Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerrard and Lampard

An excerpt from the Wing Commander:

Frank Lampard showed that it is possible to be there in spirit on the pitch, albeit actually being physically present on it ... As for the likes of Gerrard still being in the team year in, year out, like a 36th series of Antiques Roadshow, it fills you with the delightful, non-spirit crushing feeling that England, this middling England will never, ever, ever, ever, ever change. Ever. Not ever. Gerrard, Lampard, Gerrard, Lampard, Gerrard, Lampard. Left, right, left, right, boots marching on, stamping on human faces forever.

But I wasn't really thinking about them as players, rather pondering whether one or the other will prove to be a decent manager. Both have taken up the reins this season, as you know, with Gerrard managing Rangers and Lampard managing Derby. I haven't really kept tabs on how well Stevie G has been getting on in Glasgow but 'Lampard's Derby' are starting to play some really nice stuff. In recent Championship matches they've attempted to blitz the opposition, attacking like fanatics from the kick-off. Against Boro at the weekend though they only took one of the many chances they created in the first half and ended up throwing a couple of points away with an own goal later on.

Lampard's record so far is W9 D5 L4 (50%). Gerrard's is W12 D8 L3 (52%).

What do we reckon - is either of them destined for managerial greatness, or will they go the way of Roy Keane?

If either does, I would imagine it would be Lampard as he appears to be the more thoughtful student-of-the-game type that seems quite successful nowadays whereas Gerrard seems an oafish dullard. However, wasn't it Gerrard that rallied the troops at half-time at "That night in Istanbul" ™ and Rangers might react well to such blood and thunder rubbish and do well enough in the SPL and whatever European competition they get dumped out of. This is all based on nothing more than perception.

Comment

It totally depends on our expectations and criteria of success. They are doing better than the crap you may have expected but it's hardly "success" (Derby 6th, Rangers 5th). And still very early days obviously.

Comment

Gerrard showed nothing in his career that suggested he had a grip on tactical matters. He'll takeover from Klopp in a few years and will win Liverpool the Carabao Cup in his first few months before being sacked a year later. Lampard will do three years as manager then leave to become a Tory MP in a safe seat, before being named Minister for Transport in Boris Johnson's Shadow Cabinet. At some point they'll be made joint England managers, shunting a far more suitable candidate out of the way in the process.

Comment

EIM wins!

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
            shunting a far more suitable candidate out of the way in the process.
            You mean like when the press are clamouring for the FA to poach Ryan Giggs after Wales bring home the Euro 2020 trophy?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              You mean like when the press are clamouring for the FA to poach Ryan Giggs after Wales bring home the Euro 2020 trophy?
              After a solid if unspectacular showing for Wales, Giggs will be made Manager of Manchester United after Peter Lim, Gary Neville and the Class of 92 buy Manchester United. Giggs, with his tiny round dark eyes, will struggle to bring success back to the club, but will satisfy Manchester's sickening obsession with cultural nostalgia, something we used to laugh at Liverpool for.

Comment

Stevie Me is already referring himself in third person in Scottish media interviews.

Fatty Frank's infant daughter Patricia is already the proud owner of a Green and White Army babygro

Comment

It's only just occurred to me that if they had, in fact, ever formed a successful midfield partnership for England, we could have called them Gerrit and Lampit, in respect of what they were both best at. Oh well, too late now.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                    Lampard will do three years as manager then leave to become a Tory MP in a safe seat, before being named Minister for Transport in Boris Johnson's Shadow Cabinet. At some point they'll be made joint England managers, shunting a far more suitable candidate out of the way in the process.
                    Lampard and Johnson as joint England managers? Look forward to that.

Comment

A young Stevie G was regularly played off the park by a one legged and athritic Roy Keane.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        It's only just occurred to me that if they had, in fact, ever formed a successful midfield partnership for England, we could have called them Gerrit and Lampit, in respect of what they were both best at. Oh well, too late now.
                        Gerry Lumpit.

Comment

I was looking forward to them both dying on their arses managerially, but they've demonstrated my wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                            I was looking forward to them both dying on their arses managerially, but they've demonstrated my wrongness.
                            Hang on, still early days... plenty of time for it all to go completely and utterly Sherwood.

Comment

My new co-trainer on my U16 team is a young sports science student from Uzbekistan. Lovely bloke, great coach, but he's mad for Liverpool FC, and his lifetime's ambition is to get to Anfield some day. His favourite player of all time is S. Gerrard. He can not understand why I rate neither Gerrard nor Lampard (nor even Toni Kroos all that much). It's like I've told a Beatles fan that the Beatles are shit and I hate every single one of their songs because they can't write good melodies. So we have some interesting chats.

I should stress that I think all three are decent enough players, especially at club level, and that Kroos is definitely a class above his English counterparts (and for his position was one of the best in the world around 2010-14). It's just that I don't think there's anything outstanding about them, and that historically they merely rank alongside thousands of other hard-working, 5-yards-sideways-passing midfielders.

Comment

I thought this was quite impressive from Gerrard last week in looking after his player.

A reporter asked a young player who'd been injured a long time to comment on something the manager had said to provoke a reaction from his players. Gerrard jumped in and stopped him from having to answer it.

Last edited by Kevin S; 05-11-2018, 11:25.

Comment

Notice, however, how you get the insight that Gerrard the manager is looking for 'big players to step up... and provide big moments'.

Comment

For anyone who wants to listen to Frank Lampard for five minutes, though, here is his interview after Derby beat Birmingham 3-1 this weekend (having run Chelsea close in midweek).

You get the sense that Lampard thinks an awful lot about how his team should move and use the ball to create a variety of goalscoring chances, and he seems to be pretty good at getting this across to his players so they know what to do when the team is in possession.

I suppose conceding three own goals in two games suggests they may have room for improvement when they don't have it, mind you.

Comment

Working...
                                    X