Football Ground Photo Websites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magyarfootball.hu is a terrific site on, well yes, Hungarian football that incorporates a large section on photos of grounds large and small around the country, here . Js Goal is a J-League official site, with a photo gallery of grounds that stage J-League matches, here. There are a examples from both below. Any more suggestions?

Siofok

MTK Budapest

Kashima Antlers

FC Gifu

The Dusselhopper site has some interesting stuff from Germany and beyond.

Preussen Munster

Germania Ratingen

Comment

This guy is German, but is a serious obsessive, and visits grounds all over Central Europe (including Italy; he's covered 50,000 km so far this season alone).

His report of each visit generally includes a number of photos, a copy of his ticket and a travel/match report. The last bit is obviously in German, but appreciating the rest doesn't require any German-language capability whatsoever.

Here's an example of a photo from his recent trip to Serie D match in Sicily:

Highly recommended.

Comment

Woohoo! That's the kind of thing. There's another big German site called Stadien in Baden Wurttemberg, here - although it would be a grave error to think that the webmaster restricts himself solely to the Baden Wurttemberg area as regards source material. A grave error.

Karlsruhe

Zwickau

Comment

My impression is that the Germans are more serious about this than anyone else, but this Swedish site has the benefit of being in English (as well as also covering Denmark, England, Holland, Germany, Liechtenstein and Spain).

Stadionwelt from Austria claims to host reports from 41 UEFA countries, as well as Turkish Cyprus and Venezuela, while Stadionfreund of Germany has reports on 436 grounds in 16 countries (click on the "Groundliste" near the top for the list).

Comment

The Pie & Mushy Peas site is a more straightforward groundhopping blog covering mostly English non-league, but there are some decent photos there as well. It has also taught me that:

"Stamford AFC are known as The Daniels in honour of Daniel Lambert, one of the heaviest men in history. He was born in 1770 and was to eventually pass away in Stamford some 37 years later. By this time his weight had reached 52 stone and 11 pounds."

There are also photographs at Football Grounds In Focus, which provides some handy and relevant definitions, such as that of, "the most essential piece of equipment the groundhopper possesses... the carrier bag... usually a high grade bag with some 'posing' value such as a cross-channel ferry company or a bus company's name on it."

Comment

No pics to add unfortunately, but if you had asked me to guess where that Zwickau pic came from (without my knowing the answer, obviously) I would have guessed east Germany.

Thats a very strange looking building at the back of the MTK pic... and I bet that the Kashima stadium ROCKS on a good day (although aesthetically, and possibly acoustically I would have brought the overhang in by about 5 metres all round)

Comment

Really, Gerontophile, I would have located the Zwickau picture as having been taken in Scandinavia - possibly influenced by this Swedish stunna from the Groundhopping.se site which UA mentions.

The ever gorgeous Djurgarden

Comment

Three belters from the extensive library at the Football Grounds In Focus site mentioned above - taken in Scotland, Wales and Iceland.

Stenhousemuir

Llanberis

FH

Comment

I've been to Llanberis! Though it didnt look like that.

*edit I have been to Ochilview too (long forgotten away game with Queens Park) and it definitely didnt look like that. same picture in gray, with horizontal gray rain, and I might have seen the resemblance)

Djurgarden does look lovely, but I would have guessed that that was somewhere in Italy (which shows how much I know)

Comment

Don't be so hard on yourself. The Stockholm Olympic Stadium was one of the significant influences in the design of the Dell'Ara in Bologna .

I'm with you on Zwickau, btw; very Eastern Bloc and more likely DDR than anywhere else.

Comment

some of these pictures should be in SR's thread over on World about Things that shouldnt look beautiful but are.

Comment

The venerable Pyramid Passion deserves a mention here, being reasonably exhaustive (if a little southern biased).

Comment

I chose Tranmere at random, 200. No sign. So I see what you mean.

Comment

A couple more interesting photos from sites linked to above.

Not strictly speaking ground-related - Oostende's remarkable mascots

The club house at the evidently reborn Dukla Prague

Comment

Hmmmmmm.

I would have sworn that those were Karneval figures of the type one sees in the Rhineland, but no, they are indeed Oostende's mascots:

Even more remarkably, perhaps, his match and atmosphere report barely mentions them, other than for a fleeting reference to the "pig ugly mascots".

The Flemish are different (and so are the Germans).

Comment

Those mascots must have been stolen from "Jeux Sans Frontieres".

Comment

Oh, I love Euro-plan, or "DIE Groundhoppingseite im Netz," as it describes itself. And here's a teensy quiz from amongst its pages; simple enough, where are these two?

Comment

1. Sofia
                                      2. Norway? It looks like a speed skating track around the pitch.

Comment

UA, I'm so sorry, but I'm absolutely gleeful at the extent to which you're wrong, especially for #2.

Comment

OK, two more guesses.

1. Kiev
                                          2. Bali

Comment

1. Is Minsk, judging by the 'dinamo' bit. And the statue, of course.

Comment

All of this reminds me of a book I got around the time of Italia '90; Football Grounds of Europe by Simon Inglis. I really loved the pictures in it. The pics seemed to place a worm in my brain for this kind of thing, I've never been the same since.

Some call it an illness, some call it anti-social, I call it an passion. Maybe I'm sad.

Comment

There's some nicely situated grounds in North Wales.

Conwy United

Llanfairfechan Town

Colwyn Bay

Llanrug

Comment

That's terrific stuff, Kowalski. Would love to see more if you have it. I've never even heard of Llanrug but on a sunny day like that it looks beautiful.

EIM - spot on, it's Minsk. By all accounts Dinamo's home ground doubles as the national stadium. The other one is Belenenses.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X