No announcement yet.

Are you right there, Wayne Hennessey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to say that I believe Hennessey, but there are some terribly uninformed people out there or even pretty well-informed people with astonishing gaps in their knowledge.

Tomasz Schafernaker is a pretty well-educated guy by he recently revealed on WILTY that until his mid-30s he had no idea that lambs were in fact young sheep!
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 18-04-2019, 16:38.

Comment

All I can say is that the Welsh education system must have declined pretty rapidly in just a few years because I spent a whole term learning about Nazism... and I didn't even do history for my last two years beause it was either that or geography for my GCSEs and I thought I'd get a better grade out of the latter.

Comment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47996638

Good luck with that, Wayne. It's not a particularly well-documented period.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
          All I can say is that the Welsh education system must have declined pretty rapidly in just a few years because I spent a whole term learning about Nazism... and I didn't even do history for my last two years beause it was either that or geography for my GCSEs and I thought I'd get a better grade out of the latter.
          This is the UK, it's hard to go more than five days without hearing references to Hitler/Nazi's and WWII. This has been amped up in the Era of Brexit.
          Fair play to his Lawyer who has earned his money by introducing enough reasonable doubt to get him off.

Comment

Very much agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

This is the UK, it's hard to go more than five days without hearing references to Hitler/Nazi's and WWII. This has been amped up in the Era of Brexit.
              Fair play to his Lawyer who has earned his money by introducing enough reasonable doubt to get him off.
              Fuck him and fuck his lawyer. It's a pitiful feeble contemptible defence and blatant bullshit. And fuck the FA for accepting it, they should be utterly fucking embarrassed. All the talk about taking the lead and getting their own house in order following recent racist abuse in Europe and at home is quite obviously the same old empty platitudes they always splutter out with no intention of actually making serious changes and applying appropriate sanctions.

Comment

The FA haven't made this decision; they've used the procedure under their regulations to have it assessed by an independent commission. Those commissioners act independently, and in this case, voted 2-1 for the verdict. The alternative is that they just make judgements internally and communicate them, which would last about 3 minutes given the level of lawyer a moderately talented player can hire before there was an appeal to the Courts under the Human Rights Act provisions that have been incorporated into employment law.

Comment

If that's the FA's procedure then the buck still stops with them, independent commission or not. Even in a court of law the defence Hennessey presented could easily be dismissed as implausible.

Comment

My 15 year old son is well aware of Nazism and all the corresponding images and what is permissible and what not. As will be all of your 15 year old sons and daughters out there. Hennessey's defence ìs indeed not only implausible but an insult to all of us.

Comment

Hennessey and his lawyer are probably taking the piss here, but I think all of you (apart from NS) are seriously overestimating how much the average young person knows about modern history.

Comment

I think it is more that people think that the Nazi salute is among the handful of things they would recognise.

He is also 32, not 14.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                          Hennessey and his lawyer are probably taking the piss here, but I think all of you (apart from NS) are seriously overestimating how much the average young person knows about modern history.

Nah, not having it. There are kids out there who are much younger and much dumber than Hennessey who know perfectly well what a Nazi or Hitler salute is. There are pictures all over the internet and social media of people and groups making provacative and inappropriate hand gestures that still make news, and there are TV channels that are all but devoted to Nazi history.
                          Hennessey isn't a kid, he's a 32-year-old man and if he thinks anyone with even half a brain is convinced by his defence of total ignorance then he's even dumber than he's pretending to be, and a cunt too.
                          Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 20-04-2019, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                            There are kids out there who are much younger and much dumber than Hennessey who know perfectly well what a Nazi or Hitler salute is.
                            Would you like me to explain what the word "average" means?

I'm pretty sure I interact with more twenty- and thirty-somethings than most people on this board. I've had very painful conversations with intelligent, university-educated people who didn't know if the Nazis were during WWI or WWII, or which side ("good" or "bad") the Germans were on during WWII.

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            I think it is more that people think that the Nazi salute is among the handful of things they would recognise.
                            Yeah, I tend to agree with that. Even if you'd picked it up from somewhere, you would at the very least know it was offensive.
                            Last edited by Fussbudget; 20-04-2019, 15:29.

Comment

I don't have much interaction with today's youth, but the few guys at our workplace in their early twenties and teens all seemed to understand what he had done and its significance, and none of them have had any time in higher education.
                              As for Hennessey, at the time the story broke there was his explanation that he was trying to get somebody's attention and trying to make his voice carry, and him stressing that he would never knowingly make such an offensive gesture, but his plea of total ignorance only came to light during the hearing which is why I believe he is full of shit.

Comment

Wayne obviously hasn't got up to WW2 yet.

Comment

I liked the joke on HIGNFY that Wayne only enjoyed 11 episodes of Fawlty Towers and just didn't get the other one. Josh Widdecombe said it but it was still funny.

Comment

I meet Hennessey once, several years, at Wolverhampton races. He's a bit thick, so it wouldn't surprise that his history isn't up to scratch, but the cultural references to the salute are everywhere, so yeah, he knows.

Comment

It's not even that modern. Hitler died 74 years ago.

Comment

Modern History starts from the end of the 'middle-ages'. I did a modern history degree that started in the 15th century.

I'm sure other will disagree, but this period seems to be the standard starting point.

Comment

Early 16th Century according to Wiki.

Late modern starting around the beginning of the 19th and contemporary from 1945 onwards.
                                          Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 22-04-2019, 09:57.

Comment

More pertinent surely is the televisual era, which means any history from that time is far more readily available beyond classrooms.

Comment

Modern history starts in 1453 with the fall of Constantinople and therefore the end of the last vestigial remnant of the the Roman Empire, and by extension the end of the Ancient World. As I'm sure Wayne Hennessey is fully aware.

Comment

When I finished my undergraduate degree in 1980, "history" of any kind ended in 1945. Anything that happened after that was considered appropriate for "political science" (or what we called "government" just because)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                  Hennessey isn't a kid, he's a 32-year-old man and if he thinks anyone with even half a brain is convinced by his defence of total ignorance then he's even dumber than he's pretending to be, and a cunt too.
                                                  'Yet here we are.'

Comment

I'm pretty sure I interact with more twenty- and thirty-somethings than most people on this board. I've had very painful conversations with intelligent, university-educated people who didn't know if the Nazis were during WWI or WWII, or which side ("good" or "bad") the Germans were on during WWII.
                                                    Fucking hell, seriously? With "intelligent" people?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X