Breakfast Near Tiffany's - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rochdale 1-0 Accrington

Whilst not quite the proverbial game of two halves we did well to pick seats level with the penalty area defended by Rochdale in the first half. Accrington played all the football in the opening period and only a combination of wayward finishing and excellent goalkeeping kept the scores level at half time. 17 year old Dan Adshead - a scorer on his debut for England U18's a couple of weeks ago - was the solitary bright spot for Dale in a midfield which spent much of the half watching long balls sail harmlessly beyond them to where a big striker might at least have lent some meaning to such depressing tactics.

The introduction of said big striker, Calvin Andrew shortly after half time turned the game on its head. Accrington backed off in terror. The pressure mounted and finally led to a goal from a corner, Ian Henderson's 101st for the Dale. He would surely have scored many more if Keith Hill didn't persist with playing him as a wide midfielder where his talents are clearly wasted.

3 points and 2 happy children was what I'd asked for and on both counts the day was a success. I suspect it'll be a while before I next contribute to this thread though.
    Last edited by Artificial Hipster; 25-11-2018, 22:02. Reason: Ray's post below

Comment

Welling United 1-1 Dulwich Hamlet

"Welling won't be bothered, it's the facking cap" said the bloke in the micropub near the ground. He was kind of right, they were marginally the better team but a draw was a fair result in this moderate affair. Both goals came towards the end of the first half, Welling's from a fluke when a clearance bounced off the striker and looped in, then Dulwich equalised from a penalty before striking the bar with a free kick. Chances were at a premium in the second half and it was largely a midfield battle.

Welling's ground is a curio for those who haven't been. It's shared with Erith & Belvedere. Both clubs have their own entrances, signage, main stand and clubhouse, it's kind of as if they'd bolted two ground together. They didn't turn the floodlights on until 3.35 either, which was ridiculous considering how gloomy it was yesterday.

Did fifteen new Guide pubs across the weekend, plus a few revisits. Highlight of the newbies was the Southampton Arms in Kentish Town. The nearby Pineapple was also my first ever cashless pub. On the other hand the George & Dragon in Acton was atrocious, a candidate for "second worst pub in the Guide" (The worst being the Wetherspoons in Wrexham, which is somewhere no-one remotely civilised should have to experience)

Also noted how it's about a million degrees inside every building in London and yet there are loads of people wrapped up as if they're about to join Scott to the Antarctic. What do these people do when it actually gets cold?

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
        Rochdale 1-1 Accrington

3 points and 2 happy children was what I'd asked for and on both counts the day was a success. I suspect it'll be a while before I next contribute to this thread though.
        That last paragraph is very confusing until one checks the result and realises you’ve erroneously credited Accrington with a goal.

Comment

FIFTEEN Guide pubs? Crikey.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            That last paragraph is very confusing until one checks the result and realises you’ve erroneously credited Accrington with a goal.
            Well they did deserve one!

Comment

Lewisham Borough 3-0 Snodland Town

A fourth league win in five for Borough, although they made harder work than they should've done in finishing off bottom club Snodland. The visitors had at least three players older than me on the field, and one of them was sent off midway through the first half with the score at 1-0. "Yes, he was last man, and he took him out, but it was soft" I overheard a Snodland official say at the break. Borough had all the ball, but took until three minutes from time to double their lead with a lovely curling 30 yarder. They wrapped it up with a well-planted header from a corner in injury-time.

As a marker of how much of a corner Borough have turned, in three of the last four seasons, four wins was all they managed from a whole league campaign. In the other they only won two. Really pleased to see them finding some form to reward the perseverance of the club chairman; especially after they almost folded in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                Joey Barton sent Bobby Grant to train with the u18s in September.
                And now he’s sent him to Wrexham on loan.

Comment

Working...
                X