No announcement yet.

Fireworks or Damp Squibs - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First game in ages for me today - Cambridge City versus Aylesbury. Its 4th versus 18th but City's legendary inability to defend means it may not be as clear cut as some would hope. At least its dry and warm.

Comment

Wembley take the lead as I'm texting a friend who's at Clapton CFC...

Comment

Fuck up in the Cockfosters' defence leads to an injured Wembley centre forward and a second goal...

Comment

Pently for Cockfosters.

Comment

Saved, but the rebound is easily scored. 2-1.

Comment

Currently at Leverkusen-Hoffenheim, and it's a thriller.

Comment

Own goal for Wembley's third.

Comment

Just realised that this is a Piccadilly line derby...

Comment

East Thurrock Utd 0-1 Truro City at halftime. An entertaining game so FAR, ETU are the better side but goals scored is all that counts.

Comment

Funny how cold it feels when the sun goes down...

Comment

Bloody cold here I know that. Nice sunset though.

Comment

Wembley get their first home win of the season. 3-1...

Comment

Finished 2-2. Really enjoyable game with chances going both ways, East Thurrock I thought were the better side. Burger was only £2.70 but the ground is just as ramshackle as it was ten years ago.

Comment

Went to the FA Vase match between Leicester Nirvana and Saffron Dynamo. I saw Nirvana a couple of years ago when they were sharing Highfield Rangers ground, but they have since moved to their own ground on the northern outskirts of the city. It's fairly basic and typical of many new grounds at this level.

Visitors Saffron Dynamo are one of the few step 7 clubs to reach this stage of the competition but gave Nirvana a decent game for the first half at least. However as the tie went on the home side's superiority grew and the took the lead early in the second half. From then on Saffron didn't offer a great deal going forward, with the main point to be decided being how many Nirvana would eventually get, with three goals being their final score.

Comment

Somewhere in the above post is a cracking European quarter-final.

Comment

I'll be disappointed if Saffron Dynamo aren't funded by special branch or mi5.

Comment

Haven't been to a game this weekend, but I'm amazed to see the cows-arse-failing-to-hit-with-a-banjo Southport side I saw last week have notched 4 (four) away from home today.

Comment

Bollocks. As I am keeping to only games I have paid for on my season ticket presently, I haven't seen a game in a month (and that was an FA cup game in thinking about so I paid extra for that). My wife was coming back from Italy, landing at 4pm and asked if I could pick her up from the airport. Well...I explained that it was the first game in...etc, etc. he must have missed me as I got away with that. I shouldn't have bothered. We always have interesting games with Hemel Hempstead and their garish green change kits (dayglo today) and this was no different in a frustrating manner. Hemel Hempstead have always played a decent standard of passing football and their very recent appointment of Oxford City's coach hasn't changed that. Both sides were somewhat hampered by the wind but it was a fairly well-played evenly matched game with Bath City having the slight upper hand in the first half but it did feel ominous when they didn't capitalise on this. To cut a long story short, the second half was similarly matched until the Hemel number 9 - who looked like a little old man but had been fairly dangerous all though the game - came up with one of the best goals I have seen at Twerton: a sort of tribute Gascoigne against Scotland. Irritatingly, our man of the match - easily - Adam Mann overthought a one-on-one with the goal keeper just beforehand and that proved to be the turning point. After this, it was just one of those games that you could see drift away from your team. Not disastrous in terms of the season with other results around us being kind but frustrating. Bollocks.

Comment

Had planned to tick off Hampton & Richmond Borough before hearing on the radio that England were playing South Africa at Twickenham, I don't pay much attention to Rugby. Anyway, that one can wait.

Ended up heading to Nottinghamshire to see Basford United beat North Ferriby United 4-2, the game took a while to get going, but once North Ferriby took the lead on half an hour it got going. Basford have a very tidy ground considering they played County League football less than 10 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          My weekend matchgoing these days mainly consists of going to watch my son play. Is anyone else here in this situation?
                                          I wish.

Comment

Not your son, you understand, my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin the happy pig View Post
                                              Had planned to tick off Hampton & Richmond Borough before hearing on the radio that England were playing South Africa at Twickenham, I don't pay much attention to Rugby. Anyway, that one can wait.
                                              You wouldn’t have had a problem, Hampton is a different train line to Twickenham and actually nowhere near Richmond itself. The only place you might have encountered a rugby crowd was at Waterloo and I went through there around 2pm today on the way to my game and it was quiet. All the rugby fans travel way before kick off to get bladdered near the ground.

If I haven’t assuaged your fears then avoid The Beavers on every Saturday in November as there are always Autumn internationals at Twickenham then apart from Rugby World Cup years.

Edit : Actually, you might have been driving - if so, ignore me.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ray de Galles;1489259

Edit : Actually, you might have been driving - if so, ignore me.[/QUOTE]

I was, H&R's website says it's pretty much street parking so I didn't want to risk it.

Comment

Well, there is a small car park behind one stand but the parking situation is no worse on a rugby match day, Twickenham itself is nearly five miles away from The Beveree.

Comment

Zilina 3 Ruzomberok 0

Curious game. Little happened in the first-half other than Zilina's first goal right at the end of it. Ruzomberok then utterly dominated the first 25-30 minutes of the second, but their finishing was hopeless. In the last 10 mins, Zilina said 'thanks very much' and added two more goals. Not a good day for the away teams in the Slovak league ; all six games finished as home wins with an overall score of 18-1.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X