Being threatened by professional footballers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other day when I popped into the OUFC reception to pick up my programme the club secretary asked me for my phone number "because Martin Gray wants it". I thought they were taking the piss and wanted my number for some other reason, so gave it to them.

Lo and behold, later that evening after the game I get a phone call and this Mackem accent on the other end says "Did you write that my father had a go at you before the Middlesbrough game a few years ago?"

I replied in the affirmative, because that's what I remembered - Martin Gray's folks balling me out because I produced a fanzine cover with a picture of Gray under the caption Ugly Bloke. "Well, it wasn't my Dad it was my Mum. And another thing..." and he went into a long rant about some (admittedly derogatory) stuff I'd written about him in an article in the OUFC programme, saying "How do you think my family must feel reading that about me?"

Among some of the other gems he came out with were "Where's your team now? When I was playing for them they were in the Championship, and now look at them - think about that before you have a go", (I refrained from pointing out that his current club had just lost at Wycombe in the fourth division) and "Let me know where you live and I'll come round and see you face to face. I'm not scared. If I've got something to say I'll say it to your face".

The phone call ended when I asked him "so, what do you want me to do about it?" "Make it right" he said. So here it is, me making it right (and I admit this isn't probably what he had in mind): sorry Martin, you weren't quite as bad a footballer as I claimed in my programme article - you were indeed playing at three divisions (and occasionally two divisions) higher than United are now, so you must have been okay, alright? Please don't visit me.

Anyone else received threatening or angry phone calls from professional footballers, offering them out?

There was the guy who phoned Baker & Kelly who related a story about how, as a Newcastle United supporter, he'd written a letter to the club about their poor performances and was surprised to be invited to St James Park to discuss the matter by their manager at the time, Arthur Cox. When he got there, Cox basically offered him out.

Comment

Oh, a friend of mine got punched in the bar after a match by a St Albans player that had he had been shouting abuse at all afternoon, but I'd be unsurprised if that was relatively common in non-league circles.

Comment

Bloody hell, that's bonkers, Boris.

As I've said on here loads of times before, Steve McMahon once called me a cunt because I'd painted a picture of him that he thought made him look like Paul Daniels. He was probably right on both counts.

Charlton Athletic's Steve Jones once burped in my face. I can't remember why, but I was in the players' lounge at the County Ground after a dreadful match in which Jones had scored the only goal. He overheard me saying to a friend that I didn't think Charlton were good enough to win promotion. He stepped between us, deposited the belch, and walked off. Charlton went on to win promotion a couple of months later. Fair do's.

Comment

Did you 1471 the number? You should put it up here, so we can phone him up and threaten him, and asking where he gets off hassling people for just doing his job, and for having a mother who clearly looks and sounds like a man.

Comment

Heh. I accept that me mixing up his mum and dad is probably due to my crap memory - the game in question was when Middlesbrough beat us 4-1 up the Riverside to win promotion to the prem, so that was what, 1998?

He actually called me on my mobile, so I've probably still got his number in the memory somewhere, as I don't think I deleted it. Maybe I should call him and draw his attention to my "putting it right" in this thread.

Comment

Working...
            X