No announcement yet.

"Since the Premiership began" bullshit bingo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to reminisce about the half-time alphabet scores...

Comment

It is always time to reminisce about the half-time alphabet scores

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        Realise I misunderstood the question. Not sponsors of the top flight post 1992, but sponsors of it pre 1992, I now realise is the question.

In which case I have no idea
        Canon? Even gave out their own trophy.

Comment

Yes, Canon were mentioned in tee rex's original question

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
            Today newspaper?
            Yes, it was the Today League for one season: 1986-87.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              I know Rumbelows sponsored the League Cup for a while. Did they go on to sponsor the league?
              Wasn’t the Rumbelows strap line ‘We save you money and serve you right...’?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                Time to reminisce about the half-time alphabet scores...
                Have we had a thread on that? A while back I saw a post (another forum, sorry) where somebody had noticed the alphabets in old photos and wondered what they were for. People helpfully suggested lottery numbers, stand safety info, etc. Yep.

Comment

Here's better evidence of the Today League (really unhelpful name to Google, that one):

Comment

We definitely discussed the alphabet boards in one of the earlier incarnations of the site.

On the Today League, see also

Comment

I know Rumbelows sponsored the League Cup for a while. Did they go on to sponsor the league?
                      Littlewoods got in on the cup game as well. In fact sponsoring a football cup seems to be a real good indicator that your business is going to hell in a handcart. That energy drink thing hasn't got a hope.

Comment

Not as good an indicator as stadium naming rights.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                          Here's better evidence of the Today League (really unhelpful name to Google, that one):

Alex Ferguson's first season in charge, that. Nowadays they'd have sacked him.

Comment

I don't know about that. He at least got the league to put their name in capital letters apparently.

Comment

I was surprised not to see Conseco in that top 10. My Indiana bias showing up there.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                Yes, Canon were mentioned in tee rex's original question
                                Serves me right to skim read.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Just trying to imagine any team winning the title with eight defeats these days...

Comment

Sixth. Pretty cool, huh?

Comment

Wimbledon beat Liverpool at Anfield that year as well (you won't need me to remind you). Yet people persist in suggesting the following year's Cup Final was a seismic shock to compare with Sunderland beating Leeds.

Mind you, despite the oft spun line that "the big clubs" no longer care about the Cup, that's another thing that hasn't happened in the Premier League era. A proper good old-fashioned Cup Final upset. Except Wigan beating Man City I suppose and that one year when the final ended up Portsmouth-Cardiff, although the actual final didn't produce an upset.

Comment

Liverpool in 1988 were a different gravy, though - so Wimbledon winning it was always going to be viewed thus. ("It could be...ten-nil!" - Bob Wilson, BBC TV, 14/5/88, about 2.45pm.)

That was the best Liverpool side, IMO - better than the 1979 vintage.

Comment

Eighteenth! Pretty cool, huh?

Comment

Let's just all call it the Prem, for simplicity's sake
                                            Let's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Mind you, despite the oft spun line that "the big clubs" no longer care about the Cup, that's another thing that hasn't happened in the Premier League era. A proper good old-fashioned Cup Final upset. Except Wigan beating Man City I suppose and that one year when the final ended up Portsmouth-Cardiff, although the actual final didn't produce an upset.

The big clubs win it without really going out all guns to win it...sometimes because it helps to semi-hide a poorish league campaign but usually because Man Utd B is better than, say, Sheffield Wednesday's first team.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Alex Ferguson's first season in charge, that. Nowadays they'd have sacked him.
                                                Except he took over a third of the way through the season, and they had already lost six of their first eight games.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                                  Enron? Barings? The South Sea Company?

I considered the pedantic thing about 'Premiership' as well, but at least in Bored's thread title it's actually fine, since he's clearly complaining about the idea that football began in 1992. That is, when they renamed the top division 'the Premiership'.
                                                  For extra pedant points, that's also not quite right either – in its inaugural season, 1992/93, it was just the FA Premier League, and only became the Carling Premiership in 93/94.

Comment

Ah in that case, Bored deserves hounding off the forum.

And why is Manchester United written in all caps on that Today league table?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X