It's like another Rogin idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would a ten-team Premiership be like? All the teams playing each other 4 times a season. Still 5 or 6 European places up for grabs, and still 3 relegation places, so there pretty much wouldn't be a "mid-table" position except 7th place, for anyone.

No more 5-0 wins for Chelsea or Man U over hapless cannon fodder. But still - before anyone points it out - the opportunity for a Hull City to have their day, I'm still saying 3-up, 3-down.

This was why Scotland went from 2 divisions to 4, wasn't it, thirty years ago? Is the Scottish League any better for it?

I have a feeling Sky's "Super Amazing Grand Slam Awesome Wow Look At This The Big Four Have Been Magically Drawn To Play Each Other On The Same Day Sunday!!!" may become very tiring when it occurs 6 or 7 times a season.

Added to that if we go with current tv schedules of one match Sat lunch, one Sat evening and 3 on Sunday, the 3pm Saturday kick off will be history (in the Premier League at least).

Comment

I have a feeling Sky's "Super Amazing Grand Slam Awesome Wow Look At This The Big Four Have Been Magically Drawn To Play Each Other On The Same Day Sunday!!!" may become very tiring when it occurs 6 or 7 times a season.
      Tiring for some - most OTF readers, possibly - but not, I wonder, for the massive majority of Sky-viewing armchair fans to whom this kind of "entertainment" is aimed at already?

Added to that if we go with current tv schedules of one match Sat lunch, one Sat evening and 3 on Sunday, the 3pm Saturday kick off will be history (in the Premier League at least).
      It pretty much already is, for fans of Sky's big 4. Would attendances at "real" matches in the rest of the league on Saturday afternoons benefit from all the Premiership matches being scheduled elsewhere? (Question, not theory)

Comment

Terrible idea. It would mean that Arsenal would win the league by dint of not having to play against Stoke, Hull and Aston Villa (who'd be relegated at some point).

Besides, Sky would insist that the ten teams would be chosen according to not sporting but economic formulae. So the first season line-up would comprise

Man Utd
        Chelsea
        Arsenal
        Liverpool
        Everton
        Tottenham
        Aston Villa
        Newcastle
        West Ham
        Leeds United

Comment

No Manchester City, G-Man? I remember we laughed at one of their directors making a comment over the summer stating precisely that they'd be included under those criteria, when they plainly wouldn't be. But he obviously knew at the time what was about to happen...

Comment

Would they, at the moment? They're bottom half right now, aren't they?

Comment

Anyway, to answer the question, it would be a terrible idea. Of course, they'd have to sell it as being "more exciting for the fans" and all that garbage but, ultimately, it would be all about the money. Premier League One (which I'll call it for the sake of argument) seeking to syphon off even more money for itself. All it would realistically do is place smaller clubs at even greater disadvantage - teams from twentieth place down in the Premier League would have to manage two promotions just to play Manchester United in the league. Fuck that.

Comment

I've been thinking about this today. Surely this would spell the end of the plucky minnows cutting their own in the top flight. The top four would remain, courtesy of their Champs league cash. Your next two get all the UEFA Cup (sorry, sorry - Europa league, pardon my Platini speak) cash. It's highly feasible to imagine the team 7th picks up a Europe spot in the domestic cups, and even if not has two seasons, at least, of top flight domestic money.

Your bottom 3 and all promoted teams afterwards, are no longer fighting to compete with your Fulhams, Wigans and Boltons to attain a 17th or higher and the simple joy of survival. In a ten-team league promoted teams have to not only be good, but European level. Without the cash I'd seriously believe the top 7 would pretty much never change.

Comment

and yes, I've just realized this isn't a million miles from the current top seven, I meant you wouldn't have hardly any chance of breaking in there.

Comment

twohundredpercent wrote:
                    Would they, at the moment? They're bottom half right now, aren't they?
                    Surely we're not pretending that, under such a scheme, the criteria for inclusion would have anything to do with the current top / bottom ten in the Prem (or even the current top / bottom ten at the end of the season)?

You don't seriously think, if each team more or less holds its current position until the end of this season, and next season were to be the inaugural year of the 'new' system, that Hull would be allowed in and Spurs, City et al excluded, simply because they (Hull) happened to deserve it more on the pitch, do you?

Comment

Working...
                    X