No announcement yet.

The Irish Sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declan Rice voted Irish young player of the year for 2018 by the sportswriters, no surprise that he's not turning up to collect it.

Comment

If he's not going to turn up to pick that up then
      that is a bit disrespectful.

I see that Manager Mick decided to call up Glenn Whelan. We finally have loads of central midfielders again and Mick Mac reckons we need Glenn Whelan. FFS.

Well, at least Stephen Kenny won't have to worry about starting with high expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
        Declan Rice voted Irish young player of the year for 2018 by the sportswriters, no surprise that he's not turning up to collect it.
        Bit of a joke that the FAI didn't just ignore that and give it to the runner-up... it'd be a nice little accolade for another player

Comment

They said they "had to preserve the integrity of the voting process " which I understand, what I don't understand is who would vote for him when his commitment to the national team was in serious doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
            When it wasn't OK to change nationality, we weren't allowed have Tim Cahill, and now when it is allowed to change nationality, England get Declan Rice.

For what it is worth, I think that players should be able to represent multiple countries. We live in a globalised world with mixed nationality being more and more common. Let somebody declare at the beginning of every qualification campaign who they want to play for. They can change again at the beginning of the next qualification campaign.
            Going back a bit here but if this sort of thing was implemented there would be issues. Handball's player eligibility rules are that a player must have citizenship and not have played in an official match for another national team for three years. Which sort of matches what Anton is suggesting here.

In the 2015 World Championship in Qatar, Qatar had an acknowledged policy of paying to naturalise players so they could qualify to play for Qatar. Most of the players brought in had not played for another national team but some, like Danijel Šarić (who has played for Serbia, Bosnia & Qatar), were people who were no longer part of their original national teams setup and had moved on to play for Qatar.

Comment

Working...
            X