Pripyat, Stacheldraht, Mart Poom, Oranjeboom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pripyat, Stacheldraht, Mart Poom, Oranjeboom

Yes, it's a DAF/ HMHB mashup to introduce Euro 2020 Qualifying Group C. Netherlands- NI has been confirmed for Feijenoord, so a possible jaunt on Stena HoekvanHolland may be planned. No word yet on a German venue, while the hardcore are already looking forward to Tallinn and Minsk. Baku and Bilbo here we come...

Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 07-12-2018, 12:30.

Right, we're off. Tallinn Tour Commemorative t-shirt at the ready (we never concede more than 4 when I've worn it). Only new face in an ageing Ultonia select is tyro Arsenal defender Daniel Ballard, while disappointingly Ollie Norwood misses out for personal reasons/ sunning himself in Valencia (delete to choice). Orange Blossom Coast over Orange Statelet. Bah.

Comment

Group C round-up

NIR 2-6
      de 1-3
      nl 2-3
      ee 1-0
      by 2-0

From the brief highlights and comments here it seems Netherlands could and maybe should have beaten Germany comfortably. Still, judging by the other 3 games it wouldn't be a great surprise if both the big 2 got 14-18 points against the makeweights. Both Estonia and Belarus were very unadventurous facing a NI side that had lost 7 of our last 8 qualifiers.

Next rounds in June

ee v nir
      by v de

by v nir
      de v ee

Comment

Busy week for Virgil Van Dijk. He's been renting Solskjaer's house in Cheshire, but La Di Da Gunnar's wife won't let him slum it in a hotel any longer

Comment

Ps Germany will host NI in Frankfurt Main Sentimental trip for me (last there in 1983)

Comment

Nations Schmucktions. The Balti Jaam session is where it's at, baby (OK, I'll be in Scarborough but bear with me).

Beleaguered supremo Mikey O'Neill will be aiming for at least 4 points to keep Van Dijk and co honest going into the Autumn games. Good luck in your 2 friendlies this week btw.

No real surprises in the NI squad. Norwood's out with a hernia, while the 4 (?) reserve centre backs have an average age of 31 (19,27,39,39).

Comment

Army Group Pripyat are en route (progressed so far to the 'Spoons at Schiphol- not sure if that's a joke or an abomination )

Comment

Wetherspoons are in Holland?

And what's the Chernobyl reference?

Comment

Seems he was exaggerating not joking- bar was Scruffy O'Murchu not Scruffier Tim.

Pripyat is a major River in Belarus before heading south to Chernobyl

Comment

Another impressive comeback by Mikey and the lads, even if Eesti were a tad unlucky- one disallowed when the keeper flapped, they hit the bar and our first deflected in via the offside Magennis's backside.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                      Seems he was exaggerating not joking- bar was Scruffy O'Murchu not Scruffier Tim.

Pripyat is a major River in Belarus before heading south to Chernobyl
                      And also the village that was famously abandoned in the aftermath.

Comment

Oh dear, I'm getting dizzy up here

Good thing games don't end after 75 minutes, we'd be effectively out of it with 5 points. These summer-season Baltic lads just can't match never-say-die Ultonian fitness levels, what?

The Belarusians having lost to Germany but with a spirited effort had clearly decided to use this one as a near-friendly preparation for their play off. Their fans anticipated this by staying at home

NIR 4-12
                        de 3-9
                        nl 2-3
                        by 4-0
                        ee 3-0

Comment

I think Netherlands v NI might be a virtual play-off for second given that Germany's win in the Netherlands has made them them strong favourites for top spot.

The Pripyat region is infamous for its marshes, in which the Nazis committed some of the earliest atrocities of the Holocaust the USSR in July-August 1941.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-06-2019, 12:18.

Comment

Apart from Germany, the Dutch have 2 other must win away games before Belfast. That creates pressure however weak the oppo

Comment

This year's cultural excursion is on- Rotterdam in October. We're staying by the Cool Haven round the corner from a mosque and the Bob Marley Weedcafe. Other Dutch cliches to follow when known

Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 26-06-2019, 09:55.

Comment

Ah, I see that DG is on holidays again and has replaced himself with his trusty random text bot.

Comment

You starting Mynheer? Leave the snides and hit me with those travel tips. Delft is a worthwhile excursion as I recall.

While you're in, have UEFA decided who'll use Dublin as a base when your rabble don't qualify?

Comment

Utrecht is my favourite town in the Netherlands. Leiden is also very nice. Delft is so so, not a big fan. The Esscher museum in Den Haag is good. They have one of those rooms with messed up perspective where you get to feel drunk without drinking. I imagine it is even better if visited drunk.

Antwerp also worth a visit if you can get a cheap ticket on the fast train. Only half hour from Rotterdam.

We're probably not gonna qualify. I think Mick will find it a bit harder without a world class centre midfielder to compensate for his shit management.
                                    Last edited by anton pulisov; 27-06-2019, 22:17.

Comment

Thanks AP. Probably try Den Haag as not visited before.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                        disappointingly Ollie Norwood misses out for personal reasons/ sunning himself in Valencia (delete to choice). Orange Blossom Coast over Orange Statelet. Bah
                                        To no-one's great surprise he's retired. Dropping straight back down with the Blunts more important than playing Germany and Netherlands for a place at Euro 2020 (not that one excludes the other, Billy Wilder is hardly going to sign Pogba or Coutinho to replace him)

Comment

Tbf, he was MOTM for Sheff. United yesterday. That was probably something to do with it.

Comment

MON seems to have handled this pretty well and like you DG he points out that this is basically a rash and bad decision from the fella.

Mind you with McNair, Davis, Evans and Saville to compete with, Norwood was by no means an automatic pick.

Do the GAWA love Jamal Lewis yet? He's magnificent, isn't he.

Comment

KS: ageed about Norwood. If he'd waited until after the November games (by when realistically we'd have finished 3rd with at best a play off to look forward to), flouncing would have been more understandable. He'd still have got stick but only half-heartedly so and the management could have planned for the next WC qualifiers.

He was pretty key to our improvement since 2014 though- started every competitive game (29 in succession) between then and October last year. He's been either suspended, injured or sulking since...

Yes Lewis is very popular. I don't think we'll let him mark Van Dijk at set pieces though

Comment

End of an era for the Goaldrought Generation- Gareth McAuley has retired from the game (he turns 40 before Xmas).

Venue for pre-match culture/ refreshments in Rotterdam: 'Meatloaf* Bender' on the Oude Binnenweg. Probably tiny so could be a squeeze for 3500 strong Army Group Maas-Rijn...

* 'Sweetheart' acc to my limited Dutch. I'll do anything for metlief etc

Comment

Enjoyable mini-break to Rotterdam. Thanks for the concern earlier, clearly word had got back about my canalside tourism. Apart from checking out historic Delftshaven, we ended up on a walking tour of Europort en route to the Airport...

Table below. Minor positions pretty much sorted, though Germany will want to ensure they keep 11 men onfield against Belarus, while Fat Ron will need a win in Belfast to ensure first place and possibly finals seeding.

The pastry-faced supremo has been stirring it in his local media about negative NI are, maybe not the best tactic given the above. Don't expect any slag room met yer stroopwaffel big lad

nl 6-15
                                                  de 6-15
                                                  NI 6-12
                                                  by 7-4
                                                  ee 7-1

Comment

Working...
                                                  X