Imaginative Reasons for not joining/ staying at Chelsea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imaginative Reasons for not joining/ staying at Chelsea

A short quiz- just name the SW6-phobe in each case...

1 In the pub after an unsuccessful Italian holiday, a spiv called Bill or Nick offered him a double

2 Completing Dublin postal round (1986)

3 Looking after mother-in-law's greengrocery in Barnsley (1992)

4 "Club has no history and a mediocre squaaaad, but we must remain Fockers" (2013)

And ending on a heartfelt note

5 "Seems like only yesterday I was a teenager just starting in the game. My advice to youngsters is enjoy every minute...maintenant c'est dur, a la Cote d'Azur!" (2019)

Thanks to Nocturnal Submission for the idea

1 Jimmy Greaves

Comment

2. John Coady?

Comment

Both correct

Comment

3. David Speedie?

Comment

Not Speedie

Comment

Is 3 David Hirst

Comment

No 5 is Fabregas, right?

Comment

Not Hirst. Description is right

Comment

Er Cesc that is

Comment

3. Colin Wanker and 4. Rafa the Gaffer?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                        Not Hirst. Description is right
                        So there was more than one Chelsea transfer targets in the early 1990s who's mother in law owned a greengrocers in Barnsley?

God I miss old football.

Comment

To be honest there weren't that many Chelsea transfer targets in the early-90s of any description.

Comment

NS cleans up. And for your bonus

6 Studying French and German at Birmingham Uni (1982)

Comment

Didier Six?

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                To be honest there weren't that many Chelsea transfer targets in the early-90s of any description.
                                Spent it all on Robert Fleck, didn't you? Which Robert Chase in turn used to buy a nice carpet for his office.

Comment

Ha ha maîs non

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                    Spent it all on Robert Fleck, didn't you? Which Robert Chase in turn used to buy a nice carpet for his office.
                                    Pretty much. Apparently Chelsea and Spurs came to a gentlemen's agreement: they wouldn't compete with us for Fleck's signature and we wouldn't get in the way of their pursuit of Teddy Sheringham.

That worked out well for us.

Comment

FWIW Fleck himself said he never had any interest in joining Spurs. Oh. That makes it worse, doesn't it.

Comment

Then when Chelsea came to Carrow Road in August it had been agreed as part of the deal that Fleck wouldn't play. And his replacement pulled off the cheeky winner here:

Last edited by Kevin S; 07-01-2019, 16:10.

Comment

Hah! TBH we could have signed Marco van Basten and he would have flopped at the Bridge. We're a strikers' graveyard.

By my count it's about one success for every three failures since the start of the 90s.
                                          Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 07-01-2019, 18:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                            Then when Chelsea came to Carrow Road in August it had been agreed as part of the deal that Fleck wouldn't play. And his replacement pulled off the cheeky winner here:

Worth showing that clip to TAB the next time he opines that games are much quicker these days.

I remember the game when Fleck first caught the club's attention. Very early 90s, he scored two goals, one an absolute cracker, in an easy 3-0 win at the Bridge. A ho-hum sort of day as I looked on from the Shed.

Comment

Here we go. Last goal:

Comment

Final reluctant Shed-ender: Alan Smith

Comment

Nice find! Little me wanted to vote for that as Goal of the Month. Dad let me call but when the line was answered I panicked and hung up. Dad wasn't pleased - those calls weren't cheap back then.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X