No announcement yet.

Club nicknames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, York is a big confectionery centre. Both Rowntrees and Terry's are/were York brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Uroš Predić View Post
      Not just the home of Parkinson's, but the home of all butterscotch. It was invented in the town. I tried to launch a campaign to get us known as the Butterscotch Men again through the fanzine. Sadly most folk weren't interested (in the campaign not the fanzine... although...). Anyway, turns out there's a stronger feeling that our nickname is The Vikings, because there's one on our crest and that time the club bought a job lot of Viking helmets and gave them out at Conference games. I'll try again in a year or two.
      Despite not being a fan of Doncaster, I am more than happy to support any campaign that results in someone getting the nickname The Butterscotch Men.

Comment

It certainly suggests some interesting colourways for change kits.

Comment

Also sounds like an entry in Urban Dictionary.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
            I like The Vikings nickname for Doncaster, surprised it hasn't really taken off.
            It's probably because it's rubbish and nobody can work out what on earth Doncaster has to do with Vikings.

The Kevin Keegans or The John Parrs (You Know, The Bloke Who Sang 'St Elmo's Fire')s would be more fitting.

Comment

The Directioners?

Comment

They should go with the Robin Hoods like they did with the airport and piss off Nottingham even more

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  The John Parrs (You Know, The Bloke Who Sang 'St Elmo's Fire')s would be more fitting.
                  John Parrs for goalposts?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    They should go with the Robin Hoods like they did with the airport and piss off Nottingham even more
                    Or if they just want to piss off EVERYONE, the Clarksons.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      John Parrs for goalposts?
                      Well I laughed.

I keep hearing and seeing the "Shrews" a lot more often then I should, like fucking never.

Salop it is and always should be.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                        Or if they just want to piss off EVERYONE, the Clarksons.
                        Come on now, we've suffered enough over the years without this.

Comment

Caversham United now want help picking a crest

https://twitter.com/CavershamUnited/status/1066812110976503808?s=19

https://twitter.com/CavershamUnited/...976503808?s=19

Comment

Has to be 3. Anything with an animal is good, and 2 resembles Köln’s goat. Caversham Bridge is boring.

Comment

I've read about three explanations of why Bolton care called 'The Trotters' and I'm still none the wiser.

Comment

I love 'The Shakers'. It comes from the 1892 Lancashire Cup final versus Blackburn when the chairman, JT Ingham, told the press before the game "We shall shake them. In fact, we are the Shakers".

Which makes it all the more frustrating that some of our younger fans now refer to us as 'The Shaggers'.

Comment

Really? I've always assumed that it was related to that religious sect who made furniture. They originated in Lancashire I think and I just assumed. This 19th century bantz explanation is far less interesting. Now someone is going to tell me Darlington are called the Quakers because of their tendency to visible fear

Comment

Working...
                                  X