No announcement yet.

Futbology, the app formerly known as Groundhopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations. I'm hoping to get to 200 this season.

Comment

Great effort RdG. I'm now 3 shy of the 200 so provided the NLS season limps on for a couple more months I should hit that target.

Comment

Hoping to get to 700 by Christmas, Think they'll all be English grounds unfortunately.

Comment

I got two badges at Hall Road Rangers on Saturday - 1250 grounds and competing Northern Counties East Division One.

Comment

I'm three completed divisions down from last season, I very much doubt I'll recomplete the Championship (Brentford) this season. I need Flint and Haverfordwest to redo the Cymru Premier, which is unlikely before March. I don't really want to do Haverfordwest on its own anyway.

Comment

Well done, both of you. Remarkable figures!

Comment

I can't help feeling they're both being a little ostentatious. In mean, who's counting?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  I can't help feeling they're both being a little ostentatious. In mean, who's counting?
                  I'm going to be very ostentatious when I reach 200.

Comment

Eastbourne Town yesterday took me to 250 recognised grounds in the app.

Were it not for the pandemic I'd have reached this number sometime back in March. As someone who doesn't drive, I don't really seek out new grounds to visit all that often these days, so I think reaching 300 is either unlikely or a lot of years away.

Comment

That's Xmas sorted then ;

https://twitter.com/stuarttree/status/1311287637601378306?s=21

Comment

As mentioned on the matchgoing thread.

It's only the second full division completed (well, since I've had the app - I'm pretty sure I've been to every ground in divisions before without counting/realising).

It may be some time before I compete another one as five of my next best six are currently behind closed doors and the sixth has Jersey "Bulls" in it.

Comment

Congrats, Ray

Comment

I've lost my only complete league when Brentford left Griffin Park.

They haven't taken away my badge and hopefully I'll get another one when I re-complete it.

Comment

I don't think they take badges away, but they presumably update them when you get them again.

Comment

Completing leagues isn't something I try and do; not least because I don't drive, and there'll always some daft outlying ground in the middle of nowhere (hello Lydd Town). That said, I did notice that at one point last season I was set to be only one ground (Middlesbrough) short of the full Championship... but then Covid-19 put paid to my trip to Swansea, Brentford moved grounds, and Rotherham got promoted.

Comment

No, completing a league hasn't ever been a real priority for me, at least not until I realise I'm a couple of grounds from doing so and then I think I may as well.

Even then my two completed divisions are my most locally-focussed ones in the Isthmian South Central and Combined Counties Premier with the Isthmian Premier my next most likely candidate.

I've never been particularly focussed on "Doing the '92" either (even when I was a more active away traveller with Cardiff), especially once it became 91 with the Franchise stealing a league place.

I'm quite surprised that I'm only three grounds each off completing the current PL and D2 but don't see me doing so any time soon.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-10-2020, 10:56.

Comment

Yes, other than the Championship, the only other league I could possibly complete this season is the East Midlands Counties League with three grounds missing.

Comment

I assume this is the best place to ask this question rather than start a new thread. What's the most games you guys have attended in a single year? My reading list in the past couple years has focused on books about people doing the 92 in one season or doing an entire league in a season. Most of the writers start to burn out pretty quickly, which becomes part of the narrative. When you had a year where you went to a lot of matches, did you dig it or feel burned out?

Because I'm in the US, I really don't have any comparison but when I travel, I try to see as many matches as I can. Obviously that's a short window. I think the best I did was 3 matches in a week a couple years back in England. I loved it, but there was certainly a holiday feel to the experience since I didn't have to go to an office the next day. Work was an academic conference.

Comment

Some of the dedicated folk on here like Southport Zeb and Merlin the happy pig go to hundreds of games a year.

Comment

Yeah, there'll be people here who top 200 a year - if you're prepared to drop low enough down the leagues then two games a day is possible most Saturdays during the regular season, and if you've time and money then you could travel during the UK off-season and visit countries with summer leagues.

My PB is 58 (across 6 countries) but football isn't my only sporting interest so there are usually some months where I've used all my disposable sports-watching budget up on a multi-day motorsport event and won't have any time or money left over for football.

Comment

I expect that I average around 70 games a season but, like TRL, I go to a lot of other sports too and would normally see around 50 other sporting events on top of that. Ironically, if this season carries on as it has I will probably have been to a record number of football games because there are so few other sports open to the public.

As for any risk of "burn out", quite the opposite. I know that the regular Tuesday/Saturday (and/or other days when I can) matches at the moment are providing an invaluable rhythm and structure to my week when little else does with my business and industry all but shut down by Covid. The four months of peak lockdown where I didn't see a single sporting event really highlighted how important that is to me.

I've got a busy enough family and social life but the punctuation to it of going to sport is vital, ever more so as I get older.
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-10-2020, 18:31.

Comment

I'll be having a minor celebration if I hit 100 grounds this season, not least as it'll mean football is still going on with fans allowed through Christmas.

I downloaded the app a few days ago and my current total is 82 although I was looking through my list over breakfast and suddenly realised, Coventry, I've missed Coventry! So there may still be others. Most grounds I ticked off by going through Rochdale's fixtures season by season. I also went to a few Man City away games in the late 80's/early 90's and have been to a fair few Norwich games in recent seasons with Mrs H. My current peregrinations around the NWCFL and NPL are the result of lockdown and having to WFH providing me with the impetus to do something I've been promising to do for years.

Where I struggled with completing my record was in recalling the dates of outliers such as a random visit to Loftus Road where the opponents were West Brom but I have no idea of the score - I had to guess at the year in the end. Hardest of all was identifying the solitary fixture I attended outside the UK at the De Meer Stadium, Amsterdam. I couldn't recall the opponents but fortunately the game was sufficiently memorable in that Ajax came back from 2 goals down at half time to win 3-2. Some extensive research pinned it down to a game against SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden in 1994.

Comment

Before lockdown came in I was on course to set a new personal record for games attended last season. I would have gone to over 40 games (which makes me a considerable lightweight compared to many on here) and I wasn't feeling close to burning out. Although I will admit to some stress associated with attending bigger games. For example the trip to Anfield in the cup took a bit of organising in terms of logistics and arranging work, and my brother and I were already having planning sessions regarding our subsequently lost trip to Hampden in the Euros.

I was pretty pleased with myself that I'd managed a game on all 5 Saturdays in February.

It feels like a lifetime ago. I've not watched a live match since the first weekend in March.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  It feels like a lifetime ago. I've not watched a live match since the first weekend in March.
                                                  Same here. I would have comfortably reached 40 with what I had planned for the first time in years. I was really getting back into it when lockdown came but haven't got going yet this season. I really admire the likes of Southport Zeb and Merlin the Happy Pig for the amount they do. If I do three or four on consecutive days I'm usually ready for a rest.

Comment

Haven't seen Zeb on our weekend match going threads for a couple of weeks now, hope he's ok and just keeping his head down whilst the Tier 3 local lockdown is in place. It's occurred to me that I might go against government advice and venture outside Merseyside for a match if these restrictions go on for many months, but I probably won't post about it on here if I do.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X