Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White No Sugar
    replied
    Driving up North yesterday morning and fiddling with the car radio I chanced upon Talksport. You’ll never guess what one of their audience participation questions was......

Leave a comment:

• DPDPDPDP
    replied
    Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post
    I forgot that (now pundits) Chris Sutton (Lincoln) and Mark Lawrenson (Oxford) were once managers.

Not sure why but I'm continually surprised every time Alex Ferguson's stint as Scotland boss comes up, probably because the history I remember says he went from Aberdeen directly to Man Utd - he did but was also Scotland manager at the time. (I clearly remember Ferguson was a manager, however)

Neville Southall being joint manager of Wales (alongside a host of Kent non-league clubs) is also an odd one these days..
    Ferguson was temporary assistant manager to Jock Stein, whilst he was still manager of Aberdeen. When Stein died of a heart attack after the Wales WC qualifier in September 1985 and Ferguson became Scotland manager until after the 1986 WC, whilst still being manager of Aberdeen. He left Aberdeen for Man U in November 1986.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Bobby Moore at Oxford City

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    There seemed to be a belief that if you played under a great manager, his magic dust would make one of you. Hence the over-representation of Revie and Ramsey players, and now Ferguson ones.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
    And can I rename the thread 'Famous players you wish you'd forgotten were ever managers'?
    I'd like to do this for Mark Fucking Hateley, please.

Leave a comment:

• wishis
    replied
    Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    To complete the 1966 picture. Ray Wilson had an inauspicious period at Bradford City.

George Cohen and Roger Hunt appear to be the only members of that team never to have dipped their toes into managerial waters.
    Cohen managed non league Tonbridge around 1974, so a bit of a paddle, winning the club the Kent senior cup....

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
    And can I rename the thread 'Famous players you wish you'd forgotten were ever managers'?
    If I can include Brian Little... sure!

Leave a comment:

• 1974ddr
    replied
    Does Remi Garde count as a famous player?

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Reading an article about the post-1966 careers of England's world cup winners, it mentioned that Nobby Stiles was West Brom's manager in 85-86. I'd totally forgotten that. I literally have no recollection of him in a dugout.
    Nobby the manager, 15 seconds in.

Bobby Charlton failing at Preston was one of my "Santa isn't real?" moments from childhood. I was just old enough for the end of his playing career, but had seen very little TV coverage of him in action. He was a hero through football annuals and sticker albums, which made him all the more infallible in the imagination.

The notion that he could get sacked from anything was like ... well, England not going to the World Cup. A mean trick played by lying grown-ups.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Ronnie Whelan's managerial career was short and unusual, two years at Southend followed by a couple of years traveling around the lesser known backwaters of Greece and Cyprus

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Frank Worthington's time in charge of Tranmere is often forgotten. So is Arthur Albiston's tenure at Droylsden FC although that's more understandable.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Still a hero to me.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Adrian Heath belongs in the category of 'Famous players you'd forgotten'

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Adrian Heath seems to be a forgotten manager over here but has had success in the US and currently has an MLS gig.

Leave a comment:

• SouthdownRebel
    replied
    Gerry Armstrong spent four years managing Worthing in the Isthmian league in the early '90s.

Sami Hyypia managed to turn Brighton from Championship playoff contenders to relegation candidates in a matter of months before Chris Hughton replaced him. I think he was at Leverkusen before that.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Asa Hartford was also at Stockport for a while, I remember him glaring at me at the Old Showground when I was obviously discussing his hole in the heart a little too loudly from a few rows back. I also remember him being extremely foul mouthed.

David Platt seemingly had good credentials for management, being reasonably intelligent, good experience as a player with some good managers (Taylor, Wenger, Robson, Eriksson), but his management of Nottingham Forest was pretty disastrous, his England U21 stint was a little better, but otherwise he was just Bobby Mancini's mate at Man City, and most recently a brief stint at FC Pune in India.

Leave a comment:

• Big Boobs and FIRE!
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Though I can’t find any record of it so must be mistaken.
    I think you’re right. The paper won an award for it, and the next edition of private eye called them out by showing the original headline. I think it was from the 1960s.

Leave a comment:

• Giggler
    replied
    Originally posted by Giggler View Post
    He's on the opening titles of Granada Kick Off from a period in the 70s in a game versus Bury at Gigg Lane. I'll dig it out on YouTube when I'm home.
    From 1977. Not quite the best-known and loved by Francis Monkman, but still a bit of a wig-out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11lJ0sKTdU

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    Gary Neville and Alan Shearer must both wish they and everyone else would forget their attempts at management.
    Dietmar Hamann spent four months as manager of Stockport, and his Wikipedia picture is of him during this period looking completely terrified outside Tamworth's ground.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    To complete the 1966 picture. Ray Wilson had an inauspicious period at Bradford City.

George Cohen and Roger Hunt appear to be the only members of that team never to have dipped their toes into managerial waters.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Asa Hartford was manager at Shrewsbury for a season.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I don't understand that headline at all

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    I think the story was the newspaper in question had already thought it up ready for an Old Firm game (Coisty rather than Calley) but that no match had panned out quite right for them to employ it. So it was sitting there in reserve when the Cup shock happened, and got repurposed. They did reuse it for a subsequent game when McCoist scored a number of times in a one-sided affair.
    This reminds of a, I think, S*n story 'reporting' on Princess Di wearing a blue dress to a function in Italy that she previously had worn somewhere else. The headline was "Did Di idle the eyeties" and I assumed that they had made up the story as the had thought up the headline. However, I am now unable to find any trace of this so wonder if I made up the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Chris Waddle at Burnley.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Gordon Banks - Telford

The late Paul Futcher at Darlington

Viv Anderson at Barnsley

Leave a comment:

Working...