Biggest stadium never to host an international match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest stadium never to host an international match

Biggest stadium never to host an international match...no idea...can you help?

If we are going by current official capacity, the May Day Stadium in Pyongyang (c. 115,000).

If by reported attendance, then the 200,000 at the Maracana for the last game of the 1950 World Cup.

Comment

Thank you sir, but the question was the biggest stadium (capacity) never (not yet, anyway) to host a match between two nations.

Comment

Michigan Stadium (aka The Big House) in Ann Arbor (115,109)

Comment

Thank you. Now for Europe and the rest of the world.

Comment

West Ham's?

Comment

If we're including non-football specific stadia, has Twickenham ever been used?

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                West Ham's?
                England played Australia there back in 2003.
                Last edited by Sporting; 06-01-2019, 18:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Gawpus View Post
                  If we're including non-football specific stadia, has Twickenham ever been used?
                  I was thinking about grounds which have been used, even occasionally, for football matches, but a good shout nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                    England played Australia there back in 2003.
                    At Upton Park.

Comment

Eden Gardens Calcutta had a capacity of 94,000 from 1987-2011.

Comment

Malaysia has some stadia that hold 70-80,000. I don’t know if they have all hosted internationals. I was going to say the Melbourne Cricket Ground, but Australia have played a couple of internationals there (it might be the largest outside NA with no league matches, though).

India has played quite a few internationals at Eden Gardens, which makes sense given that Kolkata is the capital of Indian football,

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                          At Upton Park.
                          Wasn't that the same stadium with a different name?

Comment

He means the Olympic Stadium.

Comment

Though that’s only got a circa 56-60,000 capacity for football.

Comment

Are the Olympics not “internationals” for the purposes of this question?

Comment

Any answers are of course more than acceptable!

Comment

Especially since I don't know the answers!

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Are the Olympics not “internationals” for the purposes of this question?
                                      I don’t know, I took it to mean football internationals. It’s certainly hosted Rugby and League internationals.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                        Wasn't that the same stadium with a different name?
                                        This is not my area of expertise and to pretend I know. Have a West Ham mate here, watched a game with him and he mentioned something about a new huge stadium during all the long balls straight over midfield.
                                        Looking it up, Upton Park capacity roughly 35,000.
                                        Funny thing (considering my other thread and question about nick names) it’s called Boleyn Ground after (possibly) Anne Bolleyn.
                                        West Ham’s new London Stadium has a capacity of 60,000.
                                        Surely there must have been an international game played there?

Comment

To clarify: I assume PPV meant West Ham's current ground. I don't know if any internationals have been held there.

Not to be confused with the West Ham Stadium, where West Ham didn't play, then or now. But with a capacity of 120,000 (and a time machine) it might meet PPV's requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            Though that’s only got a circa 56-60,000 capacity for football.
                                            Poor bastards.
                                            Imagine you're one of 15 London sides in the top tier and the only thing you can cram in is 60,000 people.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                              To clarify: I assume PPV meant West Ham's current ground. I don't know if any internationals have been held there.
                                              Yes, that's what I meant. But checking the question again I messed up. My brain complicated it. I started to think "clubs and their stadiums and the one with biggest capacity not hosting an international game"

And I presume international means national teams, not EL or CL.

Comment

Yes, national teams.

Comment

If we're sticking to football stadiums used by football clubs but never used to host a full international perhaps The Valley is up there... caopacity was 70,000 odd back in t'day

Comment

Working...
                                                  X