Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the fucking fuck is going on with Franchise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(redux)

They are definitely going up this season, aren't they? I was sure Winkleman was just using them for his own devices, but I'm starting to wonder now. Bah.

Oh well... one day they will be in trouble. And then just watch as the Fans Unite to help them towards oblivion...

Well, yes, but they're going up to League One. Not a massive achievement. Just look at the clubs around them. If/when Ince goes in the summer, we can keep our fingers crossed that they'll be going straight back down.

Comment

Kevin McCara's spirited defence of Franchise on the Guardian football podcast this week was pretty depressing. His argument seemed to simply consist of the fact that clubs have been moving around for years and that it's easy to pick on poor old MK Dons. He used the example that Winkleman had given of how Arsenal had moved to North London for commercial reasons. So what? Just because it was done nearly a century ago, it doesn't make it right now. Perhaps we should also rescind the right for women to vote and bring back capital punishment and small pox?

What depressed me more was that James Richardson, a respected and well-informed broadcaster, agreed completely and suggested that the people of Milton Keynes deserve a football club because it's a boring place to live. This opinion may of course have been influenced by his friendship with Paul Ince. Luckily, at least Shaun Ingle was in the studio to point out that there were plenty of clubs around Milton Keynes that Winkleman could have invested in and done things the right way.

Now, I don't expect for one minute that a major media outlet like The Guardian would understand the fears and struggles that supporters of lower-league clubs face (their coverage of football outside of the top flight is scarce and laughable), but I still found it all deeply disheartening and certainly backed up the views given in the WSC Daily piece on Monday about Franchise's creeping levels of acceptability.

As our friends in Cleethorpes say: Never forgive. Never forget.

Comment

It is a pretty damning indictment on the state of the press that they can be so out of touch with my experience of how ordinary fans feel on the subject. I fear that the angle of slating Franchise may end up being fighting a losing battle, though I'll keep doing it until my dying breath. Every time it doesn't happen, though (and it could, countless times every season), is a small victory.

Comment

Now, I don't expect for one minute that a major media outlet like The Guardian would understand the fears and struggles that supporters of lower-league clubs face (their coverage of football outside of the top flight is scarce and laughable)
          What we need, right, is some sort of website, or zine, or podcast or something that deals with lower and non league football in an intelligent and engaging way.

Hmmmmm

Comment

It'll never happen.

Comment

There was a pretty good piece slagging them off in (of all places) the Metro today. The bastards.

Comment

Nah, never going to happen.

Comment

Have I missed something? Is there a lower-league / non-league podcast that I'm unaware of?

Anyway, here's the Metro piece Etienne mentioned above:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/footbal...&in_page_id=43

By the way, if anyone could tell me how to edit links, that would be just peachy.

Comment

this is how to edit links

but with square mo-foing brackets.

No there isn't a podcast. Not that I know of.

Comment

BBC London has a non-league radio show on Monday nights that is usually available on their "listen again" facility. It's a bit fusty, but it does occasionally cover some interesting ground (they did one from Enfield Town, for example). Because it's produced for BBC London, though, it's kind of biased towards the Conference and the Ryman League.

Comment

Jimski wrote:
                        (redux)

I was sure Winkleman was just using them for his own devices, but I'm starting to wonder now.
                        He might not be but Asda/Wal-mart still is. I worked with Winkleman decades ago and know his business and he has no real cash, the investment in the team and stadium is all from the people who needed a community project (the stadium) to get the massive retail development planning permission, Asda/Wal-Mart.

Of course I am sure the potential for a successful side climbing up the leagues is of interest to it's backers especially in this time of vastly improved TV deals and even relatively minor D2 clubs attracting billionaire interest but the fundamental reason for Franchise existing is still not football and should there be a reverse or slowdown in their succes in the medium term they could still very well be in trouble.

Comment

Asda/Wal Mart are a bunch of bastards. They fancied a bigger shop in Llandudno and the amount of land my school covered in total was larger than Asda's site. Fortunately my old school was across the road.

Hey presto!!! Bang goes one of Llandudno's oldest buildings, with some nice architectural features, and Asda now has a shiny new terminal building. Don't worry though the town has a new school partly built on a rubbish dump.

Comment

Is it not a sad fact, that since this new board has been open, Franchise are the only club to have won a trophy?

Don't mess with the Status Quo, that's what I say.

Comment

Thankfully you're wrong, Bethesda Athletic won the Cookson Cup.

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/bangorandangleseymail/sport/tm_headline=football-bethesda-clinch-the-cookson-cup%26method=full%26objectid=20701155%26siteid=501 42-name_page.html

Comment

Working...
                              X