out- they didn't fancy the competition for supporters!

Comment

That was in WSC earlier this year. You've just reminded me I need to order the book on the history of Mancunian football that it was an extract from.

On the other hand, perhaps I'll stick it on my Christmas list. Ta, Trimster.

Comment

Website for the book (which looks terrific, btw).

Comment

Ta very much Ursus.

Comment

Working...
                                X