Budgeting for a win: midweek matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budgeting for a win: midweek matchgoing

Wealdstone v Gloucester City tonight. Hopefully I'll make it today...

Made it, but I'm having to sit outside pre-match as there aren't enough seats inside. It's not really the weather for sitting outside longer than is strictly necessary...

Comment

I eventually managed to get an indoor seat you'll all be delighted to know.

Stones are kicking up in the first half but have had the majority of the chances so far.

Remind me to never have chips with my burger here. There's far too many of them...

Comment

Stones score with a good shot that took an impressive deflection...

Comment

Finally a second. Possibly a little unfair on Gloucester.

Comment

A fairly turgid 2-0 win. The word "win" being the most important in that sentence...

Comment

New ground ticked off watching Wisla Krakow draw 2-2 with bottom of the Ekstraklasa team Zaglebie Sosnowiec last night.

Spent a long weekend in Krakow and our taxi driver to/from the obligatory but solemn Auschwitz-Birkenau tour, who is a Wisla fan, took us to a bar near the ground where we met his mates. We were given free comps & then spent the evening at the impressive stadium with them - which looked a bit empty with only 11000 spectators in it. The home fans were moaning like mad about 2 points dropped after a late equaliser, but our hosts and other fans near us treated me & my sister-in-laws partner like celebs as they quizzed us on the ins & outs of our respective clubs (Orient & Oxford U), even if they mostly weren’t so impressed with me declaring an affection for mum’s family town team, Slask Wroclaw, which was still Breslau, Germany when they scarpered in the early 1930s.

Didn’t realise local rivals Cracovia’s grounds was so close by (just a few hundred metres), but that looks more like a shopping mall from the street as it’s lined with retail units.

Comment

got our kid over for a few days, so am going to be at three (dutch cup) games in three days:

today: afc vs. top oss
                tomorrow: ajax vs. go ahead eagles
                thursday: feyenoord vs ado

which is all a bit feast or famine, me having not been to a match in... seven or eight years?

Comment

Off shortly to Sheffield v Marske United in the Northern Premier League League Cup, a tie rendered more attractive by the fact that the competition doesn't bother with extra time and goes straight to penalties if drawn.

Comment

I watched Southport v Curzon Ashton tonight. We actually looked quite good in the first half and should have led by more than one goal. Unfortunately in the second half we sat back a bit and Curzon scored two fairly easily preventable goals - the first when one of their players suddenly found himself given acres of space on the edge of the penalty area and the second when the goalkeeper failed to catch a cross and instead sent it flying up into the air and onto the head of a Curzon player. However Southport did get an equaliser beautifully set up by a long cross field pass from the left back to the right wing.

One of the Curzon forwards had a nasty looking injury. With that stoppage, plus goals and substitutions, the board showed nine minutes of stoppage time. During the additional time there was an injury to a Southport player, so we ended up having well over 100 minutes of football tonight. Sadly we weren't able to get a winner in the additional era, so remain bottom, made worse by the fact that our only league win of the season is against a team (Nuneaton) who look doubtful as to whether they'll finish the season.

Comment

Sheffield 1-3 Marske United

Sheffield are very watchable at the moment, they play football in the right way and in with a good attitude rather than hoofballing at every opportunity and persistently berating the ref. The Corinthian spirit extended to their performance, they missed three really good chances (the first being particularly good, the striker spooned it over the bar from inside the six yard box when literally all he had to do was hit it straight) before the defence disappeared to give Marske the lead. After missing all the good chances it was inevitable that the equaliser would come from a rather difficult situation where the winger did really well to get a shot away. Marske improved after the break, they took the lead midway through the half from a penalty then controlled proceedings before finishing it late on when Sheffield pushed up to chase the game.

Had a right palaver getting home after Northern decided to cancel the train back to Sheffield and as their social media team appears to clock off at 9pm I decided to use my own initiative (idiocy) and had a very brisk walk north to eventually pick up a bus in Woodseats which then took me on a mystery tour through Meersbrook and Heeley. Bet no-one else gets back from Dronfield that way. Still I had time for a pint in the Rutland, so not all bad. Next job this morning is to fire off an apoplectic compensation claim.
                      Last edited by longeared; 31-10-2018, 08:25.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                        Had a right palaver getting home after Northern decided to cancel the train back to Sheffield and as their social media team appears to clock off at 9pm I decided to use my own initiative (idiocy) and had a very brisk walk north to eventually pick up a bus in Woodseats which then took me on a mystery tour through Meersbrook and Heeley. Bet no-one else gets back from Dronfield that way. Still I had time for a pint in the Rutland, so not all bad. Next job this morning is to fire off an apoplectic compensation claim.
                        Ah, this answers a question I was thinking of asking: how easy is it to get between Rotherham and Dronfield on public transport...

Comment

FC United of Manchester 1-1 Alfreton

Second game under FC United's new manager, and second draw. Three without defeat now, meaning they've moved off the bottom of the table. Should have won all three points, but Alfreton's 'keeper saved three one on ones, meaning his team could sneak an equaliser in the 88th minute. My first FCUM game in over a year. Really good seeing the ground again, and chatting to old mates, but I felt nothing when FC's goal went in, and even less when the equaliser went in. Had a hot vimto in the second half, which for a quid sounds reasonable, but it came in an 8oz coffee cup. 8oz isn't enough. 12oz would be optimal.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post

Had a hot vimto in the second half, which for a quid sounds reasonable, but it came in an 8oz coffee cup. 8oz isn't enough. 12oz would be optimal.
                            Troll.

Comment

Listen, man. I don't come on here and have a go at you for eating cockles and seaweed for breakfast, I just accept that in other parts of the British Isles people do things differently. I, and most other right thinking people, may think the Welsh are filthy animals for sticking beach crap on their egg on toast, but we must still accept that the nation's rich and diverse heritage includes such perversions.

Comment

Laverbread is disgusting (I prefer Gentleman’s Relish) though the cockles & bacon it is often served with is a fantastic combination.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-10-2018, 11:32.

Comment

Is that the stuff made out of pickled fish guts?

Comment

Gentleman’s Relish? It’s anchovy paste, very strongly fishy and salty.

Comment

It sounds like a euphemism Jarvis off of the Mary Whitehouse Experience would use.

Comment

That's the stuff. I recently stumbled across marinated anchovies, in one of the supermarkets people with 4x4s go to, and it changed my life. These are the whole fish, not just the filleted bits, so are bigger, and still look silver not brown. Bit like thin sardines. Absolutely delicious on toast.
                                        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 31-10-2018, 12:07.

Comment

I was at Cracovia's ground a few weeks back, looked a bit like Billingham Forum.

Comment

Working...
                                          X