Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Thompson

Died today aged 76.

You'd have to be into your 60s to remember him. A brilliant winger and a vital part of two championship winning teams plus an FA Cup win under Shankly.

One of my first heroes along with St John and Hunt. I even used to take the train up to Bolton occasionally to see him in the second division.

Rest easy bud.

How come I think I remember him? I'm only 51 and 5/6ths.

Comment

Hmmm...maybe I remember people talking about him. Seems he wasn't a regular at Liverpool after 1971.

Comment

Carlisle lad, very well spoken of in these parts.

Comment

I think he was owner of a pub in Windermere a while back, Hare and Hounds maybe.

Comment

I’m pretty sure it was the Hare & Hounds, yes - in Bowland Bridge, just down below the famous Mason’s Arms.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
              Hmmm...maybe I remember people talking about him. Seems he wasn't a regular at Liverpool after 1971.
              I thought I knew him and, of course, I was confusing him with Phil Thompson.

Comment

He was in the England 1968 Euros squad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...squads#England

He made the final 28 of Ramsey's 1966 World Cup squad but did not make the 22:

http://www.englandfootballonline.com...1966Squad.html

Also made the provisional squads in 1962 and 1970.

Comment

He gets a mention in Brian Glanville's novel Goalkeepers Are Different, but he would have left Liverpool by the time the book was published. That's why I associate him with Clemence, Heighway etc, the players I actually did see, even if they barely overlapped.

Two league titles, but 1% of the fame of some winless wonders.

Comment

In the week leading up to the 1971 FA Cup final there was some doubt about whether Liverpool would pick Brian Hall or Peter Thompson in their starting 11. The Liverpool Echo had a phone-in thingy where people could ring in and choose who they wanted to play. A friend of mine chose Hall; I picked Thompson. As if the Echo was going to persuade Shankly one way or the other! Anyway, Hall got the start and as we all know Arsenal won.

Comment

Newcastle had one of those never again FA cup epics against Bolton in 1976-3 games to establish last man standing. Thompson still stood out especially in the game at SJP. Think he actually missed the decider at Elland Rd. Another never again nearly 140,000 fans watched 3 games one of which on neutral ground.

Comment

I watched the game at Bolton only the other night. Cracking right-footer from Macdonald.

Comment

As mentioned Carlisle lad. Wonderful winger I am told. RIP Peter

Comment

Working...
                          X