Fireworks or Damp Squibs - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireworks or Damp Squibs - Weekend Matchgoing

Wimbledon v Shrewsbury for me and a basement battle between beleaguered bosses.

Christ, I could do with seeing my first Dons win of the season.

Wembley v Cockfosters; another relegation battle. And I could do with the Lions' first home win of the season...

Comment

Lincoln v FGR - Not looking forward to this after recent matches, however i'm hoping that both Freck and Eardley are passed fit. Would be lovely to win 4-0 to wipe the smug look of Mark Cooper's face but I very much doubt that will happen. Seen FGR's style be described by their local press as 'tiki-taka', so lord knows whether Lincoln will see any of the ball. Oh god, they're gonna thump us aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        Wimbledon v Shrewsbury for me and a basement battle between beleaguered bosses.

Christ, I could do with seeing my first Dons win of the season.
        I rather think you might.

I'm planning to see Barry Town take on Llandudno on Sunday. It's the last of this weekend's round of WPL matches to be played so if Aberystyth can stick on one TNS and Connah's Quay drop points as well, the team will go out knowing that a win could take Barry top of the table. They have a 100 per cent home record this year.

Also a possible game tonight as my friend who plays in the Welsh League is in action up in Goytre. But I need to check with Mrs Thistle, as other stuff that's happened this week means she might want us to do something together and I don't think standing round in the cold at a random village's football ground will be high on her list of things to do.

Comment

Zilina vs Ruzomberok. In pyrotechnic terms, it's most likely to resemble one of those cheap Roman candles that fizzles out about as soon as it's lit.

It's a 1345 kick-off, which, together with the ridiculously mild weather we're having, will at least make for pleasant viewing conditions.

Comment

My weekend matchgoing these days mainly consists of going to watch my son play. Is anyone else here in this situation?

Comment

Macc away, which ordinarily I'd be looking forward to as there's some great pubs from station to ground. However, the tram between Bury and Manchester is out of action and I'm babysitting my godson that night so I'm passing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                My weekend matchgoing these days mainly consists of going to watch my son play. Is anyone else here in this situation?
                I thought children's/youth teams almost always play morning games, or is your son an adult? My daughters row which and races are normally on a Saturday afternoon and you can normally see them at one point on the course at best. It often takes some creative planning to fit a match around supporting them. My son's rugby or cricket is currently Sunday morning or sometimes Friday night so doesn't currently pose a problem.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-11-2018, 13:00.

Comment

Cheltenham v Mansfield

Kill me now.

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  Actually, I'll be seeing my 12 year old play at home on Sunday as well which I bloody love. Help set up the goals, and put the line of respect out. Run the line for a half (both if no-one else offers). It's a great time.

My 12 year old hates it, he doesn't really like football and has been badgering to quit for a while. As this is because he wants to live sat in front of a screen playing Xbox I currently insist on him playing to ensure he gets at least some exercise. We've agreed this will be his last season though, by which time, my 8 year old will have had nearly a whole year with his team.

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  I thought children's/youth teams almost always play morning games, or is your son an adult?
                  Different regions do different times for different age groups. Two years ago my son's team played in the Evesham League and they are exclusively Saturday mornings, last season they moved to the Cheltenham League who play on Saturday mornings up to Under 12s. This season they play on Sunday afternoons at 2pm.
                  Last edited by Simon G; 02-11-2018, 13:07.

Comment

My son is 14, nearly 15. As for when his team play their matches, it could be any time between 9 and 7 on either Saturday or Sunday, depending on availability of pitches. Many of these are council-owned, others belong to private clubs, but as these clubs have multiple teams, the timing of matches depends on various factors.

Comment

Mrs Thistle thinks it will do me good to get out tonight so I'm going to hopefully see Goytre end their four game losing streak in the league. Cwmbran Celtic are the opponents. They used to be a Catholic Church club originally and played in green and white hoops.

Comment

I'll be going to Bradford City v Portsmouth, bottom v top. I expect Portsmouth to win by at least 3.
                        My son plays for his under 13s on a Sunday morning and trains on a Saturday morning. He's very motivated and usually ready to go about 2 hours before we actually have to set off. I get more pleasure watching him play than City at the moment.

Comment

Charlton Athletic vs TheLikesOfDoncaster

Pie & mash, pubs and breweries in Deptford followed by my nearest Rovers fixture of the season at The Valley. Would be an ideal Saturday if Rovers didn't have a terrible record at Charlton. The one time we did manage to look anything like a football team there we raced into a three goal lead only for the match to be abandoned at half-time due to a water-logged pitch.

Comment

Live football for 2018 finished last night unfortunately, new season starts in February, the early G.A.A competition starts in January, so I'm out of here till then

Comment

Bye!

Comment

No football here until the CPL season rolls around in early 2019, so we're off to watch Halifax Mooseheads v. Moncton Wildcats in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (also featuring teams not based in Quebec....). It's 3rd v. 2nd in the Eastern Conference and they'll be expecting a near-capacity crowd of around 10,000, so should be a decent atmosphere.

Comment

X-Roads Warriors vs Dandy Town Hornets for me on Sunday. This fixture will see 2 kits rarely seen elsewhere I suspect - all dark purple vs all brown.

Comment

Not so much matchgoing, as match watching: the Gala v Fener derby just finished 2-2, after 6 minutes of injury time, and a massive stramash ensued, with one Fener player sprinting like fuck away from about 4 Gala players, and one irate sub.

Still being sorted out.

Riot police, stuff being thrown by fans... what's not to like?

Comment

Goytre FC 2 v 0 Cwmbran Celtic

Nice cold evening under the lights up in the wilds of Gwent. Goytre had an experienced fellow at number 9 who got his head on just about every ball all night, including a header to score in the 4th minute. The only other thing of note in the first half was Welsh League legend Nana Baah, now manager at Cwmbran Celtic, getting sent off for kicking an advertising hoarding in frustration.

My friend texted me to tell me he had just found out prior to kick off that he would be on the bench. His dad was also there to watch, so we stood together. Asked my friend at half time why he was dropped and he had no idea.

Second half Cwmbran came out to wrestle back the game. They had a few chances including a close range header that seemed to defy the law of physics to go wide. Then they got frustrated and kicky, and a guy got a straight red for a nasty challenge through the Goytre right back.

An extra man gave Goytre a bit more oomph. A few minutes from time their number 8 found some space and hammered home a cracking shot from just inside the area. There was still time for the most inept attempt at time wasting with a corner I've ever seen, after the big number 9 had his shot palmed onto the inside of the post and the ball looped back across the entire width of the goal and out.

Alongside the 1-11 numbering, OTF's football traditionalists will be pleased to know there was Bovril on offer in the clubhouse. And no hot Vimto.

And on the way home, BBC Wales informed me Aberystwyth had beaten TNS. Woohoo.
                                      Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 03-11-2018, 09:26.

Comment

Is that pronounced goiter?

Comment

Don't honestly know.

I pronounce it Goi-truh so you can hear the R.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            Alongside the 1-11 numbering, OTF's football traditionalists will be pleased to know there was Bovril on offer in the clubhouse.
                                            Ah, but did they also have pepper on offer to make it drinkable?

Comment

There was seasoning on a table alongside milk, sugar etc so I'm going to say yes. I don't drink powdered cow myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                There was seasoning on a table alongside milk, sugar etc so I'm going to say yes. I don't drink powdered cow myself.
                                                Was that how they made 'beef tea'?

Comment

Apropos of nothing, Mrs Flibl used to think the phrase was "damp squid".

Comment

Working...
                                                  X