Ian Wright...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ian Wright...

has written a piece for the Players Tribune and he and his ghost writer have done a hell of a job

One of the few things my brother and I looked forward to in the house was Match of the Day, and my stepdad used to take that away from us — just because he could. Depending on what mood he was in, he’d come into the bedroom just before it started and he’d say, “Turn around. Turn around to the wall.”

We had to face the wall the whole time Match of the Day was on. And the really cruel thing was that we could still hear everything. It was awful. I would cry myself to sleep whenever he did it. Proper, big, blubbering tears. I remember Maurice would have to cover my ears so the football sounds would stop torturing me. He’d tried rocking me to calm me down, covering my ears. And then finally he’d do what all big brothers do, he’d shout, “Stop crying! Stop crying!”

You know when you’re crying and someone is telling you to stop? You end up making that choking noise that gets you in your chest and your throat. It sounds like you’re wheezing. Imagine that. It was so unnecessary. I carried that with me for years. Whenever I heard the Match of the Day theme music come on, I would feel that pain in my chest. And I’ll be honest with you, it still gets to me every now and again. The first time I went on the show as a presenter, Des Lynam walked up to me and said, “Ian Wright, welcome to Match of the Day.” I nearly broke down crying.

I told Des, “This is my Graceland.”

Sorry to be cynical but has he got a book due out?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
      Sorry to be cynical but has he got a book due out?
      I don't believe so, I suspect the brilliant piece in the Tribune was published to coincided with the documentary 'Out of our Skin' that was on ITV 4 this week about black player's experience of racism.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Nef, that's a hell of an article.

Comment

Reading it now. This bit made me giggle amid all the rest.

The funny thing about me is that while a lot of people consider me Arsenal born and bred, I’m actually a South Londoner. Woolwich to be exact.

I don't know. I think that makes you Mr Arsenal surely?

Comment

Great article which I've shared with many. Written in his voice too.

Comment

I had dinner with Ian Wright once, in Tirana. He was very good comapny.

Comment

I thought Ian Wright was fairly well known as a Millwall fan - I remember he was on Danny Baker's radio show and they were commiserating with one another about the latest setback.

Comment

I was struck by the way in which, to all intents and purposes, he was given no choice in his transfer from Palace to Arsenal.

Comment

Wow. Like a feature length treatment of that reunion with his old school teacher.

Comment

I may have said this before, but when Ian Wright wore a Celtic shirt, and you know, played for 45 seconds, it was the happiest day of my life. (Terms and conditions apply. Now, if David Wells...)

Comment

I just watched it, and felt every single second.

Comment

Working...
                        X