Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smallest Stadium ever to host an International Match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallest Stadium ever to host an International Match?

Sticking to just Europe- San Marino, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg are respectable to visit; Faroes, Andorra and Gib look decent enough on TV. Next time part of Windsor Park falls into a sinkhole NI might have to use Glenavon (3-sided, with an impressive Safe in the Arms of Jesus billboard in the remaining space), Ballymena (main use- monster tractor racing) or if we're really desperate the Bogside Superbowl...

For the specific self-set question of home games of the England (Men's) first team in the modern era, I'd guess Portman Road.

Comment

LFF Stadium has a capacity of 5067 and has hosted men's and women's full internationals for Lithuania.

Comment

Gundadalur (Faroes) is 5000.

Comment

Bosnia and Herzegovina played women's World Cup Qualifiers at their FA Training Centre. Not sure if that qualifies as a stadium?

Comment

Newport Stadium - 5058 for Wales women.

Comment

Got it down to 3000. Minsk Stadium hosted Belarus's home matches for the 2019 women's World Cup Qualifiers.

Comment

NTC Senec has hosted one men's and several women's internationals for Slovakia. Capacity 3264.

Comment

And if men are not mandatory, we can go smaller still.

NI's Shamrock Park, 2770.
                  Hungary's Balmazújvárosi Városi Sportpálya, 2435.
                  Slovenia's Ajdovščina Stadium, 1705.
                  Moldova's Stadionul CPSM, 1000 (part of the FA HQ)

All used for WWC 2019Qs.
                  Last edited by Kevin S; 07-01-2019, 11:05.

Comment

Here's the highlights of the Slovenia v Faroes WWCQ.

Comment

And happened upon a men's club game at that ground where the opening goal is an absolute thronker. Worth a click.

Comment

Andorra, maybe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadi_Nacional

Comment

Depending on definitions of an "international match" I'm guessing some of the members of CONIFA play in very small stadia. The home ground of Székely Land for example, here, holds 1200

Comment

Thought you might mention them. S-Land may have a slightly better claim than those Magyar-speaking Ukrainian lads who played in the North London tournament last term.

On a slightly related theme, does Orban Viktor still have that pop up stadium in his home village by Lake Balaton? Obviously he's a nasty piece of work, but the idea of a populist dictator sitting in his pants watching mediocre football all day has some comedy potential

Comment

Not sure I'd call it a pop up stadium. It's very much a permanent fixture in Felcsut (not especially close to Balaton) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancho_Ar%C3%A9na

Comment

Actually i see from that wiki page, it has hosted an international match so perhaps does belong on this thread. Bulgaria vs Kazakhstan, bizarrely. I have no idea how, or why, that came about. Stadium's capacity is 3816 so it doesn't win the thread, but the population of the village it is in is only 1700 which must be close to a record for a place hosting an international match
                                Last edited by ad hoc; 07-01-2019, 12:55.

Comment

Apologies to the Pancho Arena. The international AH mentions was coincidentally on my birthday last year

I imagine the game happened because Vik wanted a confab with his fellow head honchos in Almaty and/ or Sofia...

All that said, club tenants Puskas Akademia attracted 120 spectators for a Hungarian D1 game earlier this term
                                  Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 07-01-2019, 13:01.

Comment

In 1898 Wales played an international at The Oval in Llandudno, which is a cricket ground. It's still there. There are no 'stands' or supporter areas looking at it on Google satellite. Could well have been a big crowd there for the game of course but I can't find an official capacity for the venue.

Comment

Working...
                                    X