X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CORRUPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, who's this then?

I don't know, but does anyone know why porto had to fix matches in the Superliga when they were just about to win the champions league? and what is going to happen to them?

Comment

Sky Sports News have actually been doing a feature on the Sporting Chance seminar, and named two players that were part of it, but neither have been sent off in the last four years.

Comment

Porto was just following in Olympique Marseille's footsteps.

Taking to measures to ensure that they didn't have to worry too much about some domestic results (allegedly) allowed them to focus all of their energies on winning the Champions League.

That was exactly Tapie's reasoning for paying off Valenciennes.

Comment

but I thought that porto had won the league by the quarter final stage?

Comment

They ended the season 8 points ahead of Benfica (and 9 ahead of Sporting), so that would appear not to be the case (the season ended on 9 May).

Comment

Also, some say that Porto (allegedly) paid refs all the time as a future investment ...

Comment

Well, this comes as no surprise to me since they obviously bribed the ref when they played United at Old Trafford in 2004.

Comment

This we have missed?

Comment

Bloody thread hijackers!

Comment

I did wonder about this match but there were only 2 other players booked. It was the manner of the sending off that was odd. Plus he is known to have a bit of a gambling problem

Comment

Fair shout that, Bill.

Comment

If you want three bookings and a dodgy sending off, try this...

Comment

This alternative report of the story suggests another worrying issue:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/footballer-fixed-match-to-pay-off-gambling-debt-of-16350000-804512.html

Quote: Another source said they knew of current players – including some in the Premiership - who are fighting cocaine addiction without the knowledge of their clubs.

This doesn't suggest that football's anti-doping arrangements are much good.

GO There is not much that I would not believe modern professional footballers to be capable of but I find it impossible to believe that Phil Jagielka (who was the player booked in the Gillespie sending off incident)would deliberately contrive to get booked in order to contribute to the corruption of the game whilst playing for Sheffield United. (or indeed now) If there is one thing that will stop him pulling on an England top it is a lack of cynicism in the way he plays the game, he is as honest in the way he plays the game as it is possible to be. If I'm wrong on this I would pack football in for good.

Comment

Sorry I meant BP not GO.

Comment

The original "Independent" article describes the player as "having a premier League club on his CV" which tells me that he
                                A/ Never played Premier League football (youth & reserve player perhaps?)
                                B/ The game concerned wasnt a Premier League game (as THAT wouldve been the headlines).

Narrows it down to a good few thousand Id reckon.

Comment

I'd say that they're not a current Premiership player, and that the source did not mention the game, because all the info has gone to the FA, and they made a comment about finding out if the game came under their jurisdiction - so the game could have been an International played on British soil, or even a league game played in Wales.

Comment

Phoebe Disco wrote:
                                    ... or even a league game played in Wales.
                                    I think "... the game was at a level significant enough to warrant a sizeable market in this." rules out the Welsh Prem.

Comment

Working...
                                    X