No announcement yet.

First Round Hat Trick, Magic Of The Cup Weekend Matchgoing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I played at their ground this summer in a Kurdish Martyrs Solidarity tournament. We lost every game but won a prize because we'd come all the way down from Manchester. My mate broke his arm diving because he'd miscontrolled the ball into touch and was trying to blame the defender. Ace.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
      I played at their ground this summer in a Kurdish Martyrs Solidarity tournament. We lost every game but won a prize because we'd come all the way down from Manchester. My mate broke his arm diving because he'd miscontrolled the ball into touch and was trying to blame the defender. Ace.
      I thought that was at the New River Stadium (i.e. the other ground at White Hart Lane and home of Park View FC of the SSML)?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
        They used to have a massive Sunday market in the stadium back in the day.
        It's still there. There was a thing on the BBC about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45994715

Just watching the game on iPlayer. Still mystified as to why the ref allowed a Wimbledon player to body-slam Joe Staunton into a fence five minutes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
          I thought that was at the New River Stadium (i.e. the other ground at White Hart Lane and home of Park View FC of the SSML)?
          It might have been. But a quick google of the ground looked familiar, and as it was astro turf I just assumed.

Comment

There is a big astroturf pitch at New River stadium.
            There are (or were) also a number of football and rugby pitches on the hill overlooking the athletics track. It runs in parallel with white hart Lane as is opposite the school.

Comment

Bollocks. The game I wimped out on finished 6-3.

Comment

Marine 1-1 Gainsborough Trinity

Decent game with plenty of chances at both ends. Gainsborough keeper was excellent, beaten only by a cracking dipping shot from outside the box by Marine's James Joyce. On inspection of the programme it seems the keeper is on loan from Sheff U and was capped by England at u17 level last summer - on this showing he'll be playing at a much higher level than tier 7 before very long.

One player who might be more suited to a long career in the NPL is Joe Maguire, brother of Harry. To be fair, he had a solid game, but his best moment came when he needed to knock the ball back to the touchline for a throw in to be taken, and he managed to somehow boot it over a 20 foot fence into someone's garden.

Comment

Tbf it's possible to trap a ball into someones back garden at Marine. I was 50-50 to go to that game, put of by a dire weather forecast that turned out to be bullshit. Hey ho, good to see James Joyce on the scoresheet.

Comment

Talking of first round hat-tricks, Oxford City drew 3-3 away at Tranmere Rovers with a hat-trick from Kabongo Tshimanga. Tranmere equalised in the last minute of normal time. I didn't go, though,
                    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 10-11-2018, 22:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      You have to presume that Man City called it The Tunnel Club as a deliberate reference to ‘American Psycho’, it’s very them.
                      Both are actually named after the comedy club in Greenwich, trivia fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                        I should be going to Wealdstone v Bath City, but I may go to Rayners Lane v Risborough Rangers instead. Especially if it's not raining. And if I do, hopefully the Lane will spell the away team's name correctly...
                        Which one did you go to in the end, GO? Trying to find out what the bloody hell went on at Grosvenor Vale.

Comment

Eintracht v Schalke tonight. Forecast 1-1, which is quite optimistic for me. Given Eintracht's form, I should be even more optimistic, but the thought of optimism just makes me pessimistic.

Comment

England 0-2 Sweden

Oh dear. Both goals came in the first half hour, though Sweden should have scored after about 20 seconds. First goal was very poor defending as Jakobsson wandered unchallenged with the ball before shooting, then the second came when a corner wasn't cleared. England were poor, not much movement and poor decision making. Parris had a couple of chances second half then Sweden controlled proceedings and the game petered out.

Always feels a bit weird going to big football and having things like an assigned seat and being sat some distance from the officials and a replay screen and a pitch that looks like a carpet. Tickets for this had completely sold out, though there were a lot of unoccupied seats and the reported attendance only about 80% of the ground capacity. They'd also put a flag on everyone's seat, which being single use plastic will all end up in the oceans. The FA; turtle killers.

Comment

Metropolitan Police 0 Newport County 2

The Met gave Newport a damn good game but once the second of the visitors two goals either side of half time went in the match was effectively over.

They handled the 1000+ crowd well and did themselves some good with locals but I don’t think they’ll ever be accepted as a real club, much as it’s always pleasant to visit there (apart from when they ban Clapton supporters).

Those who mocked my £20 grandstand tickets would have understood their value given the biblical rainstorm the match was played in. I don’t think I could have stood being drenched at a game twice in 24 hours.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-11-2018, 12:54.

Comment

Went to two games yesterday and saw (I think) 23 goals. First up was the top of the table clash in Division Two of the Merseyside Christian League. Hosts Bankhall Mission were clear favourites, entering the game with a 100% record and goal difference of +31. Visitors Alder RYMFC, despite being second in the league, started eight points behind and with a goal difference of 0. The first half went largely to expectations, with Bankhall taking a commanding 4-1 lead at half time. They hosts continued their good form up front in the second half, but were a bit more accommodating at the back; having to change the keeper didn't help. I think it finished 8-4 to Bankhall, but am waiting for the league website to be updated for confirmation.

The second game of the day almost matched the first, finishing Parklands 8-3 Penlake. This was a Warrington & District League game, played at a school in Widnes. I'm fairly sure that the Penlake keeper doesn't regularly play there as he was very poor on any chances that didn't go straight to him. The Parklands players realised this fairly quickly and four or five of their goals were efforts into the corners of the goal from thirty or forty metres out. One of the Penlake winners appeared to be modelling his hair on peak-Michael Bolton.

Comment

That was the most fun I've had at football for years. It was all going as expected when we conceded early, announced over the tannoy as a hubristic "Yeovil's opening goal". But the torrential rain and hail that started after half an hour sparked a change in the away section, as many of the singers escaped from the uncovered terrace to join us under the roof in the seats, but also those who chose to stay drenched bouncing around on the terrace increased the noise level, so the atmosphere picked up in both sections, and we scored twice in five minutes shortly after that and the singing carried on all game.

As we naturally began to sit back, we took Matty Warburton off which I thought was a poor decision as he was the only player who could make anything stick up front, but what do I know as three minutes later his replacement Frank Mulhern was walking the ball into an open goal for the third after a mix-up, he was celebrating before he'd tapped the ball in which was excruciating, even with nobody near him I thought he was going to trip over his shoelaces or air-kick it and fall on his face.

This is only the fourth time ever that we've beaten four teams in the FA Cup and the first since 1949/50. Shock of the round I think, and we deserved it too, the soaked pitch was not the leveler it might look as we generally passed round them.

Comment

Eintracht 3 Schalke 0

Turgid first half. Schalke looked like they'd come for a point (which is a compliment, I suppose) and effectively strangled the game and Frankfurt's much-lauded Magic Triangle of Jovic, Rebic and Haller. Took an hour for Frankfurt to get a shot on target, which they did on the break after Embolo screwed up Schalke's best chance of the night. It was Rebic to Jovic, of course. Schalke then had to do something to get a point, but had no idea what. Frankfurt exploited the sudden space. Rebic hit the post, then Kostic crossed for Jovic's sugar-soaked second from around the penalty spot, and Haller finished things off after an amateurish scramble following a corner.

Jovic is the BL's top scorer with nine, Haller second with eight, and Rebic is just hot-wired right now. We are fourth and above Bayern and top of our Europa League group. Might as well enjoy it (and we did), before some rich bastarding oil-backed clubs come in and buys all the talent away.

Comment

Weston-super-Mare 0 Wrexham 2

Weston's best chance came in the opening minutes where their striker blazed over the bar with the goal at his mercy after Wrexham's defence had all elaborately failed to deal with a pull back.

They enjoyed lots of attacking play in the first half but very little in terms of end product. More than once they appeared to be through only to be denied by a last ditch tackle.

After half time Wrexham turned the screw and their pressure forced a defensive error which Luke Summerfield gratefully capitalised on. Weston looked to respond but Wrexham were well on top. With ten to go Stuart Beavon got a second go after the keeper parried his shot and volleyed in the bottom corner to make it game over.

Comment

Manchester City 3-1 Manchester United

Not just a defeat for United, Mourinho and the fans, but also for all the work that Amnesty International do. Pep Guardiola dancing on the graves of slave labourers as Raheem Sterling and Leroy Sane danced around the legs of whichever dickhead was in defence this week. FC United have started winning. Might find some excuse to like them again for a bit.
                                        Last edited by EIM; 12-11-2018, 01:30.

Comment

Kevin Anderson vs Dominic Thiem
                                          Decent game of Tennis, with both power and also a significant amount of finesse. Anderson occasionally serves and volleys, which is not typical in this day and age, and for a 6'6" his low volleying skills (and movement) are superb. He is more than just a guy with a big serve, he is what he has clearly been for the past two years, a genuine top 10 player who has one particular extra special weapon in amongst a generally good game. As for Thiem, he played well enough, and the second set going to a tie-break was about right as there was nothing to chose between the two in level over that run of games. However in set one Anderson was clearly ahead of him and therefore the right result was reached in the end.

Anyway, my reason for going on this thread is to say the journey home was slightly spoiled by a vast crowd of red-clad people pilling on to the train at Finsbury Park, making it sweaty and uncomfortable for all (it was already pretty full when leaving Kings Cross). They must have been watching some other, less interesting, sporting contest of other. Must learn to check the timings of these fripperies next time around...
                                          Last edited by Janik; 11-11-2018, 22:10.

Comment

She’s going to be disappointed in you for that, EIM

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              Bollocks. The game I wimped out on finished 6-3.
                                              And the ones that I neshed out of finished 3-3 and 4-0 respectively...

Comment

Haringey 4 - 0 Tonbridge Angels

Watched Haringey Borough kicking the cat this evening after Friday night's frustration. The cat in question was Tonbridge Angels, who sat second in the league on goal difference, and who looked decent enough, but came across a Haringey side who looked well-drilled, purposeful and hungry (as they've so often not this season) and got a proper pasting.

Comment

Hampton & Richmond Borough 1 Oldham Athletic 2

So no upset for me in my three games this weekend, though this was the only tie I unambivalently wanted one.The Beavers suffered the second cruel late exit for non-league hosts I’ve witness this round, finally going behind in the 95th minute.

The equaliser will be the one they rue the most though, fluffing an attacking free kick in the 88th minute and having too many men committed forward to cover the counter attack. It’s never good to see opponents outpacing a team the length of the pitch but when the ref manages it too I part-timers’ relative lack of fitness really shows.

I’m sure Oldham will point to the soft penalty decision Hampton took the lead from and the sheer number of chances they created (forcing the hosts’ keeper and defenders in to ever more miraculous blocks) as evidence that they deserved the win but it was a very harsh finale.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X