Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former players travelling on public transport but still keen to be recognised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former players travelling on public transport but still keen to be recognised?

Number 1 - Cafu on Roma’s (the city of one of his former club’s) Metro? ;

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-10-2018, 13:24.

I was on a train with former City clogger Michael Brown once. He sat down - in an otherwise empty carriage - on a table in front of an attractive girl, who was, it turned out, a model on her way to a shoot in Manchester. He got out his phone and called his agent, loudly spoke about how he needed something or another sorting before Sheffield United's FA Cup game against Chelsea. He was basically shouting I AM A FOOTBALLER I AM A FOOTBALLER I AM A FOOTBALLER until the model noticed. She noticed, they had a chat, swapped numbers, and I pissed myself laughing as I got off the train and someone banged on the window and yelled "Fuck off, City."

I told my mate, a Blue, this story that evening and he told me that Brown lived close to him and was married. So there you have it. Michael Brown was a shit dirty bastard on the pitch and off it.

Comment

I once sat across a train aisle from Mickey Thomas as he had a chat with comedian Alan Davies, in the summer Brendan Batson told me that Celtic had gone through on the tram platform at The Hawthorns station.

Comment

I was on a train with Henri Lansbury a couple of years back from Norwich to Nottingham.

He was at Forest at the time, and either injured or suspended, and had presumably in Norwich seeing old team-mates the night before. I was off to Forest v Ipswich, but going early to see friends, so the train was fairly empty. Some Forest fans had got on a couple of stops before Nottingham, spotted him, but waited until we reached Nottingham to say anything to him. He'd sat in the corner, was really really polite to the fans when they did eventually speak to him, and he didn't crumple into a heap and writhe on the floor in agony whenever someone came within six feet of him.

Comment

Football pundits Chris Kamara (who had a relatively high-profile playing career) and Adrian Chiles (who didn't) have shared my tube carriage in recent years.

The former was very nicely turned-out and absolutely not wearing Portsmouth, Brentford or Luton colours to help the tourists identify him.

Comment

Jermain Jenas used to go out in Nottingham in a white t-shirt with Jenas 7 on the back.

Comment

That gave something of an open goal, didn't it? "Ah, you must be Jermain Jenas? Yeah, I've vaguely heard of you. You play Football, right? Like the t-shirt. Very handy. Without it I wouldn't have had a clue who you were..."

Comment

There's the old, probably apocryphal, story about a Liverpool fan meeting John Barnes in a pub.

"Are you John Barnes?"
                "Yes."
                "The John Barnes who plays for Liverpool?"
                "Yes."
                "The same Liverpool that Ian Rush plays for?"
                "Yes..."
                "Do you know Ian Rush?"
                "Well... yes, course I do."
                "Then why don't you ever fucking pass to him then?"

Comment

Working...
                X