Asian Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian Cup 2019

This kicked off yesterday with hosts UAE drawing 1-1 with Bahrain. Day 2 has got off to a very surprising start with holders Australia losing 1-0 to Jordan.

There are 2 more games today: Thailand vs India (currently standing at 0-0 after 11 minutes) , and later Syria vs Palestine.

Like every fucking tournament these days this has fallen victim to the desperate urge to expand, with there now being 24 teams in 6 groups of 4

Thailand 1 India 4

Has the ISL made a difference to the quality of the national team? That seems like a good win for India. They have to play UAE and Bahrain in the group which will be presumably much more of a challenge, but 4 third place teams go through too.

Comment

Despite the dilution, the group draw threw up a quite tasty tie in Iran - Iraq. The rest of the tournament is likely to become interesting only from the quarter finals on.

Comment

Something's going on with India.

I’m fortunate enough to have managed establish a proper Milan Club in Sweden with well over a thousand of us gathering in Sweden alone for all sort of things. We’ve had problems connecting with AIMC (the crap supposed to be the official connecting us but they just grab the membership money then don’t do a thing), so I threw out a Milan United, for us English speaking clubs and those at the core, and have connected with those managing Milan Club India, Malaysia, Melbourne, Sydney, Switzerland, Croatia, Ireland, London, Nottingham, Toronto, New York, Brazil, San Fran, Montreal.

It has been brilliant. And the best part of it, to learn from them about what’s going on locally. Milan Club India have shared quite a lot past twelve months that something completely new is going on with their national side.

It’s a totally different vibe around it. Both in the side, and how teve over there is focusing on football. This year, one of their biggest stations started to send Seria A. Some of the ones I got to learn were on telly ahead of games.

Are India the only nation to bail out from a football World Cup (because they were not allowed to play barefoot)?

And imagine now how the tide could change. For us to see India in the next world cup? It would be about time! Who wouldn’t love that?

Comment

Any of this tournament viewable to UK folk anywhere?

Comment

I've been catching up with the highlights of this. There was a real Gazetta Football Italia vibe today as Marcello Lippi's China beat Sven's Philippines. There appeared to be plenty of travelling Chinese fans at the game.

Quite a few of the other games appear to be being played in half empty stadiums, including the India games. I am a bit surprised given the numbers of Indians working in the area that they don't seem to have much support.

Australia v Palestine today was said to be a sell out (although there were a number of empty seats). Australia back on track after their defeat to Jordan and the 24 team format means one win is probably enough to qualify for the knockout stages.

Comment

Weren't North Korea supposed to be relatively good at this? North Korea 0-6 Qatar is an interesting result.

Comment

They haven’t been good for a while, but the wheels have really come off.

Their two matches before this were 4-0 defeats to Bahrain and the Saudis. Their only wins in 2018 were against Tapei, Hong Kong and Mongolia.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                  Are India the only nation to bail out from a football World Cup (because they were not allowed to play barefoot)?
                  Reality was litlle bit different - they thought that travel expenses are too much (and they didn't know that travel expenses are provided by organizers). Also they didn't give a shit about World cup - they thought that Olympics are much cooler. About barefoot was pretence not cause.

Comment

If this is already on the go, how come Son was playing against man utd yesterday?

The lack of respect being displayed by these big clubs to a major International tournament like this is a disgrace. I for one hope that South Korea are able to overcome this, and go all the way in this tournament.

Comment

As South Korea just needed to beat the Phillipines to reach the last 16 from their group, one assumes Son (who is their captain) will now join them for the knockout phase.

Comment

Bah, how many bleedin' tournaments do Korea need to play in one (British) season, eh?

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                        Any of this tournament viewable to UK folk anywhere?
                        No, basically. The BBC could have put in a bid, but didn't.

Comment

The AFC are pretty quick at getting two minute highlights of games up on their YouTube channel.

I can't see India getting near the World Cup any time soon, if they can't get out of their group in a 24 team tournament. An injury time penalty knocked them out yesterday. Despite that first game win they finished bottom of their group.

In a tournament with sparsely populated stadiums, North Korea v Qatar looked especially empty, the official attendance was 452. Even for the UAE's own game yesterday the stadium was only two thirds full.

Comment

Son helped South Korea to a 2-0 win over China to top their group. Korean goalkeeper Kim, lined up behind a back four of Kim, Kim, Kim and Kim.

Comment

Vietnam's progress continues to the quarter-finals after beating Jordan on pens. Their best showing since they reached the same stage as hosts in 2007. I've never been to Vietnam but I believe it's football mad, so maybe this could be the beginnings of a new powerhouse in Asian football.
                              Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 20-01-2019, 16:32.

Comment

Vietnam got to the final of last year's Asian under 23 championships - I remember seeing pictures of huge crowds in the country coming out to watch the matches on big screens.

Comment

Yes I'm not really sure that Vietnam is football crazy in the way that might lead to an upsurge in the fortunes of the national team. Like all nations in that area they watch a fair amount of the Premier League, but crowds at domestic fixtures are pretty small and I don't see loads of kids playing on the streets or in parks. I think the excitement engendered by the U23 team was as much about national pride as it was about football per se

Comment

Defeats for South Korea and Australia in the quarter-finals earlier. Their conquerors UAE and Qatar will now meet in the second semi. The top half of the draw has gone more to form, with Iran and Japan through.

Comment

I really should have more interest in the Australian team after all this time. See also cricket.

Comment

Qatar and Japan are going to be in the Copa America, ffs:

https://www.goal.com/en/news/copa-am...m1aqsfzidcq8a7

Comment

Oh what's the bloody point?

Comment

Japan beat Iran 3-0 in the first semi-final.

The first goal was very odd. The Japanese forward Minamino went down on the edge of the area (rather easily) under a challenge. All the Iranian players seemed to stop as if expecting a free kick and headed towards the referee. Minamino got up retrieved the ball and crossed for Osako to score whilst the Iran defenders were all out of position.

Comment

I don’t recall ever having seen a goal quite like that one before.

May it serve as a warning to those whose reflex is to Mob the referee after any foul.

Comment

Strewth, that Japan penalty was a soft one. Reviewed by VAR too.

Comment

The final's this afternoon - Japan v Qatar. 6pm local, 2pm GMT. Interesting to see if Qatar win an Asian Cup (they've never previously reached the semis) just as their preperations for hosting the World Cup ramp up. They'll qualify for the Confed Cup if they do, which otherwise they won't be in (it will be held elsewhere in Asia in June 2021 as Qatar is, er, a bit hot).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X